Eclipse Photo Review - Feb. 15, 2015 Exotic Southern Carribean Cruise in Aqua Class

prim8keeper

IMG_6999_zpsswckn7te.jpg

A final shot of the Pitons off in the distance. In December when we go back we are going to climb them!

IMG_7003_zpsxc69u6ui.jpg

IMG_7010_zpsdx8396ow.jpg

IMG_7017_zpse1anxdoa.jpg

A rainbow appeared as we were leaving, although it did bring rain with it.

IMG_7027_zpsqejkwbrt.jpg

You can find the full St. Lucia album here.

After I took that photo we decided to head back down to our cabin since it began to rain. From here we decided to get dinner and then settled into what had become a typical evening for us. We met our friends at the Molecular bar around at 6:30 pm for a pre-dinner drink. Since I don't think I have shown a photo of one of the drinks made with liquid nitrogen yet, below is a white cloud which is a personal favorite of mine.

IMG_8506_zpswdbx5pxx.jpg

After a drink we decided to head to dinner in Blu. Once again we had a great dinner. By now we were sitting at the same table every night so we could have the same waitstaff and sommelier. Our table was also close enough to the host stand so that we could interact with the wonderful hostess, Anita, when she had down time. Following dinner we stopped off at Cafe al Bacio and then the martini bar. From there we decided to call it a night. I was tired since I got up so early and we had another busy day ahead of us in Antigua.

----we ended up buying 2 bottles of unusual rum I wouldn't have bought otherwise. The first was a peanut rum cream and the second was a coconut rum mix. After making our purchases we headed back to the ship.

When you arrived back at the ship, were your purchase 'confiscated' to be returned to you on the final night?

Edited by upwarduk

When you arrived back at the ship, were your purchase 'confiscated' to be returned to you on the final night?

I'm going to say yes and no to this question. There technically was a table where you were supposed to check your bottles, however it was poorly located and no one specifically told me I needed too. In the past they have. So we did end up checking those two bottles just because. However, you easily could have not checked them and I suspect some people didn't. In St. Maarten we didn't end up checking our bottles. We have experienced in both ways, lax and being strictly enforced. It seems to vary depending on the cruise.

I'm going to say yes and no to this question. There technically was a table where you were supposed to check your bottles, however it was poorly located and no one specifically told me I needed too. In the past they have. So we did end up checking those two bottles just because. However, you easily could have not checked them and I suspect some people didn't. In St. Maarten we didn't end up checking our bottles. We have experienced in both ways, lax and being strictly enforced. It seems to vary depending on the cruise.

We didn't buy anything this cruise (suitcases were too close to weight limits) but we had the experience once that Allan and I were directed to two different lines to check in at one port. We were on a B2B and had purchased wine for the second cruise so we didn't care if they took it because we knew we'd get it back on turn around day.

Anyways, they took my wine and waved Allan through.

So it really is unpredictable and random!

Celebrity Today - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015

Featured Today - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015

Port Shopping Map - Antigua

We were lucky that the morning of Antigua we were able to sleep in a little. Our excursion didn't start until 9:30 am. I know, still early for some, but late for us at this point. Since we had some extra time we decided to go to breakfast in Blu. From here we went back up to our cabin to get everything we needed for the day and then it was down to the Passport bar to meet everyone around 9 am. Today we were doing another group excursion with our friends. We were going on the Antigua Panoramic tour with Voyages Antigua. It was an all around island tour which included time at the end at Valley Church beach.

A photo of Eclipse as we were walking to meet our guide for the day.

IMG_7053_zpssxffs9g9.jpg

Our first stop of the day was Nelson's Dockyard. We took a brief tour of the Dockyard and then we had time to explore on our own and shop. We also got to try some rum punch that was made with the same proof as what the sailors used to drink. Lets just say for those of us who finished our "punch" the tour gets a little fuzzy for a while.

IMG_7060_zpshczgfujj.jpg

IMG_7061_zpsdcrxcezf.jpg

IMG_7075_zpsagamdhuy.jpg

IMG_7078_zpsskf50xmb.jpg

This store was really cool. We ended up buying a carved whale here. My DH was on the fence but I convinced him we needed it. I blame the punch.

IMG_7082_zpsteepxwvl.jpg

A few more photos from Nelson's Dockyard. For those who visit in the future there is also a small bakery behind the museum which has a great selection of pastries. We had a pineapple turnover.

IMG_7085_zpshgplpwux.jpg

IMG_7088_zpsqh7bdge5.jpg

IMG_7084_zpslseeyjg0.jpg

From here we made our way to English Harbour. As you can see they only allow small yachts here. :rolleyes: Notice the one with the helicopter on the back of it.

