President Bush waives Jones Act.......????

sail7seas

Did I understand correctly when, in his speech today, the President said he was waiving the 'law' which prevented foreign vessels from going from U.S. port to U.S. port in order that they can carry fuel to where it is needed in this country? If that is so, I applaud him for that........

and secretly hope that it may open the door to doing away with the Passenger Carriage Act and other such provisions that are a part of the Jones Act.

Anyone else hear this? Did I understand correctly?

I read that somewhere too Sail.

I would imagine that he has only waived this law for the duration of this tragedy to allow much needed supplies to get to the survivors and it would only apply to such ships .

But that is JMHO

I think it primarily will apply to foreign vessels carrying fuel from one U.S. port to another. Normally only U.S. ships may do that (go from a U.S.port to another U.S. port without an intervening distant foreign port) but presently U.S. vessels cannot deliver the much needed fuel.

It may also apply to emergency supplies but I don't think so as (so far as I have heard), all supplies are U.S. generated and will be delivered by U.S. Naval Vessels and other U.S. shipping. I have not heard of any foreign help being delivered to the sites of this tragedy. I think all of the help is U.S..... Americans helping Americans.

I have not heard of any foreign help being delivered to the sites of this tragedy. I think all of the help is U.S..... Americans helping Americans.

To Correct This Thought...

Foreign help has been offered from the start of this tragedy but sadly has not been accepted yet by the U.S. government. Until the U.S. government decides what is needed all the rest of the world can do is pray, and we do.

To Correct This Thought...

Foreign help has been offered from the start of this tragedy but sadly has not been accepted yet by the U.S. government. Until the U.S. government decides what is needed all the rest of the world can do is pray, and we do.

I'm very happy to hear this. Truly good news IMO.

It is the first I have heard of any offers of help from other countries. I've had lots of news stations and must have missed any reports of these offers.

I wonder which countries offered what?

I have just returned home after spending 3 days in Vancouver after my Zaandam cruise. The Canadian TV had a lot of coverage. Canadians were told they could donate to their Red Cross and the money would go to the Americian Red Cross. There was a feature of a team with sniffer dogs and their own equipment that had done work in earthquake recovery and were ready to go when they got the word.

Venezuela was one of the first countries, offered food and fuel. Britain and Austrailia are two more I have heard offering help. I also have to beleive their are many individuals in countires around the world who will personnaly open their hearts and wallets to the many victims in this terrible tradgedy. I don't think Americans hav a lock on compassion.

We are going to see a lot of changes from this terrible event for many many years to come. When my son was an intern law clerk for a federal judge they were still working on cases from the Northridge earthquake in So. Cal. many years later. Katrina was many orders of magnitude greater in damage. It will be decades in impact - legal, financial, economic....and a lifetime on the personal level for the direct victims now struggling with events and sights I can't begin to imagine. PTSD writ large.

The unemployment rate for the USA just shot up by at least a million due to businesses that will never resume. Payroll tax revenue by the government just plunged. The economic boost from rebuilding may be many years coming while the toxic waste issues from the flood waters are resolved (if ever). Products that used only certain Gulf ports to come in to the USA (bananas?) will be scarce or very high priced. Countries exporting these products will suffer too. 10 Million less sets of Chinese made Christmas lights and decoration to be purchased for houses that washed away. The transportation systems are already impacted. Grain shipments down the Mississippi are going to be impossible and impact midwest farmers. Grain not sent overseas will impact consumers there as well as balance of trade and then the value of US dollar. High fuel costs will raise prices on everything that is transported by any means. Rough seas ahead for everyone (except maybe lawyers).

It won't be soon and it won't be easy but recovery and adaptation (like suspending Jones Act) will happen and life will go on. A slower global economy (especially in China) will slow oil demands and prices may stabilize in a year or so. Things will improve. If we (collectively) learn from it there could actually be a silver lining or two in the future.

