Never booking far in advance again.

stevex

I agree with the Original Poster on not booking early anymore...unless it is another European cruise that requires extensive airfare and hotel arrangements.

Booking early offers no benefits for cruises from US ports when we have more flight and hotel options.

All it creates is a bad taste when later bookers pay far less and quite often get "extras" like the UDP or UBP thrown in.

That's some thanks for committing to a line and lending them our money for a year.

That's some thanks for committing to a line and lending them our money for a year.

Most people book with a deposit.....and don't pay in full until final payment is due.....which is usually, what? 3 months before the cruise? I don't know if anyone really pays their cruise in full 1 year out.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Well, sure, but you can't act like NCL has no control here.

NCL offers upgrades and incentives all the time. It wouldn't cost them much to do *something* for people who paid significantly more than the going rate, to help make them feel less like they were taken advantage of.

NCL doesn't have to do this, but it would be good customer service. Retail stores have price protection and flexible return policies for a reason, and it's not because they like giving money away.

They overpriced the ship initially and now they are having a fire sale.

Lowering the fare for people who booked early doesn't make sense.

Would anyone be OK with them calling with a price increase after booking?

I agree with the Original Poster on not booking early anymore...unless it is another European cruise that requires extensive airfare and hotel arrangements.

Booking early offers no benefits for cruises from US ports when we have more flight and hotel options.

All it creates is a bad taste when later bookers pay far less and quite often get "extras" like the UDP or UBP thrown in.

You can book at a known price and pick the room that you want. And you can wait until the last minute to pay in full. There are advantages to booking early.

Whining because they are having a fire sale....is not one of the advantages.

If you have the flexibility then it's always best to wait and look for a bargain.

We have to sail during school holidays, when last minute flights can cost thousands more than they do if you book six months out. I almost always book the cruise at least a year out.

Until this year, prices of the cruise have only ever gone up. This year, our Getaway cruise has fallen slightly in price (about $100), but we are booked in an M6 cabin which was the category we specifically wanted, and they sold out months ago, so waiting would have done us no good there.

On the Spirit, the prices are about the same, but we did cancel and rebook to get the UBP thrown in (losing a FCCS deposit as we are in the UK). Given all that, we are a few thousand pounds up for having booked early.

If it was just the two of us then we would certainly wait, and today I would probably have booked the Spirit to the Canaries later this month for a stupidly low cost considering the extras thrown in.

Edited by KeithJenner

You can book at a known price and pick the room that you want. And you can wait until the last minute to pay in full. There are advantages to booking early.

Whining because they are having a fire sale....is not one of the advantages.

Nobody's "whining" here.

I book and pay when I want.

It's not going to prevent me from Agreeing with the original poster though.

Not positive of your question, but....

If it is before FINAL PAYMENT due date, you will get back 100% of what you have paid. Deposit and any other payments. It is the DATE that rules here.

p.s. - Some Travel Agents do have a cancel fee. $25 is often mentioned, and one was $100. But most do not.

Thanks!

Sorry for the rambling question... :o

Edited by aquarianne11

Booked August for June.

Paid 2089pp

Added all inclusive for 899 and ,got 10 % off the suite. Less than 3 k each , gratuities , UBP, UDP and a total 600 OBC , bingo(whoopie), 200@ excursion, etc.

Price today, 114 days out, into penalty period and almost final...

3799 pp UBP! UDP .

I am glad that we booked early.

Pdiddy

My advise, watch rates up to final payment time, then forget it. Remember you must have been happy with the original price or you wouldn't have booked in the first place. The second ofption, get a good travel agent, if you see a big price drop let them know, the have more clout than you, as an individual have. Remember they do not charge for their services except maybe a few $$s.

The second ofption, get a good travel agent, if you see a big price drop let them know, the have more clout than you, as an individual have?

Yes, if your PCC is your friends and/or someone you know. :D

Otherwise, good luck cause they don't really care once you booked.

