My first 'Live From' the Royal, February 26- March 9

RNGALNG

IF ITS SATURDAY, IT MUST BE PRINCES CAY!

We were up in time to have breakfast in the main dining room. We sat with a delightful couple, Deloris and Herman. Things are still code red as nothing is on the tables. Wash your hands, everyone! Use the Purell onboard too!

The lines to get onto a tender have just died down. We plan on just going over and walking around. We've been here a few times. The temp is suppose to be 76. Not all 'that' warm to locals, but the sun is shining and we are not shoveling snow or walking on water, just in it!

It doesn't get better than this!

Glad you got to Princess Cays. Last week we weren't able to tender their as the waves were a little too big.

Enjoying your review. Sorry that you had to suffer the first few days of code red, because of some folks from our journey. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Looking forward to the next cruise.

Waiting for more and thank you for your live post! We are sailing on the ship this holiday season and trying to learn all that we can.

We live in Florida but are sensitive to the awful weather you all have had.

Love the sun and warm weather!

OUR DAY IN ST THOMAS

We traveled over to the island, bobbing up and down along the way. We got there around noon. We walked the full length to the left, until we came to the private area for the Sanctuary. It seems every time we have come here, we head directly to a clamshell and the water. This trip, we decided to just check how much the island has grown. Our first trip there, about ten years ago, just didn't have the wonderfulness that awaits each passenger today. The toys that you can rent, the food, the many bars. Oh, and the crafts you can buy from locals. On our first trip, they were either outside the compound or not there. I guess I didn't read up enough as I didn't bring cash with me. After all, I have a cruise card that pays for everything, right?

We were here last year and spent all our time snorkeling. When we were hungry, we found that the food stations were all closed. This year, we did get to have the picnic food. The hamburgers, dogs, chicken, sausages were all warm! They had so much fresh fruit, one could have dived in and been a very happy camper. Being from the frozen tundras, we ate all the melons and pineapple we could put in the already full bellies. We can get apples, oranges, and bananas back home. A cantaloupe goes for close to four dollars in our local grocery stores.

We returned back to the ship around 2:30. We showered, had some cool drinks on our balcony, and then went to explore the rest of the ship we missed seeing yesterday. I love the different light fixtures in each area. The fountains, the displays. Oh, and all the photos! I'm now making it a point to travel down different hallways to check all of the photos out.

The water at the island was so blue, bluer than the sky. I thought we would have a great sunset, but as soon as we set sail for St. Thomas, the skies became gray again. No colorful sunset tonight.

When all aboard was announced, the captain came on to tell us all that the medical staff has not seen the number of case of folks coming to see them as in the past. He said we have another 48 hours to go before the code can be lifted.

I can not say enough about the crew onboard. They are all smiles, even with all this extra work they are called to do to keep up with the sanitizing onboard. You see them cleaning railings, computers, and buttons on the elevators. I'm sure they are exhausted from all this! They deserve a round of applause and some time off!

I don't know what the reason is, but this cruise has some people who don't understand the dining onboard. We saw a couple who said they were to be in the Symphony dining room at that time for dinner. The kind crew member had to explain that they needed to be in the other dining room. Tonight, the use of pagers had to be used. Could it be because they don't want to be eating in the buffet where spoons are still and you can serve yourself?

We waiting at IC for 30 minutes until we were buzzed for dinner. The string trio was playing in the piazza. So enjoyable. Hubby had the Caribbean pork with black beans and rice and I had the surf and turf. A great meal!

We then went to the yes/no game for some entertainment. No one made it the full three minutes but there is now a passenger going around as 'nine second Don' for the rest of the cruise!

When I posted the morning post, as soon as it posted, I was kicked off the internet. I was sitting just outside the cafe in the piazza. Internet is not the best. Hopefully when we get to St. Thomas I can look at the posts and try to answer any questions.

We loose an hour tonight, and sadly, we won't get it back as we in the US go to daylight savings next weekend, before the cruise ends.

It doesn't get any better than this!

I'm already relaxed as you can tell by my last post! We were at Princess Cay yesterday, at sea today and tomorrow will be St. Thomas. If it's Monday, it must be so!

