Just received our "upgrade" email offer!

VTcruisenut

We are 24 days out- and received an email today from HAL offering us an upgrade from our guarantee inside cabin to a Verandah for $199 per person, an oceanview for $99 per person or an obstructed view for $59 per person. Since the prices are about the same as they were when we booked our guarantee for $499 per person, I think we will pass. We would rather use the $$$ on our trip or for an excursion I guess! On another note, I checked open cabins (inside) on January 28th and there were 32 still available on all different decks, AFt, Mid Ship and Forward.........today there are 23 and some decks have sold out. I guess travelers are snapping up the "close to sail date" sales!

We just got our second upsell offer for $179 more per person to a verandah from an inside. We love insides, so no dice. You get to decide if it is worth it.

After reading several posts of passengers who paid for a balcony and then were next to smoker's or sandwiched between smoker's, there is no way I would spend the money for one! It would be just out luck that is what would happen to us, and I would have wasted the $$$ because we couldn't use it!

And yes, I considered it an upsell, but the email said "upgrade" oh well.........

We are 24 days out- and received an email today from HAL offering us an upgrade from our guarantee inside cabin to a Verandah for $199 per person, an oceanview for $99 per person or an obstructed view for $59 per person. Since the prices are about the same as they were when we booked our guarantee for $499 per person, I think we will pass. We would rather use the $$$ on our trip or for an excursion I guess! On another note, I checked open cabins (inside) on January 28th and there were 32 still available on all different decks, AFt, Mid Ship and Forward.........today there are 23 and some decks have sold out. I guess travelers are snapping up the "close to sail date" sales!

Did you book directly with HAL, through a HAL PCC or through a travel agent?

Our last cruise was through a PCC (first time we did this) and it was the first time we saw an upsell offer. Then we got a second offer, hardly better than original pricing, so we didn't take them, not worth it to us. Our LP partial obstructed served us just fine.

Thanks, m--

Did you book directly with HAL, through a HAL PCC or through a travel agent?

Our last cruise was through a PCC (first time we did this) and it was the first time we saw an upsell offer. Then we got a second offer, hardly better than original pricing, so we didn't take them, not worth it to us. Our LP partial obstructed served us just fine.

Thanks, m--

I booked directly on the HAL sight- didn't use their PCC, he didn't listen to what I wanted, tried to sell something different. I watched the prices and when I felt it had gone as low as it would - the 2nd week of January for March 15th sail- I booked it at $499 per person. It has now gone back to $549 pp or more for inside guarantee. Makes no sense to me! the cruise before us and after us has dipped lower in price. The waiting and checking are part of the fun of planning. DH just doesn't understand my addiction to Cruise Critic and planning!

Which cruise are you on? These must be 7 night cruises.

We are on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean on the Eurodam March 15th. The way I check for cabins, is I go online to do a "dummy" booking and you can see what cabins are available in each category on each deck...................takes a few minutes, but it is fun!

Some will take that deal ..

The up sell I got was to go from an inside guarantee to a balcony guarantee for $150 each...so ultimately $599 each for a balcony. Less than the $749 they are at now and less than any stateroom we ever had...and those were ALL insides.

Since this trip is more about relaxing on the ship than being active in the ports, I think we will really enjoy having the balcony.

I spent $250 for one day in a cabana at Labadee...for me that makes $300 for a whole week with a balcony a bargain.