Charters or Large Groups Onboard

Cruiser Andi

Looking at the compiled list, I can't imagine ANY of those types of "groups" bothering you in the least! I would think a group would be busy doing their own thing, freeing up the pool and other public areas for your use.

If they're having a "conference", it will be in a conference room...somewhere you simply would never need to use!!

There are "groups" on EVERY cruise....and 99% of the time, you would never know. Groups are usually a non-issue.

How do you find out this information? Our Roll Call is very quiet for the March 15th on the Eurodam, and I am afraid it is because there is a large group or conference booked...........

CJ Cruiser posts this on a regular basis here. It is a volunteer endeavour, just like the Fleet Locations, Bon Voyage and Future Cruise threads. Those members who do those threads devote a lot of time for our benefit.

One of the "Ugly" problems in the cruise industry are the large groups that are sometimes found on shorter cruises (generally 10 days or less). The cruise lines go to the extreme to keep large group info from other passengers since many experienced cruisers might avoid that particular cruise (or cancel). So, do groups make a real difference? Yes, they certainly can and do impact many things on ships. We have been on cruises when large groups will take over most (or all) of an entire fixed seating. We have been on cruises (especially HAL) where certain public rooms are simply closed to the non-group cruisers. In fact, on a HAL Caribbean cruise (one of the few short cruises we have taken on HAL) the Crow's Nest (our favorite late afternoon early evening venue) was closed more then half the sea days for a group. And in the worst case it can be an awful experience. We know of one Christian Religious Group who filled about half of a large cruise ship (on RCI) and even brought their own entertainers. This group took over many venues (including the main show room) and caused lots of inconvenience for non-group passengers (and also denied them use of multiple public rooms).

So, here is my take on the topic. While cruise lines will say they are "protecting the privacy of groups by not disclosing information" the reality is quite different. There is no "privacy" since the presence of those groups is common knowledge on the cruise. The cruise lines are really denying cruisers the right to make informed decisions. They are also denying many cruisers the use of certain public facilities and hence "discriminating" against the non-group passengers. And we should add that many large groups actually have their own Web sites, publish the names and dates of their "group cruises" and accept booking from just about anyone. But the cruise lines tell us that they must keep this information "private?" What a crock/

Hank

One of the "Ugly" problems in the cruise industry are the large groups that are sometimes found on shorter cruises (generally 10 days or less). The cruise lines go to the extreme to keep large group info from other passengers since many experienced cruisers might avoid that particular cruise (or cancel). So, do groups make a real difference? Yes, they certainly can and do impact many things on ships. We have been on cruises when large groups will take over most (or all) of an entire fixed seating. We have been on cruises (especially HAL) where certain public rooms are simply closed to the non-group cruisers. In fact, on a HAL Caribbean cruise (one of the few short cruises we have taken on HAL) the Crow's Nest (our favorite late afternoon early evening venue) was closed more then half the sea days for a group. And in the worst case it can be an awful experience. We know of one Christian Religious Group who filled about half of a large cruise ship (on RCI) and even brought their own entertainers. This group took over many venues (including the main show room) and caused lots of inconvenience for non-group passengers (and also denied them use of multiple public rooms).

So, here is my take on the topic. While cruise lines will say they are "protecting the privacy of groups by not disclosing information" the reality is quite different. There is no "privacy" since the presence of those groups is common knowledge on the cruise. The cruise lines are really denying cruisers the right to make informed decisions. They are also denying many cruisers the use of certain public facilities and hence "discriminating" against the non-group passengers. And we should add that many large groups actually have their own Web sites, publish the names and dates of their "group cruises" and accept booking from just about anyone. But the cruise lines tell us that they must keep this information "private?" What a crock/

Hank

I couldn't have said it any better. Having experience exactly that when cruising on a 12 day cruise where the Crow Nest was shut down 11 of the 12 evenings for a group operated by Jazzdagen Tours

Looking at the compiled list, I can't imagine ANY of those types of "groups" bothering you in the least! I would think a group would be busy doing their own thing, freeing up the pool and other public areas for your use.

If they're having a "conference", it will be in a conference room...somewhere you simply would never need to use!!

There are "groups" on EVERY cruise....and 99% of the time, you would never know. Groups are usually a non-issue.

We were on Ryndam with a very large group of which we were not a part.

Please imagine this....... We were forced to leave aft pool on a beautiful sea day so the large group could have a private pool party. Please imagine this....... we lost use of Crows Nest every night but maybe one out of the cruise.

I have most certainly learned one thing from my years on CC:

Just because I have not experienced something does not mean it doesn't happen.

IF you are able to determine there is a group that is in the range of 30% of total guests on board, avoid it.

The shorter cruise before ours in Norway last year had a huge number of people in a very religious Christian group. Open seating was not available as the group took over the entire lower floor of the dining room. The showroom was taken over much of the cruise, as was the Crow's Nest. If that had been my portion of the cruise, I'd have cancelled! BTW, the beverage department was NOT happy about that 10 days either!

The shorter cruise before ours in Norway last year had a huge number of people in a very religious Christian group. Open seating was not available as the group took over the entire lower floor of the dining room. The showroom was taken over much of the cruise, as was the Crow's Nest. If that had been my portion of the cruise, I'd have cancelled! BTW, the beverage department was NOT happy about that 10 days either!

Many of us would choose to cancel IF we knew there was such a group but we don't always know and can't always find out. Cruise lines do their best to remain silent about it and even if directly asked are not always forthright....... for obvious reasons. It is a rotten thing to do to full paying guests IMO We pay for full use of the ship; not sometimes some venues.

