"Last minute" Alaska on Princess

jbobst

I've tried to monitor the "last minute" deals that Princess (and Holland and NCL) have had the past couple of years, but I forgot to check when the fares are usually offered. I know the Alaska cruising season starts in early May, but we are hoping for a good last minute deal in early June (assuming there are any this year). For those that have booked these deals in previous years, how early do you typically see the low fares come out? I am hoping to have at least 2 weeks (or more) notice, but I realize last minute could really mean last minute!

With Princess (and HAL) having so many ships in Alaska, the past few years have had some very good deals. Hoping to grab one of those this year, but maybe with the economy being better, the ships might be filled to capacity.

If there aren't any last minute deals, we'll probably just not go this year. We got our main cruise planned for November, but if there are good deals to be had like the last couple of years, we thought we take advantage of an Alaskan cruise.

By the way, when you say you see the ships sold out typically, do you mean the sailings scheduled for this coming season or just in the past? The last couple of years I've seen plenty of offers for $249-$299 for a 7 day cruise. I've heard reports on Cruise critic of people getting them even cheaper than that. I have no doubt that by the time the ship sails, they are pretty full, but the past couple of years have had some great offers available.

If there aren't any last minute deals, we'll probably just not go this year. We got our main cruise planned for November, but if there are good deals to be had like the last couple of years, we thought we take advantage of an Alaskan cruise.

By the way, when you say you see the ships sold out typically, do you mean the sailings scheduled for this coming season or just in the past? The last couple of years I've seen plenty of offers for $249-$299 for a 7 day cruise. I've heard reports on Cruise critic of people getting them even cheaper than that. I have no doubt that by the time the ship sails, they are pretty full, but the past couple of years have had some great offers available.

With so many cruise ships and cruise lines competing every summer in Alaska, I also have seen plenty greatly reduced rates closer to sailing date. Mostly in May and in September. I only guess it is due to kids being in school.

Edited by iceleven

By the way, when you say you see the ships sold out typically, do you mean the sailings scheduled for this coming season or just in the past? The last couple of years I've seen plenty of offers for $249-$299 for a 7 day cruise.

In the past....

Alaska? You did ask about Alaska. I have not seen deals like that.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Our last cruise to Alaska was in 2012, so things may have changed a lot. For that one, we were on 5-night tour before our week-long cruise. Total price was under $1,350 per person including insurance, taxes, fees, and transfer for an obstructed view cabin. If you can be satisfied with an obstructed view or inside cabin, there are frequently some great last-minute deals especially early in the season before a lot of schools get out and late in the season after schools are back in session.

In the past....

Alaska? You did ask about Alaska. I have not seen deals like that.

Yep, seen deals like that (and heard others on this forum talk about them) the last few season. I didn't really pay much attention to Alaska prior to about 3 years ago. I believe I read where people found last minute deals around $199 in the past (for an interior on a 7 day). I saw NCL offering $249 last year and Princess and HAL offering $299 last year. These are all interior prices of course.

I also have a co-worker who vacations in Seattle every summer and he always see's ad's for around $200-$300 for 7 nighters.

Yep, seen deals like that (and heard others on this forum talk about them) the last few season. I didn't really pay much attention to Alaska prior to about 3 years ago. I believe I read where people found last minute deals around $199 in the past (for an interior on a 7 day). I saw NCL offering $249 last year and Princess and HAL offering $299 last year. These are all interior prices of course.

I also have a co-worker who vacations in Seattle every summer and he always see's ad's for around $200-$300 for 7 nighters.

I guess I don't watch often enough. :eek: Thank goodness, the amount I do watch is enough!

In June you are already in the peak season. That means it will be less likely to get a good last minute fare.

The other problem is that unless you live in one of the port cities, airfare, bought at the last minute, can be a killer-if there are any seats available as they fill up for peak tourist season.

In June you are already in the peak season. That means it will be less likely to get a good last minute fare.

The other problem is that unless you live in one of the port cities, airfare, bought at the last minute, can be a killer-if there are any seats available as they fill up for peak tourist season.

This... except the cruise part. Last summer, 2014, I had no intention to cruise to Alaska but about 8 days prior to our cruise I received an email from Princess with a rate to good to pass up for a Northbound 7 night cruise... Vancouver to Anchorage. We jumped on it and the air round trips was more than the cruise itself.. Over all though it was still am amazing price.. I think I paid about 500.00 pp for the room and the air from LAX was about 575.00 per person.

Just checked my records.. booked on June 10th, cruise left on June 18th

Edited by DisneyHotMama

• 2 weeks later...

The Ruby is already showing sold out for interior on several cruises this May and June, and the ones that aren't sold out are quite expensive - more than I paid two years ago for a ten night from SF. I know the Ruby will be the newest ship in Alaska for Princess, but with no indoor pool and the inferior itinerary from Seattle (Tracy Arm Fjord instead of Glacier Bay) I was hoping for a good deal. :(