Packing

BandM

Started putting stuff together for our upcoming cruise, once again we have filled our large suitcases and need to take half of everything out. I've seen people bring only a smallish carry on. Anyone else a chronic overpacker?!?!

Always take too many clothes. We find that we wear bathing suits alot. So the outfits only get worn for a few hours in the evening. We tend to wear the same thing more than once. Also Shoes can be very heavy. I have acquired specifically light shoes to take. My husband on the other hand has not quite learned that concept so sometimes we have to rearrange items from a suitcase that is too heavy to one that weighs less. Another thing we always do is have a duffle packed and if we make purchases we can carry them on the plane on our own. My husband will carry that because I always have my own carry on coming and going.

Chronic over packer here!!! I always have been. I am one of those that think, what if I need this??? I could never just do carry on. I applaud people who can :D I agree with Dortrust about the duffle bag. We do this with a Vera Bradley bag. We can roll it up and stick it in our suitcase and once we need to, put souvenirs, etc in it. I try all the packing methods. Bags, rolling, sticking things inside each other and I still am always over 50 or right at :cool:

Edited by MandyMommyof2

Alot has to do with weather at destination. Flip flop or damp and cold weather shoes?

I have to constantly remind myself that I can launder and I do not need to pack for every day of the trip. The shoes can be heavy items too but I wear the heaviest ones on the journey to the ship and double duty everything else. Now if i could just keep my cosmetics...lotions...perfumes...face creams....etc to a minimum!!!!! PACKING....a difficult task:confused:

I've been struggling with what to bring for our Med cruise in May. I don't normally overpack because we always have gone to to the warm and sunny Caribbean. But I think there will be a wider temperature spectrum traveling from Barcelona to Rome. At least I know I won't be bringing formal clothes - trying freestyle dining for the first time!

Going on the Breakaway out of NYC in March so I have to bring winter clothes and summer clothes! (and of course even more pairs of sandals and boots!) At least we don't have to fly to the ship, so I can keep my cosmetics in my carry on. And I agree about extra bathing suits. Nothing worse than putting on a damp bathing suit!

I bring one very small carry on.

Bathing suit

2 pairs of yoga pants

One pair of dress slacks

Two old navy dresses that can double as bathing suit cover ups

One pair of sandals that are dressy enough to wear with the dresses

Running shoes to work out only sometimes ;-)

5 t-shirts/and or light cotton blouses - total is 5

3 pair of shorts

Socks and undies for the week

Extra hoodie if I can fit it

Jewelry to go with the dresses

Toiletries/meds (bonine, imodium, prescription meds, advil)/sunscreen

If you roll your clothes, you can fit more.

I WEAR many layers to the (usually) winter port - t-shirt with sweatshirt over that with hoodie over that and jeans and my running shoes.

Hubby and I do the laundry package mid-week and are able to fit everything we both brought in one bag (again, roll). With the four of us at Christmas, we were able to fit everything that we had worn / was dirty for the four of us.

All that being said, you're on vacation and I agree - if you wanna bring it, it's up to you... I just don't wanna bring it, lol.

I like to have plenty of stuff.....so sure, I overpack and I'm proud of it! As long as I can handle my bags, it's no ones business!

If someone likes to wear the same 3 pair of pants for a week...have at it!

Totally agree!!!:)

I tend to overpack; when I go on a cruise, I change clothes like around 2 times a day due to either napping, swimming, and/or excursion and then dining out in the evening / watching a show. Luckily for me, I'm female so I can wear the 14 dresses that's make up my cruise wardrobe which can be rolled up in a large packing cube, lol. Along with 3 pairs of shoes, 3 bathing suits, 3 heavy sweaters and enough undies to last me 3 weeks in a 26 inch spinner. I also have a backpack for my toiletries due to my hair needing to be greased up and conditioned especially after swimming in the pool / beach plus I have dry skin.

Thank goodness, NCL sails from NYC year around so all I have to do is ride the subway over to the port - no luggage fees and limits to worry about. Someday, I will like to travel to Miami for the cruises there but those airlines along their fees and restrictions, along greyhound and amtrak with the long 2 day rides are making me reconsider it......

Started putting stuff together for our upcoming cruise, once again we have filled our large suitcases and need to take half of everything out. I've seen people bring only a smallish carry on. Anyone else a chronic overpacker?!?!

Nope, not anymore. As soon as I book a cruise I print out my basic packing list and start tweaking it for that particular destination. I mix n match tops/ bottoms, wearing each top or bottom more than once.

I use the ship's laundry specials, so outfits can be worn several times.

When we did our 33 day b2b2b cruise from cold of Iceland, across Atlantic, to heat of Caribbean, we had only one suitcase each and one carryon backpack.

That was quite a difference from when we used to pack that much for a 4-day cruise.

