Things for seniors to in ports in Hawaii

pris993

Considering a 14 day cruise to Hawaii ...

We did a cruise to the island some years ago, then we simply explored what was available near the port, don't recall that much was near the ports.

What we would really enjoy is visiting towns on our own. Wonder if we can simply take a taxi (we prefer not to rent a car in an area we don't know) from the port to near by towns on the islands of Hilo, Maui and Kauai? We like to do is shop, see how folks live and enjoy some local foods.

Any suggestions?

We did a cruise to the island some years ago, then we simply explored what was available near the port, don't recall that much was near the ports.

What we would really enjoy is visiting towns on our own. Wonder if we can simply take a taxi (we prefer not to rent a car in an area we don't know) from the port to near by towns on the islands of Hilo, Maui and Kauai? We like to do is shop, see how folks live and enjoy some local foods.

Any suggestions?

You'll not have a problem getting around to the town. In most ports there are shuttle to the shopping/tourist area . Honolulu is the only city where you are docked a distance from most attractions.

Hilo is on the Island of Hawaii (aka the Big Island) and the highlight from that port is Volcanoes National Park, but if you prefer to just explore in town, you could do that.

On Maui, it will depend on which port you're in (Kahului or Lahaina). Lahaina would be much more interesting as it's an historical town on the beautiful west side of Maui.

On Kauai, the ship docks in Lihue, but there are so many other nicer places to visit on Kauai that I would consider doing a shore excursion here. Waimea Canyon is called the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific" - a very impressive highlight on the island!

Taxis are expensive in Hawaii - suggest doing some research to see what would be of interest to you on each island and then work out the logistics for getting to those places. A guidebook would be helpful - perhaps your local library has some for Hawaii. Hawaii's tourism website is also a good place for research.

Any suggestions?

We are seniors also. We are mobile although I have had both my hips replaced. But I sure consider myself able to do most things any other 'younger' person can do. When we visited, a few years ago, we hiked Diamond Head, rented cars in every ports, did most of the things all the other tourists do. Why are you so set on just hanging around the ports, when it is so easy to see and do so many things.

I love to drive, so renting cars was no big deal, but it is NOT as scary as you think. Hawaii is basically a couple of main roads that take you where you want to go. (Speaking of roads, why is there an interstate in Hawaii?:D:D).

You can get around by bus in Honolulu, get to Pearl Harbor Etc. but please, unless you have severe mobility issues, and even with that, you can easily rent cars and go to a few magnificent places. The people on boards like this will help you every step of the way, which places to rent those cars, which places to see and even how to get there and back.

It's Hawaii, go for it.

Cheers

Len

• 1 month later...

We were in Kahau in November and hired a private tour guide name Jay Dorrance, Tread Lightly Tours. He was the most wonderful and interesting man we have ever had for a tour. He has lived in Kauai for 15 years and does personalized tours. He will pick you up and take you wherever you want to go. We did a one day (7 hours) tour to the canyon, Poipu, Spouting Horn and so many other places I can't even remember the names. We enjoyed him so much and the experience we decided to use him the next day for another 7 hour tour to the North shore. Princeville, Hanalei, and places in between. You cannot go wrong with Jay. He has a website and responds very quickly to requests. I can't quote prices because that wouldn't be fair to Jay. But I can tell you it was reasonable and well worth it! Aloha

Please rent a car if you have a long day ashore. You are in the USA in Hawaii and if you drive at home you can drive there too. Locals are very friendly and there are not many roads so it's hard to get lost.

Get out away from the ship and see a beautiful state.

Aloha

My hubby's number one rule on cruises is no renting of cars (he wants to relax). We have done the driving around Kauai during our honeymoon so he goes by my research (guide books and googling each port) for ideas of what to do in port. So for our three Hawaiian cruises (the two week ones on Princess, of course), we'll decide among us (including our daughter).

Some of the ports do have free shuttles to the local Hilo Hatties and some other stores such as Walmart. You can do a little shopping or not and then leave. No obligation.

What you might want to do is to get a good guidebook (libraries have them and if you find one you like, you can buy the most recent edition on Amazon, etc.). Also google. Google maps will give you a good idea if places you want to see are near the port or if you need a taxi. Get the names and phone numbers of taxi companies and program at least a few for each port into your cell phone before your cruise.

