Emerald Princess turning around towards Texas

Rancher Dave

Well Emerald might have trouble getting back too - the dreaded fog is back in the forecast for Houston. We got this notice because we're boarding Sunday:

POTENTIAL FOR DELAYED EMBARKATION

Please be advised that weather forecasts for this coming weekend predict heavy fog for the Houston area. It is possible that Emerald Princess'

return to Houston on Sunday, February 22, 2015, may be delayed, which would result in a delayed embarkation for your cruise.

We will continue to monitor the situation and will communicate further updates as they become available. You may also contact us at

1-866-246-6761 for updates and to provide us with an email address and/or mobile phone number if you have not already done so.

Thank you for your attention to this notification. We look forward to welcoming you on board Emerald Princess.

Onboard the Emerald second day out of Houston last week we stopped at Cozumel for a medical emergency disembark. We stopped a mile or 2 off the main pier and a launch came out and picked up the patient.

Captain Fortezze was very forthcoming with info on the delay.

We made Roatan with no delay.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Medical emergencies do happen on ships just like on land. Their medical facilities are very limited so they have to evacuate the patient. Also pax do die while aboard and they have a morgue for such horrible occasions.

I looked at the forecast for the weekend in Seabrook (near Bayport) and the forecast for Sunday at this time is overcast with rain showers at times, high 69F, winds ENE at 10 to 20 mph, chance of rain 50%. Let us hope the fog does not interfere with the ship's turn around. I will be watching the online cam for the ship and port.

Nothing new from Princess, but we are watching the weather forecasts carefully since we live across town from the port and will be on the sailing. The weather forecast does call for possible areas of fog, but do not call for heavy fog as of now. There will be an artic cold front pass though the Houston area sometime Sunday or Sunday night. Therefore, plan on possible falling temperatures into the forties or lower. It is in the 70s today and maybe warmer tomorrow depending when the front actually arrives. Some rain is expected, but only expected to be light. I recommend that you bring clothes for cool to cold, and possibly wet, weather.

I know that this post is all over the place, but the forecasts have been changing frequently, especially concerning the arrival of the cold front. I will update the weather here when I hear anything new. See everyone one Sunday and hopefully not in the fog.

We did experience an medical emergency quite far from Hawaii. The ship sped up to maximum speed and we reached one of the islands the night before we were supposed to. We later heard it was a woman who had suffered a miscarriage and was hemorraging. So it can happen.

Similar thing happened on a trip from Tahiti to Australia. We arrived in Tasmania a full day ahead of schedule.

Onboard the Emerald second day out of Houston last week we stopped at Cozumel for a medical emergency disembark. We stopped a mile or 2 off the main pier and a launch came out and picked up the patient.

Captain Fortezze was very forthcoming with info on the delay.

We made Roatan with no delay.

Interesting. I suppose Cozumel is as good as anyplace to do that. In fact probably better than speeding to Roatan before offloading patient to local hospital. One docking in Cozumel, in fact it may have even been Princess last year we arrived an hour or two early to offload someone to an ambulance.

Medical emergencies do happen on ships just like on land. Their medical facilities are very limited so they have to evacuate the patient. Also pax do die while aboard and they have a morgue for such horrible occasions.

I looked at the forecast for the weekend in Seabrook (near Bayport) and the forecast for Sunday at this time is overcast with rain showers at times, high 69F, winds ENE at 10 to 20 mph, chance of rain 50%. Let us hope the fog does not interfere with the ship's turn around. I will be watching the online cam for the ship and port.

Yes so true about the cold body storage facilities. I suspect they get used more on the longer cruises that cater to an older crowd, but then again young folks die at times unexpectedly as well.

As for this weekend local meteorologist made comments about possible fog on Sunday and Monday. Apparently starting Sunday the temps will drop and drop and drop until they hit rock bottom on Tuesday. Guess I will go to the ranch tomorrow before it gets any colder.