Beverage Department likely was fine. HAL knew the group to whom they were booking all those cabins and knew they would not be drinking. The per diem they charged very probably took that into account and the beverage department was also likely 'taken care of', as should be.

Edited by sail7seas

I agree Sails. It was only because of the list posted here on this board that I knew they'd be there.

As for the Beverage Department, no, they were not alright. HAL did not reduce their expected sales for the cruise and they were found lacking.

Many of us would choose to cancel IF we knew there was such a group but we don't always know and can't always find out. Cruise lines do their best to remain silent about it and even if directly asked are not always forthright....... for obvious reasons. It is a rotten thing to do to full paying guests IMO We pay for full use of the ship; not sometimes some venues.

Beverage Department likely was fine. HAL knew the group to whom they were booking all those cabins and knew they would not be drinking. The per diem they charged very probably took that into account and the beverage department was also likely 'taken care of', as should be.

I agree with Sails, if your paying full price for a cruise you should have full access to all public areas, period. Not just 2 day out of the cruise but everyday of the cruise, other wise discount my fee for cruising by half or more.

I had originally asked where the list was because when I went to the roll call for my upcoming cruise on NA for the Panama Canal April 2016, everyone on the roll call is part of a military reunion group. I emailed my PCC and she said they have very few bookings for that group and it shouldn't be a problem but it does concern me since this is a special 20th anniversary cruise for my husband and I.

Edited by Cruiser Andi

I had originally asked where the list was because when I went to the roll call for my upcoming cruise on NA for the Panama Canal April 2016, everyone on the roll call is part of a military reunion group. I emailed my PCC and she said they have very few bookings for that group and it shouldn't be a problem but it does concern me since this is a special 20th anniversary cruise for my husband and I.

If I were concerned about how large a group (any group - wouldn't make a difference what they all had in common), I would be asking as many people as I could to get as much info as I could. My late DH and I were unpleasantly surprised to be immersed in a cruise that was very impacted by a large group that behaved as though it was a private charter and the rest of us were in their way.

I suggest calling your PCC and asking more questions.

Edited by sail7seas

If I were concerned about how large a group (any group - wouldn't make a difference what they all had in common), I would be asking as many people as I could to get as much info as I could. My late DH and I were unpleasantly surprised to be immersed in a cruise that was very impacted by a large group that behaved as though it was a private charter and the rest of us were in their way.

I suggest calling your PCC and asking more questions.

You and I must think alike! I emailed PCC who got in touch with their group division and she said it looks like a small group. I emailed the TA who is organizing the reunion and he said it's not selling as well as they'd hoped. Anything can change between now and April with the size of the group and no one is willing to tell me how many people this may end up being. I understand where they're coming from because they have no idea at this point how many may book. I'm considering switching to the Maasdam at this point just to be safe. And I LOVE the small ships.

I wouldn't be quick to cancel but now that you have group contact information, call them from time to time 'pretending' to be interested in booking with the group and ask how many participants they have. If the numbers stay reasonable, no problem. :)

I wouldn't be quick to cancel but now that you have group contact information, call them from time to time 'pretending' to be interested in booking with the group and ask how many participants they have. If the numbers stay reasonable, no problem. :)

Great idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

There was a group of anesthesiologists on our British Isles cruise. Lovely group of people who impacted the cruise not at all. They had educational sessions in smaller meeting rooms. We met one doctor and his wife from Belfast at dinner one night. They were wonderful interesting people. I guess you just never know.

It is usually just a matter of numbers. How big a percentage of the total number of pax are part of the group? If it approaches 35%, it is likely there will be some inconvenience to those not part of the group.

A small group of doctors would usually be just about invisible to the rest of the pax.

Perhaps they have a lounge one night for an hour or so for a private cocktail party but they likely would not be taking over an entire seating at dinner. SOME groups take all of the Main Upper Dining and no one else gets to get that choice. That doesn't happen often but it happens.

Great idea! I usually don't worry about things like this, but this thread made me curious, so I googled my cruise dates. There is a group on board, but I don't know the size. What did catch my eye and has me wondering is their statement of having private parties. An hour in a lounge, ok, but an entire evening or afternoon, no.

Great idea! I usually don't worry about things like this, but this thread made me curious, so I googled my cruise dates. There is a group on board, but I don't know the size. What did catch my eye and has me wondering is their statement of having private parties. An hour in a lounge, ok, but an entire evening or afternoon, no.

As a few of us have noted, HAL tends to locate private parties in the Crow's Nest. And these parties are normally held in late afternoon/early evening at the time when some of us would normally be enjoying the views and atmosphere of that scenic venue. Personally, we think that its outrageous that HAL (or other lines) would take one of the better public lounges out of service to the masses to satisfy the needs of a group.

Hank

As a few of us have noted, HAL tends to locate private parties in the Crow's Nest. And these parties are normally held in late afternoon/early evening at the time when some of us would normally be enjoying the views and atmosphere of that scenic venue. Personally, we think that its outrageous that HAL (or other lines) would take one of the better public lounges out of service to the masses to satisfy the needs of a group.

Hank

Since this cruise is to Alaska, the Crow's Nest is prime for viewing in late afternoon/early evening. I would hate to be shut out. However, until I can confirm the locale of their private parties, I'm not going to get all twisted up about it. I'll email or call my PCC about it and if she can't give the information, I'll try Sail7Seas idea of calling the group and pretending to be interested.

Deb

My wife and I were on a cruise with a large group of square dancers onboard. I have no idea what percentage of the pax base they comprised, but their presence was felt throughout the ship at all times of the day because they were often dressed in full costume. You haven't lived until you've been whiplashed by crinoline while trying to drink a Pina Colada.:eek: