Passport requirements

Cruiser from Ohio

we Just the Caribbean Princess western cruise, it has a stop at Island of Roatan, do we need a passport but will a birth certificate be ok, I know it is recommended

Thanks

Did you read the requirements listed in your booking?

It gives the details right there.

Its best to get it from Princess and not CC. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

No, you don't need a passport or birth certificate to go to Roatan, but you will need a passport to get back to the USA. As to if you can board the ship with just a birth certificate - hummmmm... well,,,,,, maybe, but, you should really have a passport - as you never know what night happen on-board and at ports, so you might find yourself 'somewhere' re-entering the US via an airplane or ??? after missing the ship. Happens. So --- Passport = Good, and No Passport = Risk.

No, you don't need a passport or birth certificate to go to Roatan, but you will need a passport to get back to the USA. As to if you can board the ship with just a birth certificate - hummmmm... well,,,,,, maybe, but, you should really have a passport - as you never know what night happen on-board and at ports, so you might find yourself 'somewhere' re-entering the US via an airplane or ??? after missing the ship. Happens. So --- Passport = Good, and No Passport = Risk.

Well, I'm sure Pythian really meant to say "you will need a passport to get back to the USA if you go back by air or some means other than the ship."

Regardless, if you have an issue and have to journey back some other way, even without a passport, you will eventually get back home. It is just much more complicated and may take a lot longer.

It is still best to have a passport, you have to weigh the risks, however most people without passports have no troubles at all.

The island of Roatan is part of the Honduras. If for any reason you should have to fly home from Roatan and they do have passenger service to the US, you will need a passport. No other documentation will work. The nearest consulate is San Pedro Sula on the mainland where you will need to go to get the needed temporary passport. Honduras has the highest murder rate in the world. If all you have is your b/c and state ID, be sure to be on the ship when it leaves Roatan and don't have any kind of an emergency.

we Just the Caribbean Princess western cruise, it has a stop at Island of Roatan, do we need a passport but will a birth certificate be ok, I know it is recommended

Assuming you are on a cruise that starts and returns to the same USA port and are only going to North American ports you will need the following to board the ship:

Passport

or

Official birth certificate AND government issued photo ID

You will not need to take a passport or birth certificate with you when you go onshore at a port for the day.

As other have pointed out, if some emergency requires you to leave the ship to return home in the middle of the cruise, without a passport you will have difficulty getting back to the USA.

And for a married woman, a passport with drivers license doesn't work.

Years ago I had to show my marriage certificate since my last name had changed with marriage.I have a passport.

Strange comment since a valid passport is all that is ever needed for international travel. Perhaps you mean a b/c and driver's license. In that case if your last name does not match (marriage, adoption etc) you have to have valid proof the two documents are yours.

Be sure that the name you gave the ship when you made your reservation and boarded the ship matches exactly your passport or b/c and picture ID.