Happened to friends that I know.

It's better to booked with NCL directly. :)

This is terrible advice. Knowledge is power and, even after final payment, NCL will do something for you- small aoBC, upgrade. Why not look, pay attention and see what "amends" you will get?

I just want to confirm that I understand this correctly...

So for "lose deposit only" penalty period, and If my deposit is only the

FCC =$150 --- I can cancel and will only lose $150 even if I already paid in full? Or will I lose the full deposit amount = $500?

Thanks for any info.

The FCC would count as your deposit.

Here is the fee schedule http://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

It's only a small window, but may be useful to someone.

Learned my lesson this time.

We're sailing on the Breakaway in March, and booked a year ago.

Today I can book the same cruise, same category on ncl.com for about $1200 less, and that includes the UBB, so about $2000 less.

I know it makes sense for NCL to lower prices and offer incentives to fill up the ship, but it sure punishes people for planning in advance. Shouldn't NCL be trying to encourage people to book in advance?

I'd be happier if they'd throw us a bone, like some discounted entertainment or bonus OBC or something, but I called in to ask and the answer was "no".

So, lesson learned, wait until a month before cruising to book.

If you did your due diligence you would not have this problem therefore you have no one to blame but youself.

Look at competition pricing, look at current pricing for same cruise same time.

Most cruisers know and you can certainly do the comparison but the Caribbean market is saturated with cruises. Therefor no need to book a year out, it's not even worth doing so for the extra Latitudes points

We booked 4 in a cabin during the kids sail free promotion. On the day of final payment, we penciled it out and it was still cheaper then cancelling and re-booking to get the UBP.

Now just to confuse you, two weeks after final payment, I decided to get my own studio so I could have a little more privacy. Still came out ahead but would have loved the UBP. They don't give that to studios and insides.

I just want to confirm that I understand this correctly...

So for "lose deposit only" penalty period, and If my deposit is only the

FCC =$150 --- I can cancel and will only lose $150 even if I already paid in full? Or will I lose the full deposit amount = $500?

This is actually a very interesting question that I can't answer. I had never thought about that.

To late book, you absolutely need to be flexible. A LOT of posters here, don't cruise often and have specific cruises chosen. Late booking is a far bigger risk for them.

Over many years- there are some predictable trends for the fire sale rates after final payment. Specifically cruises in Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb and Mar. There have been SOME excellent rates for holiday sailing- late booked- again flexibility is necessary.

Flexibility is the prime factor in getting lower rates. All rates are also going to be hindsight- you won't get the lowest every time. And no way to predict the absolute lowest.

I am a late booker, I also cruise at least every month, every one of my later booked cruises dropped like a rock after final payment when I snagged them, some dropped further.

Varied examples of my cruises- Epic 10/14 transAtlantic, HAL Zaandam 12/14 South America, NCL Star 1/15 Panama Canal and Carnival Freedom 2/15 reposist

This kind of travel is not for everyone, there are significant factors, some I list above. I am also fully accepting of not going and willing to go with any cruiseline. Again, some parameters not acceptable for some.

Yes, but that chart doesn't answer the question on hand.

I think it would be the full amount since my confirmation lists $500 deposit due (on whatever date) and then the use of the FCC so I think they would lose the full deposit amount not just the FCC. I could be wrong though, I have never cancelled a cruise.

Last year on Getaway, I attempted to rebook to get sale price with idea I would only lose the value of my FCC deposit. My TA told me NCL would charge me $500 as the deposit not the $250 value of the FCC. This eliminated the majority of the savings off the sale price, so did not do this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last year on Getaway, I attempted to rebook to get sale price with idea I would only lose the value of my FCC deposit. My TA told me NCL would charge me $500 as the deposit not the $250 value of the FCC. This eliminated the majority of the savings off the sale price, so did not do this.

Thanks for telling about your experience, much appreciated. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing your experience.