Help with itinerary - 1st time Oceania, 1st time Europe

cruiseintoheaven

Hello,

My husband and I are looking at our first European cruise in the fall of 2016. We are looking at a few different itineraries, all 3 in an Oceania suite on the Riviera or Marina. All 3 are 7 day voyages that we would likely add a bit of land time onto, either before or after.

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts on which would be a best first cruise - obviously this is a subjective topic.

We are late 40's/late 50's...no real mobility issues, though we tend to go into laid back mode when on vacation. Though we don't dislike group tours, we prefer to do our own thing. If that info helps at all, which of the following would you suggest for a first time hop across the pond?

Rome to Monte Carlo - stops in Naples, Palermo, La Goulette, Provence, & Barcelona

Barcelona to Rome - stops in Palma de Mallorca, Sete, Monte Carlo, Portifino, La Spezia & Livorno

Rome to Venice - stops in Naples, Catania, Argostoli, Kotor, Zadar & Koper.

All three range from 10/15-11/2 - so I'm assuming that the crowds and heat would be lessoned, which is a plus (?)

Any advice or thoughts welcome....Lynn

Sailing into Venice is unforgettable so that's the one I'd choose if I'd never been before. It includes Kotor which is spectacular.

Rome to Venice is also the most southerly of the three routes. In October/November in Europe the heat will definitely be lessoned - in fact it might have disappeared! The further south you are the warmer it's likely to be.

Barcelona to Rome would be my second choice as it has some very attractive ports.

Does it positively HAVE to be a 7 day cruise?

I'm a HUGE proponent of the big Suites, but on a 7 day port intensive European itinerary you simply aren't going to get enough bang from your buck out of that Oceania Suite, although they ARE HEAVEN!

b_135906.jpg

If push came to shove, I'd far recommend a 12 or 14 day cruise in a Penthouse, over the shorter cruise in an Oceania Suite.

b_190714.jpg

I was in the midst of writing an answer when my computer had a melt-down so I had to reboot.

I agree with Jim that it's a shame to only have a 7 day cruise BUT you are younger than many of the rest of us, so I assume you may have a max of two weeks vacation from your job and you indicated that you are considering pre- and maybe post-cruise visits (which I also advocate). When time is limited, then time is limited!

Personally, I would like any one of these itineraries. I love Provence but more for a land trip, so I'm not sure about how much you could see on a day trip.

I might have a preference for Rome to Venice but that's probably because while we've tried to cruise in this area, we haven't yet done so. We DID to a self-drive trip from Pula (Yugoslavia) down to Dubrovnik in 1977 and that was wonderful, so we'd love to see these ports.

I don't think you can miss ... And as Jim says the Oceania Suite is heaven.

Since you like to do your own thing, and you haven't been to Europe before, do you speak some Italian or French? Or German? That could help -- and I don't mean you should be fluent in either language, but it helps to be able to communicate. Many Europeans speak at least some English but I have found several times in major European cities that they didn't want to speak English.

(On some occasions that could have been because I started out in their language and they were willing to let me struggle in their language as opposed to THEIR struggling in MY language.)

Re the Rome-Venice cruise -- when we did our drive down from Pula to Dubrovnik we were speaking Italian in Pula and then had to switch to German. We were largely staying in private homes that had added guest rooms, so we needed to speak their language. That wouldn't be the case if you are in a good hotel ... or perhaps on a cruise!

I know, I may have added a complication! But in some of these ports some smattering of the local language could be helpful if you are going around on your own.

Have a great first cruise and European trip!

Mura

It would be SO HARD to leave both the Med and Oceania after 7 days!

Our first cruise ever was on Oceania for 14 days in a PH, from Venice to Barcelona

Next is 38 days, as we still didn't want to get off after 24 days!

Criteria for my first cruise was that Portofino be on the itinerary. It seems you also get Cinque Terre if you want, somewhere I STILL need to get to. Sete was nothing special, though.