Hilo is on the Big Island of Hawaii on the east end. There is a bus, but it doesn't go in a linear path and seems to run on "island time." Some people will take an excursion to the Volcano National Park. One couple from our ship had taken a taxi, but then the driver didn't have the permit to enter the park (so that's something to check out first -- probably better to take an official excursion).

Honolulu doesn't really have too many free shuttles. There's a city bus which we've taken, but we've also taken taxis. There's also a trolley system (there's three circuits, depending on whether you want to shop, play tourist, and there's a third I can't think of off the bat).

Kauai, you'll dock in Nawiliwili. There's many free shuttles outside the terminal. Some go into Lihue, some go to the Anchor Cover shopping center or the Harbor shopping center (many people can just walk there). Those last two are very close to a nice beach.

If tendering in Lahaina, there's a quaint town. You can also take a bus to various other locations such as Ka'anapali, where there's a nice beach as well as Whalers Village.

Going back to an unanswered question- there are three freeways on Oahu (H1, H2, H3) and they were built to facilitate military convoys going to and from Pearl Harbor/ Hickam AFB from other bases on the island and of course help general traffic circulation. Unfortunately even with these roads there is severe traffic congestion in and out of Honolulu during commute periods. Allow extra time and you will be OK.

• 3 weeks later...
Hilo is not a place I want to waste time in shopping. My priorities.... would be a volcano excursion, possibly with a helicopter tour.

http://www.bluehawaiian.com/bigisland/video/Big_Island_Intro (lava sightings are not guaranteed)

Last

Sept (I'm a senior) did an afternoon excursion but took a free shuttle to the Hilo Farmers Market in the AM - interesting things and I bought some gifts - home made soap , there were lots of jewellery, and other items also. Beautiful flowers

With all the activity up on Kiluea at this time around the crater there is a lot of traffic so you do need to be prepared and allow plenty of times if you decide to go to the National Park.. Agree a helicopter tour would be great but it is also very expensive. Not much in the way of shopping in Hilo but it can be entertaining to walk around. The Tsunami museum is quite interesting to visit.

• 1 month later...

We are seniors and rented a car at each port except Hilo. We brought our own gps as we are used to it and it worked out great. My husband is not one used to being in "city" traffic ( we live in a rural community in the middle of a national forest) but found we had no problems. In Hilo we took Ricky's tour which was great. My husband has a few mobility problems as he has had back surgery and has a plate in his ankle but Ricky's tour was great for him. Please rethink the rental thing. I think you would be very pleased with your own itinerary.

Considering a 14 day cruise to Hawaii ... We did a cruise to the island some years ago, then we simply explored what was available near the port, don't recall that much was near the ports. What we would really enjoy is visiting towns on our own. Wonder if we can simply take a taxi (we prefer not to rent a car in an area we don't know) from the port to near by towns on the islands of Hilo, Maui and Kauai? We like to do is shop, see how folks live and enjoy some local foods. Any suggestions?

Aloha :D

You sound like me. On the island of Hawaii (Hilo) the only big attraction is the Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park that can be accessed by tour from the Hilo cruise port. This takes quite a few hours. Whether you book thru the cruise line or directly with the tour company, it's basically the same tour. I depends on how many hours you have in port.

Hilo is on the same island as Kona. Many ships stop at both. There are normally shuttles from the ports to the shopping areas and all of the island ports have a lot of locals living in them, so a lot of local foods and you don't really need a car. I always ask people I meet at attractions and in stores where and what they eat, explaining that I want to enjoy their culture (trust me that Hawaii is not that different from San Mateo). I am basically a foodie and eat when we travel.

We're going on a 9 day, NE & CA, tour in Sept. and plan to walk in/from the ports into the town areas and eat lobster and shop. The only place where we will be using ground transportation is Boston. We're taking the Old Town Trolley HOHO loop because my wife said we are.

One thing about getting "senior" is the memory lets me meet new people every day and I eat different things all of the time. My computer crashed at the end of last year and I lost my back-up drives at the same time so I can't look at the old pictures I took on our vacations. So everything is new again!

Aloha :D