Airporf Timing Question

twopats

Our sailing out of Montreal on the Serenade docking at Fort Lauderdale is scheduled to dock at 6:00 a.m. There is one non-stop flight to San Francisco leaving FLL at 10:20 a.m. I know the airport is very close to the cruise port and wonder about gambling and booking that flight. We are not adverse to handling our luggage ourselves but wonder what everyone thinks about booking this flight. Trish

We did the self disembark on the Liberty last weekend. We were off the boat and through customs by 8:15, at the airport by about 8:30.

And we didn't rush. Weren't the first people off the boat either. If you're at the meeting area early, you'll likely be off the ship even sooner. We also weren't the only ship in port.

So it's doable. However, if there are any delays, you might be pushing it.

Our sailing out of Montreal on the Serenade docking at Fort Lauderdale is scheduled to dock at 6:00 a.m. There is one non-stop flight to San Francisco leaving FLL at 10:20 a.m. I know the airport is very close to the cruise port and wonder about gambling and booking that flight. We are not adverse to handling our luggage ourselves but wonder what everyone thinks about booking this flight. Trish

Answered in the other thread too:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45652909&postcount=313

If the stars are aligned correctly you can make it. Do walk off as early as possible (7-730 has been our experience) and you should be in the airport by 830ish. Of course you should have a backup plan in case the ship is late, customs is slow, or any number of other things. Guess it depends on if you are a gambler and how your luck is.

Jut to clarify, but you are sailing out of Quebec to Fort Lauderdale.:D

We just flew out of FLL on February 8th and our flight was at 11:29. We were disembarking Allure so there are more pax to contend with. We were off the ship by 8:20 and at the airport and through TSA at 9:00.

Edited by cruisenfever

Ya we did the repo last October from Boston to Tampa with a group of 6 of us and we had a 9:45 flight on Southwest to Buffalo and we even lost a bag on the schuttle and we still were clear in fair time. Was a bit crazy after we lost the bag the driver put it on the ground when dropping people at a different airline than ours ended up in lost and found and they brought it to us.

Good luck

Brian J

I agree with comment about self disembark. We did it a year ago off of Indy we had never done this, but thought why not try it. We walked off around 6:45 to customs. Then we got two taxis and we were at the airport by 7:30. Crazy thing was Southwest wouldn't allow us to check our luggage (even though we had boarding passes) until 4 hrs prior to our flight. So we had to sit in a very small area for an hour then we were allowed to get checked in. Didn't make us very happy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with comment about self disembark. We did it a year ago off of Indy we had never done this, but thought why not try it. We walked off around 6:45 to customs. Then we got two taxis and we were at the airport by 7:30. Crazy thing was Southwest wouldn't allow us to check our luggage (even though we had boarding passes) until 4 hrs prior to our flight. So we had to sit in a very small area for an hour then we were allowed to get checked in. Didn't make us very happy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not crazy at all. It's a commonly adhered to policy at FLL due to the high number of cruise pax; in fact, the limit with Delta is 3 hours before flight time. Any earlier and you can't check bags. They simply cannot accommodate the thousands of bags that people would like to check early in the a.m. so that they can do a day of sightseeing before returning for afternoon/evening flights.