I know, I know...

Others that have had success in the past flying the day of a sailing is irrelevant.

The bottom line is; it is a risk.

A lot of planning & money go into a cruise.

The risk is a personal decision & many factors have to be weighed in.

Very happy to hear you have insurance.

Flying in the day of a sailing will leave you with a 50% chance of having to use it.

Good luck, I hope everything works out on the day of your cruise!

:)

This is not even close to accurate. Very few people who fly in the day of their cruise have any problem at all. If your thoughts were true then ships would have lots of vacant cabins, and that doesn't happen.

We have always flow in the day before, but until now we have also only cruised December through March, where winter storms anywhere in the country can wreak havoc on the whole system. We have only had a flight cancelled once and fortunately that was post cruise.

We booked Alaska out of Vancouver or August 2015. After booking (but fortunately before we booked flights) we got a call saying our niece was getting married the night before we sail. So we booked our flights for 8 am non-stop from Vancouver to Toronto and we are supposed to arrive in Vancouver at 10 am. Domestic flight - so no Customs to deal with. August -- so weather delays are at a minimum. We know we are taking our chances but re thinking we should still be in great shape to make the 4:30 pm sailing.

I am definitely considering getting the Celebrity transfer even though my daughter will be flying with us and have a car parked at the airport and could drive us to the port.

Fingers crossed.

Just so you know, afternoon storms in the southeast are as bad as winter storms in the north, they can wreck havoc with the air traffic system especially anything that goes through ATL or CLT or into any Florida airport.

I really don't understand why folks think that buying cruiseline air, or cruiseline transfers, or especially cruiseline "insurance" will result in them making their ship's departure. None of those have any type of guarantee attached, and in fact, often limit your options and recourse.

With work schedules we have always flown on sail day - and all were with layovers. Having said that we recognize it is a chance and we do travel with two 22" roll aboard so we have L&L our belongings with us. Also most of our cruises have not been in winter months when travel is less predictable.

I have had interrupted travel each of the past three weeks so I am banking in great travel karma when we fly to San Juan in June.

The OP obviously know the risks. But sometimes when you are dealt a lousy hand you still have to play :). Taking an early morning flight out of the New York area gives you good odds. However, beware about insurance policies (even those sold by the cruise lines) because many of them have a provision requiring a scheduled airline flight to be scheduled to land in the embarkation city X number of hours (6 is pretty common) before embarkation. If your flight it scheduled to arrive after that specified period you generally will not be covered for missing the ship.

Hank

However, beware about insurance policies (even those sold by the cruise lines)

Especially those sold by the cruise line. Many, if not most, are "self-insurance" underwritten by the cruise line itself, with huge gaps in coverage compared to non-cruiseline policies.

Do the homework....compare the fine print on coverages and exclusions. Don't necessarily assume that if it is from the cruiseline, it has to be the best way to go. Because that's often the worst.

Just so you know, afternoon storms in the southeast are as bad as winter storms in the north, they can wreck havoc with the air traffic system especially anything that goes through ATL or CLT or into any Florida airport.

Thanks for the heads up, but I did mention we are flying non-stop from Toronto to Vancouver so I am not concerned about what happens in ATL CLT or any Florida airport.

Thanks for the heads up, but I did mention we are flying non-stop from Toronto to Vancouver so I am not concerned about what happens in ATL CLT or any Florida airport.
You should be.

You are making the assumption that an aircraft in Toronto hasn't been in an area where there may be weather problems. Do you think that aircraft has only been flying back and forth between YYZ and YVR? Or YYZ and YOW or YUL? Nope, they fly all over the airline's system. It is entirely possible that your aircraft was in Dallas or Atlanta or wherever BEFORE it flew to YYZ for your particular flight.

But that's OK...your "non-stop" will protect you. ;)

You should be.

You are making the assumption that an aircraft in Toronto hasn't been in an area where there may be weather problems. Do you think that aircraft has only been flying back and forth between YYZ and YVR? Or YYZ and YOW or YUL? Nope, they fly all over the airline's system. It is entirely possible that your aircraft was in Dallas or Atlanta or wherever BEFORE it flew to YYZ for your particular flight.

But that's OK...your "non-stop" will protect you. ;)

This is getting silly, after reading exactly what the OP is doing, it is very low risk. Of course we can throw in the possibility of contaminated fuel two days before the flight or the pilots going on strike or this or that. There is always something we can say to defend our opinion (pride?). But the reality is that it is low risk. And the OP can't change his situation even if he wanted to appease your long shot analogies.

Shesh, get on with your life and go get absorbed in another thread.

Burt

Shesh, get on with your life and go get absorbed in another thread.
Thank you ever so kindly for your generous suggestion. I now realize that it was my error to try to bring a small bit of reality to this self-contented, blissful reaffirmation of the wisdom of prior decisions.

Far be it for someone with several million miles of actual air travel to opine in a vacation-oriented discussion group.

But now I know.

Thank you ever so kindly for your generous suggestion. I now realize that it was my error to try to bring a small bit of reality to this self-contented, blissful reaffirmation of the wisdom of prior decisions.

Far be it for someone with several million miles of actual air travel to opine in a vacation-oriented discussion group.

But now I know.

Your error was bringing unrealistic extremes into this logical discussion. If you have ever flown non-stop from YYZ to YVR you would know that these are the large planes that ONLY do cross-country hauls. The plane going out at 8:00 am from YYZ will, in actual fact, be the same one that came in to YYZ as the red-eye flight from YVR at 7:00 am.

I wish you would stop the scare mongering for people who may not be so familiar with air travel and/or cruising! And yes I am very familiar with travel to/from Vancouver to/from either Toronto or Detroit since I and my daughter do it SEVERAL times a year - in all seasons.

Edited by bbeltmom

Enjoy your cruise. BTW lots to do in Vancouver in the hours before your departure. There's a couple of good wines stores downtown if your taking some on-board with you. Lots of B.C. wines you can't get in Ontario.:D

Edited by DirtyDawg