Off to play trivia. Pub lunch and first formal are tonight. Our roll call has a meeting set up for 1:00. A busy sea day. When is nap time? We lost our hour last night and I want it back!

It can't get better than this!

We got on the ship about 3pm it took about 45mins to an hour from arriving our bags were already outside our cabin.

Re the Internet I took out an unlimited package for one device (just my iPad) I won't worry about the phone and this is 249 dollars for the 10 days - the Internet is fantastic I have seen short videos and used face time and it has been great wherever I am on the ship and I don't have to worry about watching how long I am online. Best I have ever known on a cruise.

We arrived at the port at two and there were very long but moving lines. They had it down to a great system and we never had to sit and wait. Thirty minutes tops to get all checked in and in our cabin. We put the few things we had as carry ons away and then high tailed it to Alfredo's for pizza! The place was empty! We each picked our own, hubby had the Royal Princess pizza and I the Capricciosa. We finished our meal with the apple tart. Off to a great beginning!

By the way, salt and peppers are not on the tables nor was the sugar for our iced teas. The second round of iced teas, they did bring and leave, the sugar. We have had no less that 5 staff try to serve us!

Off to explore the ship!

What time did you arrive at the port? What time did the ship sail? We depart at 4pm and was wondering what would be a good time to get there to avoid long lines. Thanks!

We arrived at the port at two and there were very long but moving lines. They had it down to a great system and we never had to sit and wait. Thirty minutes tops to get all checked in and in our cabin. We put the few things we had as carry ons away and then high tailed it to Alfredo's for pizza! The place was empty! We each picked our own, hubby had the Royal Princess pizza and I the Capricciosa. We finished our meal with the apple tart. Off to a great beginning!

By the way, salt and peppers are not on the tables nor was the sugar for our iced teas. The second round of iced teas, they did bring and leave, the sugar. We have had no less that 5 staff try to serve us!

Off to explore the ship!

Sorry, I meant to ask what time would you recommend to arrive at the port to avoid the long lines. Thanks.

Looking forward to reading this. Just booked a cruise on her for the middle of April. Even though we were just on the Royal in October I am psyched to be reading about current happenings!! Enjoy your trip!!

Dana

SEA DAY

Wow! The lobsters came out overnight. Those who shake and baked on the island yesterday are showing themselves off today. Ouch! The sun is shining and I am sure there are many out trying to add to the redness of their winter colored bodies.

We went and played trivia in the very chilly Vista Lounge. NOTE: Bring a light sweater folks!Some of the areas seem a lot cooler than others! END OF NOTE. Our team did a good job but not enough to bring home the grand prize. We had 14 out of 20 and the winning team had 18. Gee, and I so needed another valuable prize!

We have opted to not partake of the pub lunch this time. We spent some quality quiet time on our balcony watching the ever so blue waters and waves along with blue skies pass us by. Or are we passing them?

The captain came on at noon and told us the virus is holding at 'the normal number of cases you would expect on a Caribbean cruise' and that in another 24-48 hours the code might be lifted! Go team Royal!

Our meet and greet was held today. We had around 30 of those on our roll call show up. It was held in Club 6. Sadly, no officers came, but I'm sure with all the extras they have to do with the code, they tend to stay away from things like this. One on our roll call said she thought is extremely cold on her balcony, with all that wind too. She is from Los Angeles. Those of us from frozen lands find that these temperatures are about 80 more than we have been used to for the past few months and find sitting outside just delightful!

We ventured up to the buffet for a light lunch as it is a formal night and we ALL know the food on those nights!

Back to our room for more balcony time with books and fresh air. What Ohioan wouldn't be out there at ever opportunity?

Afternoon trivia got us 17 correct answers, again a bridesmaid. The winners had all 20 correct and will now take home a priceless gift from the ship. One question had 6 answers- for one point! If you didn't get even one part, you lost the point. That was one of our missed answers. And I so needed another prize!

Dinner tonight was the 50th anniversary one that had items from each decade listed. We both ate most of our meal from the list of specials except I went for the all the time salmon for my main. The Norman Love raspberry chocolate mousse was 'to die for!'

