Oasis - Wifi Prices Drastically Reduced

TrojanUSC

On an apple phone if you PIN lock the SIM card the GPS will work. The GPS will not work in airplane mode.

I have an iPhone and used it a great deal on our recent Oasis cruise. Bought the unlimited package and did as clarea said. First I put the phone into airplane mode. You can do this in SETTINGS or by swiping up on the home screen. THEN you turn wifi back on. With this done, I was able to iMessage anyone who has an iPhone and use FaceTime Video and Audio.. thus make calls back home to family who had iPhones.

To anyone who wants to see how it works, I suggest trying it at home on your home wifi. Turn on airplane mode, and then turn wifi back on.

But the comment about locking the SIM card ... not sure what this has to do with using wifi on the ship so it's got me wondering if I missed something?

That was the price on the Feb 7 sailing as well

$140 before any discounts for loyalty for 2 devices unlimited and for 1 device unlimited $105 for the week before discount. I ended up paying $75 for the week with my D+ discount. The info sheet they give you says 'packages from $10 per day"

The speed was very good and my husband did do a couple of speed tests to confirm that.

It certainly was much faster than on the transatlantic in October and way better than my Nov inaugural sailing on Quantum both in speed and price.

Am on Quantum in April so will be comparing

This is awesome. I like to unplug but watching Netflix at night is nice, and checking email and Facetime will be great. I expect DH and I will bring 1 laptop, our iPhones, the kids' iPad minis, and my iPad, mostly for the plane. If you have more than two devices, can you disconnect one (i.e. is it just concurrent) or can you pay extra? And what is the D+ discount?

Edited by CountryMom27

This is awesome. I like to unplug but watching Netflix at night is nice, and checking email and Facetime will be great. I expect DH and I will bring 1 laptop, our iPhones, the kids' iPad minis, and my iPad, mostly for the plane. If you have more than two devices, can you disconnect one (i.e. is it just concurrent) or can you pay extra? And what is the D+ discount?

I could not get Netflix to work on my iPads or iPhone. I had the premium speed. On the 1/24 cruise they were still selling three different speeds. No one could figure out why. It was not blocked. Netflix said it was a speed issue. RCCL said it was the Netflix app. Someone told me their Amazon prime worked. After a few days I gave up trying to troubleshoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for explaining how to use the phone on the ship. I was confused....:o Really looking forward to trying it on the Oasis in May.

One more question...does anyone know if the wifi on the Jewel has improved or will be by October? DH got very frustrated on our last cruise due to the Wifi (He has to connect with his clients. He is self employed.) He keeps asking me if there is any word on the internet speed on the Jewel since we will be on her for 15 days again in October.

Thank you all for explaining how to use the phone on the ship. I was confused....:o Really looking forward to trying it on the Oasis in May.

One more question...does anyone know if the wifi on the Jewel has improved or will be by October? DH got very frustrated on our last cruise due to the Wifi (He has to connect with his clients. He is self employed.) He keeps asking me if there is any word on the internet speed on the Jewel since we will be on her for 15 days again in October.

Don't know about the speed, but Jewel does not have wireless all over the ship. There are about a half-dozen hotspots around the ship with wireless coverage. No coverage in staterooms.

As far as I know, only the Oasis, Allure, Quantum and Anthem have O3B internet. Super fast internet. I have actually wondered if Royal had thought about updating their other ships to this type of connectivity. I think it would be a selling point much like hotels all offer internet.

I'm gonna have to get my carrier to explain. I can't figure it out on my phone.. :confused:

Do you have wifi at home or somewhere?

You can try this out by yourself, or with some family help. It really is easy. Calling the carrier is looking for trouble.

Switch to airplane mode, then turn wifi on. All internet connections will then be via WIFI.

You can also just turn DATA ROAMING off and your phone will not use cellular for data. It will be capable of sending and receiving phones calls though.

Edited by garycarla

Just a heads up, there have also been special deals on the TVs in our room the last couple of days.

Yesterday there was a last 3 days internet special for $60, today there's a last 2 days special for $40.

Good options if you can wait for a few days before signing up, I would have done that instead if I'd known it was going to be available.