Where in Amsterdam do we dock?

Johnno3c

Going on Ventura for a four day cruise on May 20th this year and we call into Amsterdam and stay overnight.

Just wondering if our berth will be at the cruise terminal that I have spotted on Google Earth. I am trying to get my bearings before I go so that I can plan my route into town to see the canals and shops etc.

I have found a website for busses/trams so can get an idea of which one to catch. The site is 9292.nl

Thanks for any advice.

The Amsterdam cruise terminal is just east of the main central railway station. It's shown on Google maps as "Passenger Terminal Amsterdam". It's a 10-15 min walk to the station.

Ijmuiden is about 10 miles from Amsterdam.

Brian

Thanks for that guys, I had found the terminal that is right in the town but will have another look for the one in IJmuiden and get bus/tram details. I hope it is the more central location because I would probably be able to push myself there rather than public transport, but I have seen that access is quite good for wheelchair users. Hey ho!

According to the P&O website, it's definitely Amsterdam, not Ijmuiden.

However, be aware that if there are strong winds about, then the ship may not be given permission to enter the canal to get to Amsterdam. It's quite a pleasant journey down the canal.

Brian

OK, I looked up the Cruise ship schedules for Amsterdam and Ventura docks at PTA which is the Port of Amsterdam.

go here for the schedules for the port. Click on the month you require and it either says PTA (Port of Amsterdam) or FCT 0 Felison Cruise terminal (Ijmuiden)

http://www.amsterdamcruise.nl/cruise-calendar

Edited by jeanlyon

I can't quite believe that Ventura can get through the lock to go down the North Sea Canal. I have done it on Black Watch, but it was quite tight and she's tiny?

According to Wikipedia, the North lock opened in 1929, is 1312ft long and 164ft wide. At the time it was opened it was the largest lock in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_Canal

Ventura is 951ft long and 118.1ft wide so an easy fit.

There are three other smaller locks

Brian

I can't quite believe that Ventura can get through the lock to go down the North Sea Canal. I have done it on Black Watch, but it was quite tight and she's tiny?

It was no problem 5 years ago when we were on the Crown Princess which is the same design and size as Ventura and Azura.

You can get a tram from outside the cruise terminal to the train station which is the hub for all the tram lines. Pays to buy a daily ticket. Also if you plan to visit Anne Frank house you can buy tickets online - either that or go early as the queues can be long.

Edited by bee-ess

• 5 months later...