And, I am in serious trouble! The bread, butter, and salt and peppers were back on the tables. Is it possible to go into a fresh bread coma? We have trouble, right here on Princess Royal!

Doing my ever always people watching, there seemed to be more lobsters this evening. Of course with everyone all polished and in their finery, they did glow quite a bit. For men, I saw everything from just a dress shirt, some with suits and ties, a full kilt, and a few tuxedos. Women were in long dresses and all their bangles and beads down to a pair of dark slacks with a nice blouse. Flats to high heels. So feel comfortable in what makes you feel good on your vacation!

Our evening entertainment was in Princess Live for Liars Club. Always a favorite!

More observations on this ship. When the Royal first came on the scene, I wasn't sure I wanted to sail on her after hearing all the complaints. But I can live with most of the problems that others has discussed on the boards. I love all the textures, colors, and glitz in the piazza. The rooms do seem a bit smaller, but we can live with that. The balconies are a tad small as well. Hubby is a tall man and when the two of us (I am a little shorter than normal) sit out on it, we both have to sit straight up. No lounging back.

Love how the public restrooms are recessed in from the halls but don't like, well to be honest, so far, I have only used one once, how you had to go around corners and all the small edges to get inside. It got a bit crowded when some were washing hands and others were waiting in line to do so and yet others were trying to get by all that to find what we call at home, the litter box. TMI, I'm sure. Just a bit tight.

Everything seems very roomy and we have never felt crowded in any venue. This is a full ship too.

Everyone, since getting onboard, seem to be acting as one would expect while on vacation. I have not seen nor heard of arguments, seen anyone who has maybe had a wee bit too much libation. A good mix of passengers.

There seem to be a lot from Canada on this journey and at last nights yes/no game there were 3 from Michigan. Go figure.

It's time for us to rest our bodies. Tomorrow is another sun filled day of relaxation!

Re the Internet I took out an unlimited package for one device (just my iPad) I won't worry about the phone and this is 249 dollars for the 10 days - the Internet is fantastic I have seen short videos and used face time and it has been great wherever I am on the ship and I don't have to worry about watching how long I am online. Best I have ever known on a cruise.

This is the first I have read about an unlimited Internet option being available.

And you indicate it was just for one device. Usually a package is not restricted to one device and can be used on multiple devices, but only on one at a time.

So, what is the yes or no game?

Cruise staff person asks you questions (Example: Are you enjoying the cruise?) and you cannot answer with "yes" or "no."

You win if you can go 3 minutes without saying "yes" or "no." Very few succeed. Prize is a bottle of "Champagne."

Cruise staff person asks you questions (Example: Are you enjoying the cruise?) and you cannot answer with "yes" or "no."

You win if you can go 3 minutes without saying "yes" or "no." Very few succeed. Prize is a bottle of "Champagne."

Thank you for answering! You get buzzed if you also nod or shake your head, use 'un-huh' and such. The longest someone went was 2.35. The cruise director running it also sat in the hot seat and he didn't make it the full time.

Happy to hear you are having a great time! I was just wondering when you got your luggage delivered to your room since boarding time was later. Have fun!!!

We were onboard by 2:30. Our luggage did not arrive until sometime during muster which started at 5:00.

What time did you arrive at the port? What time did the ship sail? We depart at 4pm and was wondering what would be a good time to get there to avoid long lines. Thanks!

If you read the first post, we were under a delay due to a deep cleaning of the ship. They sent us emails and phone calls telling us not to arrive before 1:30 due to that. We shuttled from our hotel and arrived by 2:00. We were onboard by 2:30. I can't tell you when it would be good for you to arrive. Different times!

If there is no boarding delay due to code red or whatever...the best time to arrive is probably around 2PM.

There is a BIG cluster at 11 due to people who want to get on the ship as early as possible. A smaller cluster of people who want to get on before 1:30 so they can enjoy embarkation lunch in the MDR. It is said (haven't seen cuz we are in the get on for lunch bunch) that around 2-3PM you arrive, check in and walk on.

That sounds like fun. Similar to games played at bridal showers. No matter how hard you try, your tongue overpowers your mind.