IMG_7097_zpsuvwwydal.jpg

IMG_7101_zpsunjcmgi9.jpg

After visiting Shirley's Heights we headed down towards Valley Church beach.

IMG_7230_zpsbgxpog04.jpg

I'm not sure I can put into how words how beautiful this beach was.

IMG_7241_zpsr0hsfwhi.jpg

IMG_7253_zpswaatu0u5.jpg

IMG_7260_zps9czrhhvi.jpg

Since we had not eaten yet we decided to have lunch at the beach. I had the friend shrimp with tamarind sauce which was fantastic.

IMG_7282_zpshp3cwqce.jpg

Even on vacation Atlanta is never far!

IMG_7272_zpsoikcvmav.jpg

After lunch we continued to wander on the beach until it was time to go. Most of our group ended up sitting out on the beach while we were there.

IMG_7283_zpsxe6pd7wp.jpg

IMG_7304_zps1tse1w1o.jpg

IMG_7334_zps1w46pceo.jpg

After about two hours at the beach we headed back to port. We arrived around 3 pm and since we had some time my DH and I decided to walk around.

We ended up stumbling upon a really cool art store where we bought a few things. I also try and find things that are unique to the island we are on.

IMG_7343_zpsfzoixu9r.jpg

IMG_7345_zpsvavz9rhn.jpg

After walking around for about 30 minutes we decided to head back onto the ship. As usual we dropped off our stuff and then headed up to the Sunset bar for sail away.

A view of the port area.

IMG_7360_zpsdvjluum9.jpg

They were doing something in the harbor while we were there but I'm not exactly sure what.

IMG_7388_zpskpliflcz.jpg

The MSC ship which was next to us in Antigua.

IMG_7401_zpsdjz5uzyb.jpg

The port shopping area as we began to pull away.

IMG_7411_zpsigd81ty8.jpg

A view of downtown.

IMG_7434_zpshnofujdm.jpg

IMG_7566_zps9fl7c6nt.jpg

IMG_7628_zpsuahrtgpk.jpg

It really was a beautiful island. Too bad more X ships don't stop here regularly. This would be a great addition to the Equinox 10 sailing to mix it up.

IMG_7641_zpsqhu1cnpe.jpg

IMG_7663_zpsz530eltg.jpg

IMG_7687_zpsniqanpth.jpg

IMG_7701_zpszexcdk2k.jpg

The full Antigua album.

After sail away we went back down to our cabin and got ready for dinner. The plan was the same as it was most nights - the Molecular bar and then dinner in Blu with our friends. I think this was the most we have eaten in Blu on any cruise. Usually we mix it up with more specialty restaurant visits, but this time we just didn't see the need for that.

The Kentucky Derby from the Molecular bar.

IMG_8518_zpssx112kvt.jpg

IMG_8530_zpszeih2ukg.jpg

After dinner we stopped off at Cafe al Bacio for an espresso and then sat in the Ensemble lounge for a while talking with friends. By this point I was really starting to feel having planned an excursion in each port. As usual around midnight we decided to call it a night. Tomorrow in St. Kitts we were going to be venturing over to Nevis.

Great review and amazing pictures! You're helping me relive my experience on the sailing after yours, and you saved me the trouble of putting pictures in my review (because they just don't measure up...).

Jazzbeau

We didn't buy anything this cruise (suitcases were too close to weight limits) but we had the experience once that Allan and I were directed to two different lines to check in at one port. We were on a B2B and had purchased wine for the second cruise so we didn't care if they took it because we knew we'd get it back on turn around day.

Anyways, they took my wine and waved Allan through.

So it really is unpredictable and random!

Karen, just curious, did you get your wine for the second leg?

Suz

Great review and amazing pictures! You're helping me relive my experience on the sailing after yours, and you saved me the trouble of putting pictures in my review (because they just don't measure up...).

Jazzbeau

Thanks host Jazzbeau!

Karen, just curious, did you get your wine for the second leg?

Suz

Suzanne

Yes, we did. We made sure before purchasing the wine that we would get it delivered to the cabin at the end of the first cruise.

I don't know if it matters but it was on the Solstice in Australia 2 years ago.

There's a great wine store in downtown Sydney near the port.

Tom

Thank you so , SO much for this beautiful review.

I love waking up to your magnificent pictures and they bring back wonderful memories of the things we did and a great view of what we didn't do. (On Antigua we just took a bus to a quiet beach)

(Oh - just remembered that it was on that cruise that we met Anita. Believe it or not she was an assistant waiter but it was obvious that she was being trained for something else.)

Edited by chamima

Tom

Thank you so , SO much for this beautiful review.

I love waking up to your magnificent pictures and they bring back wonderful memories of the things we did and a great view of what we didn't do. (On Antigua we just took a bus to a quiet beach)

(Oh - just remembered that it was on that cruise that we met Anita. Believe it or not she was an assistant waiter but it was obvious that she was being trained for something else.)

