Independent overnight trip off a Princess ship

sawtooth

We will sail the Diamond next year.

We are planning a 2 night overland trip off the ship. We will disembark at the port for Bangkok and re board 2 days later at the port for Ho Chi Minh

I have seen that Princess does this tour (includes a trip to Angkor Wat) but we will use an independent company that we have used before to travel in Asia.

Do we need to make special arrangements with Princess, acquire our own visas, etc.

Any advice, information, experience with this would be appreciated.

You must get permission from Princess in writing. I did this on a different line and after permission is granted they will give you everything you need including your passport back and visa if it's required. We needed a new room key when we returned.

We are planning a 2 night overland trip off the ship. We will disembark at the port for Bangkok and re board 2 days later at the port for Ho Chi Minh

I have seen that Princess does this tour (includes a trip to Angkor Wat) but we will use an independent company that we have used before to travel in Asia.

Do we need to ..... acquire our own visas, etc.

I did this on a different line and after permission is granted they will give you everything you need including your passport back and visa if it's required.

Since you are not entering Viet Nam from the cruise ship, Princess will not be responsible for getting your Viet Nam visa which is usually done when the ship arrives in Viet Nam. You will probably need to get the Viet Nam Visa on your own unless your independent touring company is arranging for it.

You will also be responsible for the visa for Cambodia which is usually available when entering Cambodia by air with no advance application.

Your independent touring company should be able to answer your visa questions.

I do not know your ship's itinerary, but a visit to Angkor Wat in two days that also includes travel on both days shortchanges the experience. We visited Angkor Wat on our own with an independent guide spending two full days there before the start of our Princess cruise. If your itinerary would allow a convenient visit before or after the cruise, you will not regret doing that.

By the way, since Princess normally gets the Viet Nam visa upon ship's entry into Viet Nam and charges every passenger for it, you may need to make sure you are not charged on board by Princess for a visa they do not get for you.

Edited by caribill

You need to arrange this in advance of your cruise. I did it from Thailand and reboarded in Cambodia. I cannot speak to a Viet Nam visa.

They never explained about the new cabin key. My guess was they sealed the room so to speak when the card showed we disembarked but never came back from our Thailand port.

• 1 month later...

Hi

We are interested in doing something similar on our cruise in December on Sapphire Princess. We would get off in Ho Chi Minh, do Angkor Wat and rejoin the ship in Bangkok.

Can you provide information regarding the tour company that you have used?

Thanks!!

You will need to get approval in advance. Princess will work with Thailand and Vietnam to arrange for you to get off and back on. You will need to get a visa for Cambodia and probably Vietnam. For Vietnam, normally Princess get the visa, but you will not be arriving in Vietnam with the ship.

Hi

We are interested in doing something similar on our cruise in December on Sapphire Princess. We would get off in Ho Chi Minh, do Angkor Wat and rejoin the ship in Bangkok.

Can you provide information regarding the tour company that you have used?

Thanks!!

Did you join your roll call for your cruise?