And Venice is amazing! As is Barcelona. And after 3 times in Provence, I'd still go back. And St. Paul de Vence(near Monte Carlo) is magical.

So you have a tough decision among those 3 cruises!

We have done the Med in Oct, and started a TA from Rome in November. It was spring jacket weather in Nov. Sometimes in Oct, you could take the jacket off.

Edited by tropicalkerry2002

All 3 are very good itineraries.

Couple of things to consider:

As you are adding on to your cruise, which 2 cities (starting point/ending point) are places that you want to explore most before and/or after the cruise? It is best to arrive a few before and stay a few days after your cruise.

Which places on the itineraries would be more difficult for you to do on land - you should then do those on the cruise.

I know you will love the Oceania suite and I hope the cruise line as well.

Happy choices to make :)

Wow, thanks so much for all the quick replies and advice - you've given me a lot to consider.

I think I've ruled out the first option - Rome to Monte Carlo, and narrowed it down to either Barcelona to Rome or Rome to Venice.

While I'm Italian, the only words I know are either curse words or hand gestures. Pity as our son is fluent in 4 languages - maybe he can give his folks a quick course!

I absolutely get the point about the Oceania Suite going largely unused on a 7 day voyage....but, honestly after 27 years of marriage, we know what works, and two bathrooms and a little space works for both of us - not to be misinterpreted, we are best friends. And we do intend to add a few days before and/or after. So, it's less about money and more about, as mentioned, time off. Husband is still working, and while he has 5 weeks off, we have some other plans with adult kids, etc. Have to say the idea of a longer voyage may have me rethinking some of those plans....

Thanks again, Lynn

All 3 are very good itineraries.

Couple of things to consider:

As you are adding on to your cruise, which 2 cities (starting point/ending point) are places that you want to explore most before and/or after the cruise? It is best to arrive a few before and stay a few days after your cruise.

Which places on the itineraries would be more difficult for you to do on land - you should then do those on the cruise.

I know you will love the Oceania suite and I hope the cruise line as well.

Happy choices to make :)

I have definitely given that a lot of thought.....for me it would be Barcelona and Venice, for hubby, guessing Rome and Venice. Can't get all three (at least as planned) so another thing to consider.....thanks for the reply!

My personal preference would be Barcelona to Rome, for a couple reasons. First of all, I LOVE Barcelona, and actually prefer it over Venice. If you're going to stay in a city pre- or post-cruise, and I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Barcelona.

(Although I may be in the minority on this. But the last couple of times I was in Venice it turned me off...it just seemed like such a tourist trap city these days with no purpose for its current existence other two draw in tourist dollars, whereas Barcelona is a vital European city that, while beautiful and fascinating for tourists, is not only about tourism...not sure I articulated that very well, but that's the best I can do to explain why I prefer Barcelona. Plus the food in Venice ain't so great, whereas in Barcelona you got Tapas & Sangria! :D)

Also, the Barcelona to Rome itinerary includes La Spezia, which will get you to the Cinque Terre, which is one of my favorite places on earth! In fact my Last Will & Testament actually dictates that when I die, my ashes are to be tossed off the cliffs of the Via Del'Amore in the Cinque Terre. (My husband keeps telling me he's just gonna toss them off the pier in Port Hueneme if I don't behave! LOL)

Portofino is gorgeous, and Livorno will get you to Florence...having never been to Europe, Florence is kind of a must-see.

So there's my input. Either way you can't go wrong. :)

My personal preference would be Barcelona to Rome, for a couple reasons. First of all, I LOVE Barcelona, and actually prefer it over Venice. If you're going to stay in a city pre- or post-cruise, and I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Barcelona.