OUR DAY IN ST THOMAS

We traveled over to the island, bobbing up and down along the way. We got there around noon. We walked the full length to the left, until we came to the private area for the Sanctuary. It seems every time we have come here, we head directly to a clamshell and the water. This trip, we decided to just check how much the island has grown. Our first trip there, about ten years ago, just didn't have the wonderfulness that awaits each passenger today. The toys that you can rent, the food, the many bars. Oh, and the crafts you can buy from locals. On our first trip, they were either outside the compound or not there. I guess I didn't read up enough as I didn't bring cash with me. After all, I have a cruise card that pays for everything, right?

We were here last year and spent all our time snorkeling. When we were hungry, we found that the food stations were all closed. This year, we did get to have the picnic food. The hamburgers, dogs, chicken, sausages were all warm! They had so much fresh fruit, one could have dived in and been a very happy camper. Being from the frozen tundras, we ate all the melons and pineapple we could put in the already full bellies. We can get apples, oranges, and bananas back home. A cantaloupe goes for close to four dollars in our local grocery stores.

We returned back to the ship around 2:30. We showered, had some cool drinks on our balcony, and then went to explore the rest of the ship we missed seeing yesterday. I love the different light fixtures in each area. The fountains, the displays. Oh, and all the photos! I'm now making it a point to travel down different hallways to check all of the photos out.

The water at the island was so blue, bluer than the sky. I thought we would have a great sunset, but as soon as we set sail for St. Thomas, the skies became gray again. No colorful sunset tonight.

When all aboard was announced, the captain came on to tell us all that the medical staff has not seen the number of case of folks coming to see them as in the past. He said we have another 48 hours to go before the code can be lifted.

I can not say enough about the crew onboard. They are all smiles, even with all this extra work they are called to do to keep up with the sanitizing onboard. You see them cleaning railings, computers, and buttons on the elevators. I'm sure they are exhausted from all this! They deserve a round of applause and some time off!

I don't know what the reason is, but this cruise has some people who don't understand the dining onboard. We saw a couple who said they were to be in the Symphony dining room at that time for dinner. The kind crew member had to explain that they needed to be in the other dining room. Tonight, the use of pagers had to be used. Could it be because they don't want to be eating in the buffet where spoons are still and you can serve yourself?

We waiting at IC for 30 minutes until we were buzzed for dinner. The string trio was playing in the piazza. So enjoyable. Hubby had the Caribbean pork with black beans and rice and I had the surf and turf. A great meal!

We then went to the yes/no game for some entertainment. No one made it the full three minutes but there is now a passenger going around as 'nine second Don' for the rest of the cruise!

When I posted the morning post, as soon as it posted, I was kicked off the internet. I was sitting just outside the cafe in the piazza. Internet is not the best. Hopefully when we get to St. Thomas I can look at the posts and try to answer any questions.

We loose an hour tonight, and sadly, we won't get it back as we in the US go to daylight savings next weekend, before the cruise ends.

It doesn't get any better than this!

So glad you are doing this...I disembarked on the 17th and this is helping with my PCD!

On our trip my cabin mate was called "4 Second Rosie" after she attempted the Yes/No gameshow. Stuck with her the remainder of the cruise!

SEA DAY

Afternoon trivia got us 17 correct answers, again a bridesmaid. The winners had all 20 correct and will now take home a priceless gift from the ship. One question had 6 answers- for one point! If you didn't get even one part, you lost the point. That was one of our missed answers. And I so needed another prize!

My guess is that you're sailing with the same group we had on our cruise...they are at EVERY trivia game and they win EVERY TIME...

That being said...they are just the nicest group ever! A couple from Great Britain and the rest from NJ, NY and Florida.

Keep having a good time!

Thanks for doing your 'live from'.....i enjoy reading everyone's comments, good, bad or indifferent.

Might you be able to inform us who the bands / groups are please. And whether the 'Beatlemaniacs' are boarding any time soon.

We are sailing on the 19th March for a back to back......can't wait.

We have friends or your cruise who were probably at the M&G but they must be enjoying themselves so much that they haven't emailed yet.

Thanks again.....carry on enjoying your cruise.

Pete