Thanks Karen! If you don't mind me asking, what beach did you go too and would you go back? We will be back in Antigua in December and I think we are just going to do a full beach day.

Thanks Karen! If you don't mind me asking, what beach did you go too and would you go back? We will be back in Antigua in December and I think we are just going to do a full beach day.

We went to Darkwood Beach and yes, we WILL go back.

(We almost went to Jolly Beach but I couldn't find any reports about it)

It's very bare bones, though as far as amenities.

You can rent loungers but if you want shade you need to stay under their canopy.

There is a restaurant and a bar but that's it.

It's really quiet and that is important to us.

We took the public bus and had a great conversation with two women on their way to work. We have found the Antiguan people extremely friendly and nice!

Also, if you like curry, you HAVE to go to Roti King in town (they open at 9:30 so you can get some to take to the beach with you). We found that all we had to do to get there was ask people - everyone seemed to be familiar with it.

We went to Darkwood Beach and yes, we WILL go back.

(We almost went to Jolly Beach but I couldn't find any reports about it)

It's very bare bones, though as far as amenities.

You can rent loungers but if you want shade you need to stay under their canopy.

There is a restaurant and a bar but that's it.

It's really quiet and that is important to us.

We took the public bus and had a great conversation with two women on their way to work. We have found the Antiguan people extremely friendly and nice!

Also, if you like curry, you HAVE to go to Roti King in town (they open at 9:30 so you can get some to take to the beach with you). We found that all we had to do to get there was ask people - everyone seemed to be familiar with it.

Thanks Karen! I've seen that name before so I'll have to do some research. While I liked the beach we went too, it was crowded so I'm not sure if I would enjoy spending the whole day there. I really enjoyed Antigua and agree, everyone was very nice. We will have to check out that restaurant as well. Pete will be very excited to hear about your great find. :)

Is the 25 Year Martini ant different than the 20 year Martini 🍸?

Did the BTs at the Molecular bar give you any info what the replacement will be?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Is the 25 Year Martini ant different than the 20 year Martini 🍸?

Did the BTs at the Molecular bar give you any info what the replacement will be?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Yes, the 25th Anniversary and 20 year martini's are different. The 25th Anniversary martini is made with Grey Goose VX, muddled strawberries, Cointreau, lemon juice and a splash of champagne.

The bartenders at the Molecular bar did not tell us what the replacement will be. I suspect something similar, just with drinks that are created by the X bartenders. All that said I don't think the drinks the bartenders were coming up with that we tried were as complex as the ones they have now. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Celebrity Today - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015

Featured Today - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015

Shore Excursions #2

Port Shopping Map - St. Kitts

We woke up at 7:30 am when they called to say room service was on its way. Since we had an early start we thought we would have breakfast out on the balcony as we sailed into St. Kitts & Nevis. I couldn't help but take a few photos.

IMG_7729_zpswhf6qzzd.jpg

We saw the pilot boat come in drop off the harbor pilot.

IMG_7735_zpsjbhvxoem.jpg

Once we were finished with breakfast we got ready and headed down to the Passport bar to meet everyone. Today we were going to Nevis with Grey's Island Excursions. This was an excursion I organized through our roll call. There were sixteen of us total.

Look what ship just happened to be docked next to us in St. Kitts. It is one of the old X ships that was sold off to TUI cruises. In the photo further down you can still see where the X was on the funnel.

IMG_7743_zpsmuywdcdt.jpg

At 9 am we meet Thenford at the arrivals hall and from there it was just a short van ride to port where we would catch the ferry to Nevis. Once there we were given our ferry tickets and I was instructed with who we would be looking for once in Nevis. We ended up waiting for about 10 minutes for the ferry to arrive, but it wasn't all bad since there was free Wi-Fi.

These are a few photos I took on the ferry ride over which took about 40 minutes.

IMG_7749_zpsebcluvel.jpg

IMG_7768_zps5masna6y.jpg

Nevis awaits...

IMG_7775_zpsgu3mmab6.jpg

Coming into the harbor in St. Kitts.

IMG_7780_zpseot6zdja.jpg

The main road by the port has flags from various nations.

IMG_7785_zpsyysi27fb.jpg

Once we were off the ferry we met our guide and were split up into two vans which worked out nicely since it gave us a little room to spread out. Our first stop of the day was the house where Alexander Hamilton was born. Inside the house there was a museum but we did not go inside.

IMG_7790_zpsrj7bdbks.jpg

IMG_7791_zpspxidgwyw.jpg

IMG_7797_zpsc96yo5cx.jpg

IMG_7804_zpsquca7jgk.jpg

Edited by prim8keeper