Wrap around deck

Greencay

Just returned from Riviera yesterday, Miami to Miami 2/13 to 2/23, PH 3. While on-board, we reserved suite 7030, on the Riviera for 4/11/16 through 4/25/16. It is a re-positioning cruise. Has anyone been in either of these (2) unique cabins on a trans- Atlantic cruise? We did a shore excursion-laden cruise in the Med, last year. Having a large deck would have been a waste, as we were on an excursion daily. I chose this cabin because we will have 9 days at sea. My concern is it's usage crossing the Atlantic. Will it be usable in April? Do cruise ships take a Northern route, as do airlines, when crossing the Atlantic?

I'm probably going to stay with my selection of cabins, as I like my room. Just looking for others' views. (StanandJim & LHT28, feel free to opine)

I can't speak to Riviera since we've only been on Marina, and we weren't in your cabin.

But on our TAs on Marina (from Barcelona west) and Miami east (usually on Regatta) weather has been fine. We did use our balconies. Others will say no, they didn't. (I agree that Stan & Jim are the best source!)

But April is different from November and I would think that you could use your balcony. When we did Barcelona-Rio on Marina in November '13 I was out there just about every day.

From the itinerary, it would seem to me that we are talking about the southern route.

In your case, since you like the cabin, I'd stick with it.

I am willing to be corrected ...

Mura

210504.jpg

7130 and 7135 are the two Penthouses with the huge L shaped verandas, I hope that the confusion was typographical here, and not in your booking :eek:

b_170607.jpgRVA160411.jpg

That said, the Voyage Map for your 2016 Cruise, very much shows the precise route of the ship.

In April, with the ship clipping along at twenty knots or so as she actually crosses the pond, you may find it windy and wet on a deck 7 veranda (you would be surprised how far salt spray can reach), but you'll almost definitely find it warm and calm enough during the first five days from Miami to Bermuda and again for your last five days from Funchal to Barcelona.

All in all, I'd give it a shot :D

I'm probably going to stay with my selection of cabins, as I like my room. Just looking for others' views. (StanandJim & LHT28, feel free to opine)

Doing our 1st TA in May but we are going a lot further north

Hope you have great weather

Lyn

Not StanandJim or LHT28 but I'll add my 2 cents.

Is the balcony usable? For me, absolutely. For you, it depends on the weather you are used to and what interests you.

We took a TA in November, the reverse, a few years back and friends thought the balcony would be wasted on such a trip. Had we not kept the booking I would have missed the great pleasure of even brief moments in the day, or late at night, of sitting out on my so very quiet balcony watching the clouds and sea and skyline transform.

As for the temperature I'll add that some of our nicest weather was right in the middle. Picture a map with the label 'Atlantic Ocean' in the centre. As we sailed over that middle 'a' on a bright sunny day the Captain's noon report told us the water temperature was 72 and the air 70. what?

That crossing was magnificent for me. DW has other priorities or we would have another booked right now.

It will not be get-a-tan-out-on-your-verandah weather, though we did have a few days of that, but for pure relaxation nothing could be finer.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I still recall it was.

Edited by YoHoHo
lost virtual keyboard spelling challenge

We have done TAs in both directions - once in November Rome to FLL and twice in late March Florida to Europe.

The route taken is very southerly. You spend two sea days going north/northeast to Bermuda and then you sail due east Bermuda to Madeira. We found the temperature, even on the first full day out, to be significantly lower than that when we sailed from Florida. By which I mean about 3° cooler, Celsius. which was fine. We had a large terrace in the stern of the ship on our last TA and we used it a lot. Temperatures between Bermuda and Madeira stayed quite constant and having a drink on the terrace with the sun setting into the water was a wonderful experience.

That said, having spent a lot of my life in Africa I did not find the weather warm enough to use the swimming pool. Others did though...