Bluejeans and menu's

Jalex63

I left comment on this subject in another thread about dress code, but feel it important enough to have it's own thread.

Just came off the Ryndam this morning and have two things to report.

1. Bluejeans are now allowed in the dining room except on formal nights. I discussed this with the Matre"D and was told that they were tired of fighting with customers about it. Still no shorts allowed.

2. Dining room menu's are totally changed. Main menu no longer has a separate "everyday" section and if I recall correctly the old format of "Appetizer" "Soups" and" Maincourse" has now been consolidated to just two sections. Dessert menu was not presented in folder, but was merely a piece of paper handed to you.

Don't know if these changes are fleet wide or just apply to the Ryndam, but they were not this way on our cruise on the Veendam last November.

Jeans have been allowed in the dinning room at dinner time for several years now.

Gosh, looks like we have been asleep at the switch? We still held the belief that neither Jeans nor Shorts were acceptable in public areas of the boat after 6:00 p.m.:cool:

On our second cruise, long before I found CC, my DH brought his suit for formal night and dress shorts for other nights. The only other long pants he had were his jeans. He and out fellow cruiser were turned away because of the shorts and he came back with the jeans. That was acceptable. I was fine with all of that, rules you know, until an overweight woman in too short shorts and a too small tube top was allowed in. We follow the rules with long pants for non-formal nights but it still bothers me how women are allowed in with some of their outfits.

The Nieuw Amsterdam switched menu formats the third week in November. In talking to people who had never cruised HAL before, they liked all the choices. I think it only confused those of us who were used to the old format.

The only thing that I found a little strange was that the every day items weren't on the formal night menu, but they were available if you asked. (Not that I couldn't find something on the formal menus... I was just playing the part of intrepid reporter.

This is what the formal menus looked like. There was a Silver one and a Gold one - different for each formal night. They were a multi panel, horizontal fold out in a cream colored stock with metallic accent printing.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/c43a027e-9666-4d4b-ae23-586ac1862e52/1d142967500222690313007775af2560

Edited by POA1

2. Dining room menu's are totally changed. Main menu no longer has a separate "everyday" section and if I recall correctly the old format of "Appetizer" "Soups" and" Maincourse" has now been consolidated to just two sections. Dessert menu was not presented in folder, but was merely a piece of paper handed to you.

Don't know if these changes are fleet wide or just apply to the Ryndam, but they were not this way on our cruise on the Veendam last November.

It was the new menu on our Westerdam cruise last month and assume it will be on our Noordam cruise in May.

However, it was pointed out that you could still order from their "everyday" menu which my granddaughter did extensively. It's probably because so many people asked about the change. Dessert menus were in the folders.

I've seen jeans in the dining room for the past couple of years, just like the other lines have adopted. But not on Formal Night.

Gosh, looks like we have been asleep at the switch? We still held the belief that neither Jeans nor Shorts were acceptable in public areas of the boat after 6:00 p.m.:cool:

Well, you might be interested to know that it is a "ship" and not a boat, and that decent jeans (without tears) have been allowed in the MDR for quite some time. Although we personally would not even consider wearing jeans to the MDR, we understand that for a segment of the population jeans are their formal wear, everyday wear, anytime wear.

Hank