VASA Museum: transportation? Tips for a successful visit?

Pet Nit Noy

We also did the hoho boat both times we went and we were there before any arranged tours. You do however need a low light camera for good photos. The boat worked great as we hopped back on to the palace then walked to old town. Watch the Times though as it said it finished at 4 and finished early so we had a quick paced walk back to ship that took 20 to 30 mins so don't leave it fir the last boat

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Hi,

If your line stops at Nynashamn, then you are 40 km outside and have to google how to get to Stockholm from there. Looks like less expensive cruises pay less to dock there.

I believe I can take a shuttle to the train station, then there is a one-hour train journey to Stockholm, then take the boat or HOHO, they all stop at Vasa.

Or take the more expensive Princess shuttle.

Hi,

If your line stops at Nynashamn, then you are 40 km outside and have to google how to get to Stockholm from there. Looks like less expensive cruises pay less to dock there.

I believe I can take a shuttle to the train station, then there is a one-hour train journey to Stockholm, then take the boat or HOHO, they all stop at Vasa.

Or take the more expensive Princess shuttle.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and, especially, to the Northern Europe & Baltics Board.

I don't know how long you've lurked before starting to post on Cruise Critic, but I see that this is your third post. I have a recommendation to make your posts more helpful to board readers. If you hit the "quote" icon at the bottom right of the post you're replying to, the reply box will include the highlighted text of that post. If you're only responding to one topic within a larger post, you can edit out the extra words. Just be sure to leave in the information in square brackets that begins and ends the quoted post.

Replying with quoted material gives your answer some context and is especially helpful in a long thread which may have many sub-conversations.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

The Vasa remains one of our favorites in all of our travels. I can't recommend the audio file highly enough. It made a great impact on our enjoyment of the visit. We were able to go at our own pace and it was like having a private guide. Worth purchasing a cheap player if you don't own one, IMHO. (there are other great free audio files out there for many destinations too).

The Vasa remains one of our favorites in all of our travels. I can't recommend the audio file highly enough. It made a great impact on our enjoyment of the visit. We were able to go at our own pace and it was like having a private guide. Worth purchasing a cheap player if you don't own one, IMHO. (there are other great free audio files out there for many destinations too).

....or just put the files onto your phone...

That's where mine are! :) But, believe it or not, there are travelers out there who do not possess the technology.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but believe it or not, I am in the line of travelers that do NOT posses all that new fangled technology. Sorry if this is a downer, but I own a stupid phone, all it does is make phone calls. :confused::confused:

For me that's fine.

Cheers

Len

Sorry to rain on your parade, but believe it or not, I am in the line of travelers that do NOT posses all that new fangled technology. Sorry if this is a downer, but I own a stupid phone, all it does is make phone calls. :confused::confused:

For me that's fine.

Cheers

Len

I was not the one who suggested the files go on your phone, so my parade marches on! ;)

• 1 month later...

When does the Vasa become busy and for how long?

I know if I went when it opens at 10AM, I would avoid the lines. But, my ship docks in Stockholm at 8AM and so I would end up waiting anyways for it to open if I made that my first stop.

I was thinking about going somewhere else for my first visit, but I don't know if I should see the Vasa after that or save that for the last thing to see when I"m in Stockholm. Whatever time will mitigate the lines and crowds will probably be the one I pick.

If you did a shore excursion that went to Vasa, do you remember if it was right when Vasa opened? If I can do the opposite of the shore excursions, then hopefully I can avoid those cruise crowds.

I know if I went when it opens at 10AM, I would avoid the lines. But, my ship docks in Stockholm at 8AM and so I would end up waiting anyways for it to open if I made that my first stop.

I was thinking about going somewhere else for my first visit, but I don't know if I should see the Vasa after that or save that for the last thing to see when I"m in Stockholm. Whatever time will mitigate the lines and crowds will probably be the one I pick.

If you did a shore excursion that went to Vasa, do you remember if it was right when Vasa opened? If I can do the opposite of the shore excursions, then hopefully I can avoid those cruise crowds.

We visited the Vasa last year and agree it is a must see. Based on what we saw if you don't like crowds I would aim to be there as soon as it opened. We got there when it opened and were glad to be leaving by lunch time because of the crowds.

What I will say though, I read the history prior to our visit but my husband didn't. We both found that reading the plaques was very good and my husband didn't feel he missed anything by just doing this. The ship is just amazing and look for the section which explains how it was found and brought up to the surface. So you don't need to do a tour if you can't fit it in.

As background we have done audio tours on quite a few places like La Sagrada Familia and Louvre and found them very beneficial but were fine in the Vasa without it.

Julie

On this board there are very frequent recommendations to go to the Vasa Museum first thing you do. My guess is that the recommendation is from people who have been to the museum in the morning and seen long lines waiting when they leave. But they have never seen what happens during the rest of the day.

When I have guests visiting Stockholm and have taken them to the Vasa Museum it has usually been in the afternoon, and we have never had any problems, not even when it has been during the summer.

So my recommendation to cruise passengers would be to go to Vasa first thing if your ship docks so that you can be there when it opens. If not it may be better to go in the afternoon, rather than go there first but arrive when it is crowded later in the morning.

