First time cruise--RCI, ALLURE??

Slpray

We have booked a first cruise on the Allure of the seas for 2016. It will be a 7 night Eastern carribean. My husband, I, and our 3 kids (will then be 11, almost 9 -both boys and a 6 year old girl.) will be going. We booked a family stateroom that sleeps 6 on deck 11.

I'm getting mixed reviews and wondering if we should downgrade to a smaller ship? My (now) 10 year old son is enamored with sailing on this huge ship, so maybe I should stop overthinking and go with that?

Also, as far as unexpected costs--am I missing anything? there is the cruise cost, pre-paid gratuities, drink packages, airfare, cost for travel to/from airport/ship, excursions/money for island entertainment and extras for souvenirs. Anything that I'm not thinking about?? We can eat "free" on board the whole time if wanted, correct? I know only certain places are "free".

Do we book ahead for shows and dining times?? We have my time dining and I have no clue what that's all about--I need to research that.

We just got back from Disney and I planned that completely, I am just clueless when it comes to cruising!!

Thanks for any thoughts/info!

Stop overthinking...you will have a fabulous time! The only "downside" to sailing the largest ship at sea on your 1st cruise would be that you'll expect ALL ships to be this huge!!!

Yes...you should pre-book as much as you can on this ship, as there are so many choices. On other ships, that is not necessary.

MTD is like a regular restaurant...show up, get seated! Easy! Traditional seating is where you have assigned time and table for dinner. With MTD, you will go to dinner at a time that will allow you to make whatever shows you've booked. You do NOT need reservations nightly...just show up.

Remember, this is a VACATION...too much "planning" makes it a job! You're supposed to relax on vacation...so don't try to fill every second with plans! Go with the flow...have fun, but relax and enjoy the experience!

I highly recommend making reservations for My Time Dining. Without reservations, you run the risk of having to wait for a table, and that can cut into your show times. It's a bit of a hassle to reserve everything, but it makes the on board experience much better.

Show reservations will be open approx 90 days before sailing.

You have a pretty good grasp on costs. Yes, you can eat free all week. The main dining room and Windjammer buffet are free, as is Park Cafe, Sorrentos, Cafe Promenade and the Boardwalk Dog House.

Allure can be a bit overwhleming for a first time cruise, but why not go right for the best? I don't recommend canceling. The entertainment on Allure is the best at sea. Do not miss any of the shows. The Aqua Theater show and ice show are excellent, and the main show in the theater will be Mama Mia. So yes, stop over thinking it. You're going to love this cruise.

We have booked a first cruise on the Allure of the seas for 2016. It will be a 7 night Eastern carribean. My husband, I, and our 3 kids (will then be 11, almost 9 -both boys and a 6 year old girl.) will be going. We booked a family stateroom that sleeps 6 on deck 11.

I'm getting mixed reviews and wondering if we should downgrade to a smaller ship? My (now) 10 year old son is enamored with sailing on this huge ship, so maybe I should stop overthinking and go with that?

Also, as far as unexpected costs--am I missing anything? there is the cruise cost, pre-paid gratuities, drink packages, airfare, cost for travel to/from airport/ship, excursions/money for island entertainment and extras for souvenirs. Anything that I'm not thinking about?? We can eat "free" on board the whole time if wanted, correct? I know only certain places are "free".

Do we book ahead for shows and dining times?? We have my time dining and I have no clue what that's all about--I need to research that.

We just got back from Disney and I planned that completely, I am just clueless when it comes to cruising!!

We've not been on the Allure (booked for May tho), but have been on her sister ship, the Oasis and I highly recommend you do NOT cancel! It's an amazing experience. The only food we paid for was our anniversary dinner at Chops and it was well worth it. But, all the complimentary food, in our opinion was great! There are different eating places on Allure than Oasis, like the hot dog place that was mentioned in another post, which we can't wait to try when we go. We booked all our shows ahead online for our cruise on the Oasis with the exception of the Ice Show, only because we couldn't at the time. But, that was no problem, we went right to Guest Services when we boarded and got the time we wanted, no problem. So, I would also suggest you do that ahead. All the shows are great! We had MTD and loved it. We never booked ahead and just showed up and never had to wait. We also after having a particular waiter, requested him and maybe had to wait a little bit, but no problem. However, having said that, there were just the two of us. It might be more difficult, as was already posted, with more than two people. I think you will have a wonderful time .... enjoy and Happy Sailing! Oh, and although there is so much to do on the ship, (we didn't even do it all) don't forget to relax! :)

Thanks all!! I always get nervous about these things for some reason. I'm starting to get excited, though!!! We just upgraded to a family cabin ocean view from a family interior!

I appreciate all of your responses. I will reread everything and take your advice on board!

The only thing I can think of that you may want to include is travel insurance.

Enjoy your adventure!

Thank you!! I did add travel insurance, I forgot to mention that. It's worth it to me, that's a lot of money to potentially lose!!

I have traveled on both Allure & Oasis with my 2 daughters (6&8 first time) (8&10 2nd time). My daughters absolutely LOVE these ships.

Advice:

1) register for kids club & RCI phones/pager from kids club as soon as you get on board.

2) prebook all shows online before the cruise (typically about 90 days out)

3) fill in with any specialty dinner -book online in advance. Our kids loved the variety in the kids clubs ( kids rotate through activities & rooms), so take a night for a nice dinner alone in 150 Central Park or Chops Grille.

4) Don't forget to pack a pair of long pants& socks so they can ice skate ( must cover ankles)

5) avoid the Windjammer on boarding day. We found it to be the only day you really feel the crowds. Try lunch at Park Cafe (great hot roast beef sandwiches)

6) Enjoy!

I was on the Allure at the end of 2013. I wrote a review with lots of pictures. Here is a link if you want to read it ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1928555

Thanks all!! I always get nervous about these things for some reason. I'm starting to get excited, though!!! We just upgraded to a family cabin ocean view from a family interior!

Good choice, and like all the others said, DO NOT cancel this cruise. Allure is the best of the best. Enjoy your cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

My #1 advice for cruises I didn't see above:

Always arrive at least a day ahead of your cruise. With all the problems you can have with flights (weather, mechanical, labor and cancelled flights), I would be able to be there in my embarkation city and relax the night before. You can have a nice dinner, maybe do a little sightseeing, shop for anything you've left behind. And no stress in waiting in some airport the morning of your cruise with tornado warnings or snowstorms on your end (the plane I took to get back to Columbia where I did grad school during winter break almost had to be diverted because of a snow storm) or hurricane warnings on the Florida end.

Other advice:

1. Don't plan out every moment on board or in port. We have never made ressies for anything on any of our cruises, other than pre-reserving the few shore excusions we took and the one time we were given a complimentary specialty dinner on our last cruise (the head waiter took care of letting us know about that and then booking it for us -- we just don't do specialty restaurants otherwise). But it helped we always go for traditional dining so we don't have to worry about when and where to eat -- we just go at that time.

2. Check out the website for Royal Caribbean, especially the FAQ section. There should be deck plans for your ship as well as listing the various venues to be aware of.

3. Google each port and you'll find a ton of tourism sites. For our last couple of cruises, I had my teen help decide what to do in each port, even though we were repeating the same itinerary as before. Involve your kids in the planning as much as possible.

Thank you, all!!!

I'm so excited!! We did end up deciding to fly in the day prior. I think this will save some money on airfare as it's generally cheaper to fly on a Saturday then a Sunday, so my airfare budget (which planned a Sunday flight) should take care of hotel etc, too. :-)