Poll: Drink Package discounts for D/D+/PC

Merion_Mom

You are D/D+/PC. You will buy the ultimate pkg for the whole cruise if:  

225 members have voted

1. 1. You are D/D+/PC. You will buy the ultimate pkg for the whole cruise if:

• I will buy it if I get a 5% discount.
    • I will buy it if I get a 10% discount.
    • I will buy it if I get a 15% discount.
    • I wouldn't buy a package anyway, so this means nothing to me.
    • I wouldn't buy a package unless the discount went even higher.
    • I wouldn't buy a package unless I had the option of buying for less than the whole voyage.
    • Are you kidding me? Another poll?????
    • I am not D, D+ or PC, so I have no voting rights. But I will leave a comment.

For what it's worth - we just sailed on Quantum for 11 nights. We looked at the beverage packages but felt we couldn't justify the costs.

So we decided go drink whatever we wanted each day and then at the end of the cruise see how much we spent for future reference.

We are Emerald so no free drinks, except the BOGO deal and the 10% off deal.

We are both wine drinkers, red only, and DW likes specialty coffees occasionally. We typically order a bottle with dinner and it lasts 2 nights.

We also have a glass at lunch and one or two either before or after dinner depending on the timing, but not every night. We tried several of the available Reds at the various bars and actually discovered that the one we preferred was usually listed for $8 a glass. At dinner the bottles varied, favorite being the Kendall Jackson Cab.

Our total for drinks on average was $20pp/pd. Not even close to the Select package ($35pp/pd?), which would have capped our wines at $8 a glass.

It would take a 50% discount for these packages to make sense for us.

I would hate to be in situation where I felt I had to have two or three more glasses of wine a day just because I had a package. That seems like the reverse of peace of mind, at least for us.

Like I said, for what it's worth. It just seems like you have to do a lot of drinking to make these packages work, and that's every day.

I would buy the package if it offered a 25% to D and above, I don't like the CL on the Voyager and Freedom class and you tend to find the DL over crowded, I do enjoy the freedom of the 3 FOC drinks but Coors Lite and Grey Goose are not on the D, D+, P FOC list but most bars give you them anyway.

Of course the only real outcome of discounting the package 75-80% (sorry, but this isn't even a realistic expectation) is to raise the drink package for the other people paying full price. I realize that the D+'s seem to have a sense of entitlement about getting free this and that, but guess what? Bottom line is that SOMEONE is paying for your free stuff. RCI is not YOUR own personal cruise line--they are a business and in business to turn a profit. Everything that RCI gives away as a freebie to the "high rollers" and persons of self-proclaimed importance, is being paid for by someone else down the line. RCI would be better served to keep the first time cruisers and semi-regulars happy rather than the high ranking loyalty members, who on nearly every thread on CC are looking for a freebie, giveaway, or perk of some sort.

A2Mich, insulting on so many levels.

ONE poster made the giant leap to 75-80% which was quickly discounted by others. Almost every drink has a markup of at least 500%. A Well vodka and tonic costs RCI less than $1.00. If you think that RCI doesn't make at least a 500% markup on drinks you had better do some more research. Even if a customer drinks $46/day RCI will still clear $35. I'm sure the RCI beancounters have set the price so that they would actually lose money on only 1% of cruisers.

Other cruisers do not pay for any loyalty discounts, the shareholders do.

Of course the only real outcome of discounting the package 75-80% (sorry, but this isn't even a realistic expectation) is to raise the drink package for the other people paying full price. I realize that the D+'s seem to have a sense of entitlement about getting free this and that, but guess what? Bottom line is that SOMEONE is paying for your free stuff. RCI is not YOUR own personal cruise line--they are a business and in business to turn a profit. Everything that RCI gives away as a freebie to the "high rollers" and persons of self-proclaimed importance, is being paid for by someone else down the line. RCI would be better served to keep the first time cruisers and semi-regulars happy rather than the high ranking loyalty members, who on nearly every thread on CC are looking for a freebie, giveaway, or perk of some sort.

You seem awfully bitter about the loyalty perks. Any particular reason?

You seem awfully bitter about the loyalty perks. Any particular reason?

