wet/dry swimsuits, etc.

Hello, I am going on my first cruise soon and I need some guidance. I've always lived in a landlocked place so when we go swimming its a big to-do. It sounds like when you're in port in the Caribbean its not uncommon to go to the beach, stay awhile, go somewhere for lunch, go back to the beach, go do some shopping, etc. What do you wear??? Do you change in and out of your suit each time? If not, what kind of things do you throw on over it? Please shed some light for me. Thank you!

NO! We do NOT change! Towel off... We sit in the sun, and dry off...then put your shorts or coverup OVER the swimsuit! You can shower and change once you get back to the ship!

There are lots of "coverups" for women...a sundress works fine, too, as will shorts and a top!

Men can just put a shirt over swim trunks...if they're wearing a "speedo" (god forbid), put shorts over them!

There is really no need to carry clothes to change into ashore with you. Just another extra "step" you need to work into your day.

I usually wear a strapless sundress as a cover up, before going to lunch etc will just lay out for a little bit so my suit dries and then wander around at will.

If we're on the ship and I know we aren't going to be back at the pool for the rest of the day I may go change, but pretty much I'm in my swim suit most of the days!

I live in the south and during the summer I live in swimsuits and cover-ups. I recommend you buy pretty sun dresses vs the zip up frumpy swimsuit cover-ups that I see for sale. Any dress will work...long or short...just look for casual fabrics, things that won't wrinkle or look bad if they do wrinkle etc. Then wear the dress over your swimsuit. No need to change unless you are uncomfortable. Of it is hot your suit will dry quickly. A cute dress works for lunch or shopping directly over your swimsuit. Easy!

Hi

We usually change so we're not in wet bathing suits all day.

If we're planning to go to a beach at some point during our day on any island, we'll usually be dressed in shorts, t shirts and have our bathing suits packed in a beach bag or knapsack.

When we get to the beach, we change. Then when we're done at the beach, we change back to our dry clothes. Don't forget to bring a plastic bag to put the wet suits in so everything else in your beach bag stays dry.

The exception would be a cruise line's private island where we're probably just getting off the ship and right at the beach. We would probably just wear bathing suits here with a coverup for me / T shirt for my husband. If we were doing any of the more active island activities (ex. zipline, coaster, etc) we may do our usual bring the bathing suits and have dry clothes on for those things.

There really is no right or wrong, it's just what you are comfortable with.

• 2 weeks later...

What I have found works best for me is I wear the polyester underwear with a suit that doesn't have the lining in. It is uncomfortable to walk with a normal suit on, plus the polyester dries out kinda fast. Then I throw a shirt on and I am good.