In your case of course you can be there when it opens, but My experience is that you can just as well do something els during the morning and go to Vasa in the afternoon.

Edited by north-bound

On this board there are very frequent recommendations to go to the Vasa Museum first thing you do. My guess is that the recommendation is from people who have been to the museum in the morning and seen long lines waiting when they leave. But they have never seen what happens during the rest of the day.

When I have guests visiting Stockholm and have taken them to the Vasa Museum it has usually been in the afternoon, and we have never had any problems, not even when it has been during the summer.

So my recommendation to cruise passengers would be to go to Vasa first thing if your ship docks so that you can be there when it opens. If not it may be better to go in the afternoon, rather than go there first but arrive when it is crowded later in the morning.

In your case of course you can be there when it opens, but My experience is that you can just as well do something els during the morning and go to Vasa in the afternoon.

I think it is also a matter of that during the summer (June-Aug) Vasa opens at 08.30 already and most other things doesn't open until 10.00.

Then imo by doing Vasa first the rest of the day will be more flexible i.e. if you plan on seeing Gamla Stan and the Royal Palace you don't have the same strict deadline.

If the ship leaves at 16.00 you have to be at it at perhaps 15.00.

If you then decide to do Gamla Stan first, you don't really "know" when the best time to leave for Vasa is.

Leave to early and you have time to spare that you really can't use for anything and if you leave too late you might have to cut your time at Vasa considerably to avoid missing the ship.

On the other hand if you start with Vasa, you have the rest of day free so that you can explore Old Town at your own pace.

Gamla Stan will also be more "alive" when the shops, restaurants and etc have opened at 10.

This is how I would do it if I were a cruise passenger coming to Stockholm for one day.

If your ship is staying over night then of course you can do Vasa later when most of the cruise passengers have left.

I'll second what others have said. The HOHO boat was prefect transportation for us. It went directly to the Vasa Museum first thing in the morning and got us there ahead of the crowds.

We watched the film first thing. We didn't feel the need to go on the guided tour. After watching the film, we strolled about on our own admiring the ship and taking photos. We spent a few hours at the museum and then headed back out to the HOHO boat and took it to the old town/palace area and then back to the ship when we finished touring.

We had a very short day in Stockholm, which was the only negative. I would have loved 1-3 more hours there. But the ship has to leave early I guess because of the amount of time it takes to get through the archipelago. We went up to the forward deck and relaxed and enjoyed the view for several hours. Some people suggested getting up at the crack of dawn to see it on the way IN to Stockholm, but I can't imagine that was better than a relaxing afternoon seeing it on the way OUT. :D

Even with the limited amount of time our cruise itinerary had in Stockholm, we managed to see the Vasa Museum in the morning without feeling rushed and then made our way over to see the changing of the guard and stroll around the old town shopping and sightseeing.

Edited by musicMAJ1042

musicMAJ1042, I'd say way in is better since there is something special about that morning light but you would basically have to get up at 4,5-5 hours before the ships eta at the dock.

I.e. Celebrity Silhouette that will be in Stockholm tomorrow. The ship's eta is 08.45 at Frihamnen.

The pilot will climb onboard at 03.45 already, at the Tjärven lighthouse which is where the archipelago starts.

Then sunrise tomorrow is at 04.22.

Edited by Desdichado62

musicMAJ1042, I'd say way in is better since there is something special about that morning light but you would basically have to get up at 4,5-5 hours before the ships eta at the dock.

I.e. Celebrity Silhouette that will be in Stockholm tomorrow. The ship's eta is 08.45 at Frihamnen.

The pilot will climb onboard at 03.45 already, at the Tjärven lighthouse which is where the archipelago starts.

Then sunrise tomorrow is at 04.22.

The problem with seeing a nice sunrise is that you have to get up before sunrise. ;)

Hi there!

Does anyone know if it is possible to pre book tickets for the Vasa? We were on a cruise in the Med last year and the queues for some of the top visitor attractions were huge - often even for those who had prebooked! :eek:

I can't find anything on Vasa's website or on the internet in general that indicates that it is possible. (unless you join an organised excursion, which we don't really want to do). So was just wondering if I'd missed something or whether this facility is just not available anywhere. With my, possibly, stereotyped idea of the Scandinavian countries I imagine that queues are dealt with quickly, efficiently and politely and therefore prebooking is rendered unnecessary - I hope that's true! :)

Our ship (RCI Brilliance) gets in to port at 08.00 and we plan on using the HOHO boat to get across to Vasa as soon as we can, so maybe the queues won't be too bad then anyway?

If you get off the ship when it docks and jump on the first hoho boat, you beat all the bus trips in

No pre-booking tickets is not possible.

Thank you Desdichado62 and Tiggertastic for your replies.

I was hoping, as you suggest, that if we headed over to Vasa as soon as we disembark the ship we might beat the crowds.

We also want to visit the Skansen Open Air Museum, so we always have the option of going there first if Vasa is extremely busy.

Hi All,

I need help in planning. Where do you buy hoho bus ticket? Can we pay by credit card? Is there

ATM on pier or terminal? Thanks a lot

I don't how it works but see links to companies in the first port in the link in my signature.

Look under "Boat sightseeing.". HoHo buses are operated by the same companies.