Port of Tampa fog this morning....

manders175

Looking online tonight and 334 hotels in the Tampa area are sold out. Ones that are available nearby the port are pretty sketchy based on reviews. The last minute influx of passengers needing lodging is beyond what this area can accommodate. Sorry to the folks from out of town who are caught up in this mess.

Edited by coaster

So what's the crew do for the rest of the week? Clean, little rest/vacation....just imagine the money they are out as well since they won't be getting tips for the cancelled cruise....

You used to be able to go up to the pier and book a cruise day of departure. Times have changed and I don't know the minimum timeframe now to book a cruise. Might be possible to get a short cruise in before Saturday so the crew can at least get some tips under their belt? Goodwill gesture at least.

Edited by coaster

I called Royal and have been watching their TA site to see if there would be a short 3 night cruise, but there is nothing. We would have driven up to be on that cruise - assuming the price was cheap.

Cruises can be booked the day of the cruise and the manifest doesn't have to be turned in until 60 minutes prior to sailing.

I guess the crew will do some cleaning and light maintenance and hopefully have some shore time.

My last update. We are off the ship and back home at our new place in Tampa.

To all who were displaced on the cancelled cruise I am truly sorry.

To all who kept me company while posting and keeping the dialog going awesome to talk with you.

To RCI BotS crew thank you for taking great care of us and making us feel like welcomed guest who hadn't extended their stay.

To the Captains here thanks for the nautical knowledge.

I am flying out in the AM back to my day job as a global technology executive, so probably won't be very active at CC here, but won't be far away on my next and hopefully less unplanned excitement cruise.

Lastly to the college football fans who shared banter love it all around. Love my Buckeyes and it was a true blast raising over $2M for cancer research and celebrating our 8th National ChampionShip.

Go Bucks. O-H

T2B2 aka Dave signing off from Tampa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by T2B2

I called Royal and have been watching their TA site to see if there would be a short 3 night cruise, but there is nothing. We would have driven up to be on that cruise - assuming the price was cheap.

Cruises can be booked the day of the cruise and the manifest doesn't have to be turned in until 60 minutes prior to sailing.

I guess the crew will do some cleaning and light maintenance and hopefully have some shore time.

After using the ship as a hotel tonight we were told the crew is getting some downtime before the next scheduled cruise. They need it.

To all who kept me company while posting and keeping the dialog going awesome to talk with you.

To RCI BotS crew thank you for taking great care of us and making us feel like welcomed guest who hadn't extended their stay.

I am flying out in the AM back to my day job as a global technology executive, so probably won't be very active at CC here, but won't be far away on my next and hopefully less unplanned excitement cruise.

Lastly to the college football fans who shared banter love it all around. Love my Buckeyes and it was a true blast raising over $2M for cancer research and celebrating our 8th National ChampionShip.

Go Bucks. O-H

Thanks T2B2 for keeping us updated on your whereabouts and happenings on the ship. We really appreciate it and so glad you are now home.

I-O!!

Wow, I was surprised to hear they cancelled the cruise. I figured they would just do a shortened cruise to Key West or, alternately, a cruise to nowhere.

I feel really bad for the passengers who had their cruise cancelled, I'd be pretty disappointed.

We're on the next sailing scheduled for Saturday so it'll be interesting to talk to the crew. Hopefully they got a chance to relax, are well rested, and have lots of energy.

I guess this means our rooms will be ready as soon as we board? :D

Thinking more about this. A 3 night cruise is overwhelming to make bookings for at the last-minute with a departure the next day. Maybe a 2 night departing Thursday afternoon so at least there are tips to help the crew onboard who depend on them. Unrealistic or not? Crew should not suffer because of a cancelled cruise that did not happen because of an event they could not control.

Edited by coaster

Coaster, it's not going to happen. It will be nice for the crew to get a couple of days off. This way the ship will be in really tip top shape if they will be able to take their time in their duties. As some posters said, they may be able to go directly to their rooms on Saturday instead of waiting for the customary 1pm.

Yes, it would make those passengers who their cruise cancelled very upset if it went on a short cruise.

Thinking more about this. A 3 night cruise is overwhelming to make bookings for at the last-minute with a departure the next day. Maybe a 2 night departing Thursday afternoon so at least there are tips to help the crew onboard who depend on them. Unrealistic or not? Crew should not suffer because of a cancelled cruise that was not a result of anything they did wrong.

I don't know if it applies here...but Carnival (John Heald) has mentioned that there is a fund that will supplement crew salary in the case of unexpected occurrences like this one. It is not something I particularly worry about, their room & board is still covered and they do take 6 week vacations (after all) :) Yes, your thought is unrealistic.

Edited by Coralc

Thanks T2B2 for keeping us updated on your whereabouts and happenings on the ship. We really appreciate it and so glad you are now home.

I-O!!

T2B2 - Thanks for the updates throughout the ordeal. I know being on the ship is way different from just reading the updates, but this die-hard Bama fan was cheering all the way! Glad you're home sweet home! But, before I leave, just gotta say......Congrats again on your national championship and the money raised on this cruise. Classy! (oh, and can't leave before saying one more time....Roll Tide!)

No need to be snarky......this thread had been a God send to those of us waiting for word on our cruise. And they have been very good to keep us informed.

Please be kind to those who need answers and don't have the time to research.

Actually I made a general comment and he got snarky with me about not reading 20 pages, I just replied in kind.

Go Bucks. O-H

Good Morning.

Glad all worked out in the end. Couple of days extra days on a cruise ship doesn't seem that bad to me.

Royal did use there head by allowing back on board for the night, probably saved them a lot of money in compensation for hotel bills.

With that said, I offer this hopefully useful wisdom to the people who traveled here expecting to vacation this week - you still can. After all, Florida might be one of the best spots in the country to plan an impromptu vacation.

Terrific point.

Wow, I was surprised to hear they cancelled the cruise. I figured they would just do a shortened cruise to Key West or, alternately, a cruise to nowhere.

Their alert on the website said that because the weather was forecast to continue, the decision was made. If they couldn't get out, what would be the point of keeping the cruisers in the area?

Thinking more about this. A 3 night cruise is overwhelming to make bookings for at the last-minute with a departure the next day. Maybe a 2 night departing Thursday afternoon so at least there are tips to help the crew onboard who depend on them. Unrealistic or not? Crew should not suffer because of a cancelled cruise that did not happen because of an event they could not control.

Looks like they took the weather forecast's advice. It's foggy again