Antarctica on the Prinsendam

casamariposa

I'm booked on the first leg of the Prinsendam's Grand South America Voyage next January. I'm hoping a CC member who has sailed this route can tell me about activities in the waters of the Antarctic. I am aware that there are environmental concerns. It is too early to find out about any excursions in the general area of the Antarctic, but are there any close to the ice formations. I know that some of the smaller exploration cruise lines launch zodiacs, but that is not something I can physically handle. Just need an overview from some helpful soul who has taken this route on the Prinsendam. Thanks.

HAL doesn't launch zodiacs or make landfall in Antarctic waters. Any shore excursions will be in South America or the Falklands. There will be scenic cruising only in Antarctic waters.

I sailed in the area on the Zaandam, and we had many great talks on Antarctica, in addition to the usual onboard activities.

Had the pleasure of cruising the Prinsedam's Grand So America in 2013. As stated before - no off ship activities but awesome scenery and wonderful lecturers. We gave a prof and his grad students a lift to the US station and in exchange they lectured on their research which is tagging whales with locators and cameras. The slides and videos were unbelievable! The head of the NZ research station was the 'play by play' lecturer along with a mammal expert. He talked about the berg formations, the different kind of ice, the different types of research done there, past explorations, etc. and she would announce - "off the port side about 10 o'clock, we have 6 whales bubble feeding". We had wonderful weather and were able to get further in than in past cruises, per the captain. One awesome part was we sailed between 2 ice bergs that were so huge - they are miles long and 1 is used as an airport - you had to crane your neck to look up to the top. The little ice berg floating not 5 feet from the promenade deck with 6 penguins on it was so cool! Hundreds, thousands of penguins swam with us for miles! The beauty of the Prinsedam is she is small enough to get into the bays, not just sail past them. We were in 1 bay and the captain did a 360 turn as we were almost ringed with massive ice bergs! They were serving soup out on the deck while this occurred - moments memories are made of.....

From Ushuaia. you can get tours that will take you to the ice fields which occasionally calve an ice berg on the way to the sea lion island. It was on a catamaran that had an inside cabin and was a good tour.

I've been there three times on three different HAL ships (none the Prinsendam). I'll confirm everything that's been posted about the experience down there. You will be in awe looking at the huge tabular icebergs; you will look straight down over the side and see small icebergs alongside. You will see penguins sliding off the bergs.

And when you can force yourself inside, there will be a variety of lecturers telling you everything you could ever want to know about this alien land.

I would add that you really do want to be outside on deck for as much of the time in the Antarctic as you can. The lectures are top-notch, but the scenery is stupendous!

Another thing: don't stay in one place , but go froward and aft, high and low. The perspectives are so different, you can't take it all in from one location.

Outstanding cruise/itinerary you have booked. Really the best cruises we have been on!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Thank you one and all! That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I had planned to bundle up and be out on deck. I can't wait to hear the lecturers...and see those penguins. (I remember the puffins floating by in Glacier Bay. And the hot pea soup!) I recognize that weather can spoil things, but I'm a seasoned cruiser and roll with whatever comes our way. Just being back on that lovely little ship is something to look forward to.

If you have not heard it already, no heavy coats, but layers... layers... and more layers. One day scenic cruising we were fine in a shirt and fleece, the next we were freezing our as*^s off on the bow in 5 layers.

And dont worry about it being a "drive by" cruise. We were on the Veendam, and on numerous occasions we were close enough to dry land to hit it with a well thrown baseball. (And gag over the smell from the penguin colonies! :D )

We've done Antarctica three times, none on Prinsendam, only one on HAL, the other two on Princess when they were still doing it.

Love it, love it, love it and it's on our bucket list to do again. This is a place where the scenery changes each and every time you go. Don't hesitate - we'd love to be able to join you!!

Lecturers on both lines were excellent. As mentioned, layering, layering, layering is what it's all about. And some of the chemical packs of Hot Hands or similar can really come in handy.

Have a great time and we hope to hear back from you after or perhaps during the trip!

We've done Antarctica three times, none on Prinsendam, only one on HAL, the other two on Princess when they were still doing it.

Love it, love it, love it and it's on our bucket list to do again. This is a place where the scenery changes each and every time you go. Don't hesitate - we'd love to be able to join you!!

Lecturers on both lines were excellent. As mentioned, layering, layering, layering is what it's all about. And some of the chemical packs of Hot Hands or similar can really come in handy.

Have a great time and we hope to hear back from you after or perhaps during the trip!

Thanks for the tips about Hot Hands...and layering!

We too were on the Prinsendam in 2013 & agree it was one of the best cruises we've ever taken.. Only regret was we did not spend enough time out on deck as it was too cold for both of us.. We were dressed in Layers, I even had a fur hat & fur vest, but the cold really got to us both.. However, we were fortunate to get a window seat in the Crows Nest.. Even in the Crows Nest getting so close to the Ice Bergs was awesome! Also wish I could have taped the lectures too..

All the above posters explained it very well.. BTW the soup HAL served was Homemade Pea soup, which was delicious.. Would love to do the trip again with DH & our best Friends, but don't think we will be able to do it..

Hope we will be able to have one more cruise sometime next year..

"God willing & the creek don't rise!"

We are originally from MN -- the land of minus zero temps. One item that I found helped with staying warmer with layering is a silk undershirt, or a cotton men's undershirt. Any natural fiber that will cling to you will hold in more heat. Then the turtleneck, then the sweater, then the fleece vest, then the jacket, then the hat (VERY IMPORTANT), then the scarf, then the mittens (warmer than gloves). Don't forget warm socks! For me, cold feet is a killer and have used the equivalent of warm hands for my feet. Also have lunch in the MDR as on the promenade deck so you can quickly run out if something spectacular is happening (like the bubble feeding whales) - go early and get a window seat.

I'm from up north but have lived in Florida for 24 years. I forgot about natural fibers. They do make a difference. If I weren't going to be flying back from Buenos Aires, I would take my LL Bean Maine Warden's Parka, but it takes up too much room. I knew there was a reason I haven't tossed my shearling lined gloves! I expect I'll look like one half of Tweedle Dum/Tweedle Dee. My hand will probably be fused to the pea soup mug!

ASK the MDR head waiter when and where they will be serving the pea soup. It's not everywhere and definitely not all the time, so getting any of that tasty treat can be a hit or miss proposition. (But well worth the effort!)

Probably half the passengers I spoke to missed out on our trip, we stumbled across some purely by accident.

Another thing to mention: it was between 32 and 36 degrees F in the Antarctic when we have been there.

I was out on deck in that silk underwear (excellent), 2 sweaters and a fleece vest when moving slowly (Newmeyer Channel, Hope Bay), but put on a hooded coat, 2 layers of gloves, scarf and a toque under the hood when moving or when it was windy. Then is started to snow!!!! WOW!

So, the temperatures may not vary much, but the wind is a killer!

Handy to have a cabin close to the outside decks so you can zip in, grab more clothes and accessories and be back out fast!

ASK the MDR head waiter when and where they will be serving the pea soup. It's not everywhere and definitely not all the time, so getting any of that tasty treat can be a hit or miss proposition. (But well worth the effort!)

Probably half the passengers I spoke to missed out on our trip, we stumbled across some purely by accident.

Be aware, be quick: it will go cold before you can say "iceberg"!