No, not at all. I just don't see the point of a few free drinks and a special lounge - big deal. My whole point was that for the people wanting a package discounted by a huge amount, the costs of which WOULD be passed on to other people. I can see the priority embarkation, etc, but the whining on many threads about reduced or no free drinks is really petty. My only issue would be the basic expectation that other passengers WILL be paying for all of these discounts, if they were to happen. That's not fair to the non-eligible passengers. I know it's been said that the free drinks don't cost other cruisers, but bottom line, is that fares and drink prices are set in such a way to cover ALL costs and still maintain a profit. If RCI has to add more perks to their C&A program to keep the upper echelon members happy, those costs would be passed on to everyone else. To think they would not be is foolish.

A2Mich, insulting on so many levels.

ONE poster made the giant leap to 75-80% which was quickly discounted by others. Almost every drink has a markup of at least 500%. A Well vodka and tonic costs RCI less than $1.00. If you think that RCI doesn't make at least a 500% markup on drinks you had better do some more research. Even if a customer drinks $46/day RCI will still clear $35. I'm sure the RCI beancounters have set the price so that they would actually lose money on only 1% of cruisers.

Other cruisers do not pay for any loyalty discounts, the shareholders do.

Insulting because you don't agree with it? Hardly - you simply don't agree, and that's fine. How many threads on these boards are about C&A members not getting their way, their preferred level of treatment, their perceived self-importance, or other trivial matters? A bit of research would reveal quite a few. Is every high level member that way? Certainly not, but you have to admit that there are a fair number of them that are. If you took that as a personal attack, then I feel bad for your guilty conscience. If it doesn't apply to you, then you have no reason to be upset. Life's not fair, and there is no right to not be offended or insulted in life. I don't sugar coat things just to avoid upsetting others.

As to drink prices, I know full and well that the cruise lines make a ridiculous profit on drinks. However, if you feel that RCI is "giving" perks away, you would be sadly mistaken. The "freebies" they give away are cost calculated and that cost is spread across everyone. Fair no, but neither is our taxation, social security, or welfare systems. Either way, other people are partially paying for the free drinks given away. The beancounters have it figured out where they are not losing anything. As far as pricing discounts, if the C&A members feel they deserve a discount, I would think that somewhere along the lines of 10-15% would be appropriate.

Edited by A2Mich

No, not at all. I just don't see the point of a few free drinks and a special lounge - big deal. My whole point was that for the people wanting a package discounted by a huge amount, the costs of which WOULD be passed on to other people. I can see the priority embarkation, etc, but the whining on many threads about reduced or no free drinks is really petty. My only issue would be the basic expectation that other passengers WILL be paying for all of these discounts, if they were to happen. That's not fair to the non-eligible passengers. I know it's been said that the free drinks don't cost other cruisers, but bottom line, is that fares and drink prices are set in such a way to cover ALL costs and still maintain a profit. If RCI has to add more perks to their C&A program to keep the upper echelon members happy, those costs would be passed on to everyone else. To think they would not be is foolish.

I only see one person whining on this thread... Just sayin. ;-)

And no, not Diamond here. Sorry to deflate your argument against me before it got started. Relax already. Lol

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

No, not at all. I just don't see the point of a few free drinks and a special lounge - big deal.

Another problem with your argument is where it starts. The fact that you "don't see the point" is inconsequential. Obviously, RCI, a for profit company, "sees the point" or they wouldn't expend the money and effort to administer such a program. Also, the substantial number of cruisers who, at least to some extent, give RCI preference in making vacation decisions because of the program, a benefit for the company, "see the point" too.

If you are fundamentally opposed to past guest loyalty programs that convey any benefits of significant monetary value because of your overly simplistic notion that the costs must be "passed on" to others, as If it were anywhere near that black and white (it isn't), then I would suggest you vacation on Carnival Cruise Line if you have not already, a line that gives little of monetary value to top tier guests. Perhaps you could sail with them without fixating on the fallacious notion that you're paying for other people's free drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Dave85

I have cruised with Carnival and enjoyed their product as well. If RCI wants to giveaway a few drinks as a token gesture, whatever. But the notion that somebody is not paying for this is ridiculous. I'll be sure to tell the owners of my company that their giveaway costs (which are in fact spread out to every customer in the form of higher charges) are supposed to come out of their new profit and shares of the company. Bottom line is that when these giveaway costs reach a certain threshold, the overall costs to everyone will increase.

It's fine if RCI wants to give away low cost "benefits" to rewards members and make these members believe they're getting something of value, but I don't understand the entitlement attitude by various members of the program. It's a freaking cruise line we're talking about. Based on some of the comments you read on CC, you'd think that some of these people REALLY are royalty.

• 1 year later...