So glad I only brought a carry on and backpack! Flight cancelled, luggage to remain on plane til someone bitched, schlep to hotel, schlep back, check in, check out, cabs from comp hotel couldn't accommodate loads of bags....definitely easier to not check.

• 3 weeks later...

Nope, not anymore. As soon as I book a cruise I print out my basic packing list and start tweaking it for that particular destination. I mix n match tops/ bottoms, wearing each top or bottom more than once.

I use the ship's laundry specials, so outfits can be worn several times.

When we did our 33 day b2b2b cruise from cold of Iceland, across Atlantic, to heat of Caribbean, we had only one suitcase each and one carryon backpack.

That was quite a difference from when we used to pack that much for a 4-day cruise.

NM Lady (Mary Kay) & my Joe

We are going on a 18 day cruise and have never sailed more than 7 days. We normally have no worries because we just drive to the port but this cruise we are going on, we are flying to the port. If you can help with a packing list that would be great!

I've been struggling with what to bring for our Med cruise in May. I don't normally overpack because we always have gone to to the warm and sunny Caribbean. But I think there will be a wider temperature spectrum traveling from Barcelona to Rome. At least I know I won't be bringing formal clothes - trying freestyle dining for the first time!

Just got back from 21 day Eastern and Western Med cruise and I used only a small carry on. Yes I did!!! It was fantastic. Especially since we were traveling before and after on trains. It was so easy to keep track of and take places. I am even thinking on future travel to do the exact same thing. No waiting for luggage, no lost or ruined bags. Really, it is the way to go.

I just packed for one week and I did laundry in my room every night so it would have time to dry. I took only solid colors, all matching black. I took several light sweaters to make the same thing look different. And I took lots of jewelry to change the look.

Everyone thought I was crazy, but with enough mixing and matching, it was great. Only two pairs of shoes, walking shoes and more fancy slip on type.

The only funny thing is that it was colder (February) and in every picture we took, I have on the same jacket, so it looks like I wore the same thing every single day, haha.

Try it!! ; Happy sailing!

I'm the worst. On my November 11 day cruise, I took two suitcases - one weighed 66 pounds and the other 33 pounds. My motto is, better to bring it, then not have it if you want it; I also don't like wearing the same thing more than once.

This has been the most fun thread today. Really is getting me in the mood to pull out the luggage and start assessing what to take. No matter how much I plan, I'm bound to bring back one or two outfits that don't get worn. lol

I like choices! As long as I don't have to pay for bags, I take as many as I can. We are leaving in 5 weeks for Adventure out of San Juan. We are on SW so will have 4 checked and 2 carryons!

I take at least 8-10 pairs of sandals/flipflops/tennis shoes, at least 10-15 swim suits and coverups, formal attire, different clothes for every night. Cooler for the cabin, back pack for the beach, etc etc.

I hate having to pack and look at my stuff and not have anything to wear. Who knows what my mood will be??? As long as I can check it, I take the max I am allowed.

I tend to overpack; when I go on a cruise, I change clothes like around 2 times a day due to either napping, swimming, and/or excursion and then dining out in the evening / watching a show. Luckily for me, I'm female so I can wear the 14 dresses that's make up my cruise wardrobe which can be rolled up in a large packing cube, lol. Along with 3 pairs of shoes, 3 bathing suits, 3 heavy sweaters and enough undies to last me 3 weeks in a 26 inch spinner. I also have a backpack for my toiletries due to my hair needing to be greased up and conditioned especially after swimming in the pool / beach plus I have dry skin.

Thank goodness, NCL sails from NYC year around so all I have to do is ride the subway over to the port - no luggage fees and limits to worry about. Someday, I will like to travel to Miami for the cruises there but those airlines along their fees and restrictions, along greyhound and amtrak with the long 2 day rides are making me reconsider it......

No bag fees on Southwest for two checked bags. Shuttle from airport to port, easy 'easy.

I like choices! As long as I don't have to pay for bags, I take as many as I can. We are leaving in 5 weeks for Adventure out of San Juan. We are on SW so will have 4 checked and 2 carryons!

I take at least 8-10 pairs of sandals/flipflops/tennis shoes, at least 10-15 swim suits and coverups, formal attire, different clothes for every night. Cooler for the cabin, back pack for the beach, etc etc.

I hate having to pack and look at my stuff and not have anything to wear. Who knows what my mood will be??? As long as I can check it, I take the max I am allowed.

I agree, and usually do the same. This was the first time. Since we were doing a Europe tour before and after the cruise, I could not imagine lugging all the suitcases around, up and down train stairs, through the old sidewalks, etc. And boy, am I glad I did decide against taking more than a carry on each. On my several cruises, I take everything but the kitchen sink, but with traveling around on all different kinds of transportation, it was so great.

Plus, sometimes there is no room on the trains for luggage.

Otherwise, I pack away, especially if I am arriving by car to the port.