The following is reported on the bloomberg.com site

"Other nations or organizations that have offered assistance are: Austria, Bahamas, Belgium, Canada, China, Colombia, Cuba, Dominica, El Salvador, the European Commission, Greece, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Lithuania, Mexico, NATO, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, the Organization of American States, Paraguay, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, the United Arab Emirates, the U.K., and the UN High Commission on Refugees, according to the State Department"

The following is reported on the bloomberg.com site

"Other nations or organizations that have offered assistance are: Austria, Bahamas, Belgium, Canada, China, Colombia, Cuba, Dominica, El Salvador, the European Commission, Greece, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Lithuania, Mexico, NATO, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, the Organization of American States, Paraguay, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, the United Arab Emirates, the U.K., and the UN High Commission on Refugees, according to the State Department"

............. and Sri Lanka. How wonderful is that?

No country has been turned on in their offer of aid. Not one.

Having worked as a volunteer in Punta Gorda last year after Hurricane Charlie I have nothing but the best to say about FEMA, The Red Cross, The Salvation Army, The National Gaurd and hundreds if not thousands of other organizations who responded. But let me tell you that you just dont push a button and have instant response. The first few days are HELL and everybody does what they can to save lives. But the outpouring of aid which shows up from all angles is overwhelming. Remember that this storm went 80 miles inland after hitting the coast and made roads impassable. We have not seen or have seen very little from the inland areas in the TV coverage. 99 percent of the coverage has been from the hardest areas to get to. I wish the TV would show you some of the Red Cross and Salvation Army field kitchens and what a wonderful job they do to feed people. But that unfortuneatly does not make exciting news. But people shooting at helicopters and ambulance's is exciting news. This is a human tragedy of biblical proportion and you dont plan for something this big. If levee's were built 50 feet high would the people who live there been happy with the sight of them? Or would anybody want to be taxed enough to pay for them. Unless you have been through this or have loaded your car up with bottled water and driven to the site of destruction!!!!! Thankyou Heather and Grumpy1 for your excellant comments.

And thank you, Bruce, for your comments. We've become a people who expect mountains can be moved in an instant. There's so much more to it than that. Thank you for posting your obvious expertise on the subject.

And your points are excellent about what we are not seeing. This hit a massive area in 3, actually 4, states, but we're not seeing the outpouring of help that so many are receiving. Maybe someday they'll show us, but I doubt it. The sad part is we're rubberneckers who create traffic jams for miles to look at an accident on the other side of the road.

So as far as what they're showing us on TV? It's what we as a people have asked for.

I only heard a small part of Secretary of State Rice's comments this afternoon as I had to leave my house but she made it very clear that NO OFFERS OF HELP have been Refused. She said that this is not a quick in and out operation but will be on-going for a very long time. She said they are evaluating where each individual offer can be best put to use. She delineated that a great number of countries have offered help and each offer is greatly appreciated and anyone who said they have been refused is incorrect.

Anyone else hear her speak?

We are only a small country - less than 20 million people - and yet we have offered millions of dollars to your country to try and help with this terrible disaster. I believe we were one of the first countries to offer help.

We cannot comprehend down here, that so many people are dying from lack of water and starvation in the wealthiest country in the world. Where are the supplies and the man power to get them to these poor people. So many are in a Convention Centre and are starving to death.

Jennie

This is a very volatile situation and everyone has an opinion about what "should" or "shouldn't be done" and the best way to handle things... the fact remains that we are all merely "Monday morning quarterbacks" for lack of a better term. I'm not sure any of us are in positions to determine what is "best" for the situation.

I am VERY disheartened to see the devastation and the desperation coming out of New Orleans - but judging an entire group of people based upong the actions of a few - well, it hardly seems fair, imo. I also think it is easy to sit back and say "I'd never do that..." but I think the reality is, that one never knows what steps they 'may' take in desperate situations. We all like to think we'd behave civilly and without angst, but when your child or loved one is dying, I can understand the difficulty in remaining rational.

Blaming and pointing the finger won't get anyone anywhere. I was so relieved to see efforts at evacuation (as well as providing much needed food and water) were greatly increased today - that alone will go along way in diffusing this volatile situation.

Our hearts and prayers go out to those who have suffered and who are still suffering - personally, at this point, I try to keep the focus on the "solution" instead of what the problem "might be" or "might have been" as I am certainly in no position to cast ANY stones - at anyone.

I did read in our local paper that the mayor of New Orleans has remained within the city - but I'm not certain a comparison of this situation to the tragedy of 9-11-01 is really comparing "apples to apples" per se, merely because people were told to evacuate if they could but those that were unable could take shelter in places like the Superdome, etc. As those of you living in a hurricane-prone areas are aware, most of the time, there is no real way to know where the hurricane will hit land - predications are often way off base - so in my mind it would be really hard to fully prepare for something of this magnitude.

As a country, I honestly believe that we have a responsibility to learn from all these tragedies. We can: be prepared, be alert, be concerned, tolerant (like extra airport screenings), be generous with our donations, be conscientious, be a friend and a neighbor, provide help when we are able, appreciate and respect those who put their lives on the line everyday, and most of all - show true compassion for the victims of tragedy, and also for those in less fortunate circumstances than we. :)

Just my two cents.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

As you probably noticed if you have seen this thread before, I have deleted quite a number of posts which I feel are just too political for this forum.

We are all shocked and saddened by the awful events in the South and I do realise that many of us (myself included) are feeling very emotional about this situation at the moment. However, I must ask that everyone please try to avoid political discussions as they are simply not appropriate for this forum.

Your messages of support for those who have been affected by this tragedy are welcome and appreciated, but I hope that everyone will do their best to try to avoid crossing the line into politics.

Also please remember that this board is read by a large and very diverse group of people from all corners of the globe who have a diverse set of views and values which may not be the quite the same of yours. Especially during these highly-charged times, please try to be tolerant of others views'.

I anticipate and appreciate your continued cooperation as we work through this very sad period in our history.

If you have any questions or comments or would like to discuss this further, please contact me privately at hostdoug at cruisecritic dot com. I do apologize to all those whose posts I have deleted, please rest assured that it is nothing personal, just trying to keep things from getting out of hand.

Regards,

Doug

I have just returned home after spending 3 days in Vancouver after my Zaandam cruise. The Canadian TV had a lot of coverage. Canadians were told they could donate to their Red Cross and the money would go to the Americian Red Cross. There was a feature of a team with sniffer dogs and their own equipment that had done work in earthquake recovery and were ready to go when they got the word.

I just phoned my friend in Vancouver and she told me that the Canadian rescue group, which is self supporting, had arrived in Kenner LA just outside of NO. They were held back from doing any work due to local problems.

Here is the story in the Vancouver newspaper.

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=6cb4f526-dcef-437a-9d27-0f160b480b58

Jennie, absolutely! Australia has always been one of our very closest friends. Watching the news this morning I am overwhelmed by all the amazing offers of help from so many countries.

This is a sad time in our history. But it is from adversity such as this that we have always gained many lessons. We will all rise from this and be better people and a better nation.

It is that belief that sustains me through all the dark days. It's just so difficult and sad right now, but I truly believe that we will continue to be uplifted by what we see from our fellow citizens and even our world neighbors as time unfolds.

I only heard a small part of Secretary of State Rice's comments this afternoon as I had to leave my house but she made it very clear that NO OFFERS OF HELP have been Refused. She said that this is not a quick in and out operation but will be on-going for a very long time. She said they are evaluating where each individual offer can be best put to use. She delineated that a great number of countries have offered help and each offer is greatly appreciated and anyone who said they have been refused is incorrect.

Anyone else hear her speak?

The big issue was that the State department had not yet said "Yes" to the offers. Not saying "no" is hardly the same thing. She did say that we have not yet accepted the offers.

I truly appreciate the need to marshall supplies and equipment before entering NOLA and Mississippi towns. But many officials were saying that they could not get to the sites where so many people needed help - the roads were impassible etc. Yet, a musician could get there with a TV camera. Political leaders could get to the heart of the destruction in Mississippi. But the aid trucks could not?

Showing pictures of Aid Stations at the Super Dome certainly would have been news and I think it would have been reported. BUT, it didn't happen that way . . . CNN and MSNBC (and even Fox) can't create those pictures we all wanted to see. At least it appears that aid is, finally, on its way.

Archived