(Although I may be in the minority on this. But the last couple of times I was in Venice it turned me off...it just seemed like such a tourist trap city these days with no purpose for its current existence other two draw in tourist dollars, whereas Barcelona is a vital European city that, while beautiful and fascinating for tourists, is not only about tourism...not sure I articulated that very well, but that's the best I can do to explain why I prefer Barcelona. Plus the food in Venice ain't so great, whereas in Barcelona you got Tapas & Sangria! :D)

Also, the Barcelona to Rome itinerary includes La Spezia, which will get you to the Cinque Terre, which is one of my favorite places on earth! In fact my Last Will & Testament actually dictates that when I die, my ashes are to be tossed off the cliffs of the Via Del'Amore in the Cinque Terre. (My husband keeps telling me he's just gonna toss them off the pier in Port Hueneme if I don't behave! LOL)

Portofino is gorgeous, and Livorno will get you to Florence...having never been to Europe, Florence is kind of a must-see.

So there's my input. Either way you can't go wrong. :)

LeeAnne - thanks for sharing your perspective - it's good to hear what others think that have actually "been there, done that." And, I've heard great things about Barcelona as you mention. I kind of have the same (mild) concern about Rome that you mentioned about Venice - I understand the cultural and historical significance of Rome, but mentally I have it pegged as perhaps a bit heavy on touristy vs. just plain enjoyable....not sure I articulated that well. In any case, I'm hopeful that we can see all of these over time. These are the fun kind of dilemmas to have in life! Thanks again, Lynn

Barcelona to Rome. Please just do one day pre-cruise in Bacelona (besides the one you arrive) and you need at LEAST 4 days in Rome. It is so sad to miss Venice, but you will have Palma de Mallorca which is so charming and La Spetzia. Do it. Try to do a few on either end. Good time of the year.

LeeAnne - thanks for sharing your perspective - it's good to hear what others think that have actually "been there, done that." And, I've heard great things about Barcelona as you mention. I kind of have the same (mild) concern about Rome that you mentioned about Venice - I understand the cultural and historical significance of Rome, but mentally I have it pegged as perhaps a bit heavy on touristy vs. just plain enjoyable....not sure I articulated that well. In any case, I'm hopeful that we can see all of these over time. These are the fun kind of dilemmas to have in life! Thanks again, Lynn

Rome vs Venice re toursim: not the same situation at all. I know what you mean about having a hard time articulating this, but I'll do my best! Rome is a vital European city that is the capital of Italy, contains the Vatican within it which is the heartbeat of one of the largest (and wealthiest) religious organizations in the world, and is filled with rich history. Yes it can get choked with tourists - don't even bother going to the Spanish Steps on any summer weekend, you won't even see a single step through the shoulder-to-shoulder crowds! But in October it won't be NEARLY so bad. And Rome itself...oh there's just so much to see and do! And the FOOD! Some of the best meals I've ever had in my life were in tiny trattorias down hidden alleyways that tourists rarely see, filled with local families having their evening meals.

Venice-- well, it just doesn't seem to have a reason for its existence anymore EXCEPT for tourism. The restaurants are strictly for tourists. The cafes are strictly for tourists. And everything costs an arm and a leg...there's a cover charge just to SIT in a cafe in Piazza San Marco, and to get a cup of espresso you have to sell your first born. It just felt to me like everyone had their hand out, or in my pocket. Don't get me wrong, it's spectacularly beautiful...but it's also crumbling and fading, and nothing is REAL anymore, it's all just shored up for the tourists to see.

I'm probably offending the hell out of all the people who love Venice. So let me say this is just MY perception, and maybe I just got turned off by all the money-grabbiness I saw there. It felt like Vegas to me, only with older stuff.

And these are just nuances. Certainly Rome has its touristy-ness...but it's not ALL ABOUT tourism. It has an existence, a purpose, industry and a population NOT centered around tourism.

There, that's the best I could do. :p

And yes...how fortunate we are to even be able to make these decisions. Personally I don't know what I enjoy more...the whole research/decision/more research process BEFORE my cruise, or the cruise itself!

LeeAnne,

I think you did a really nice job of describing the distinction between Rome and Venice in terms of tourism and cultural relevance, etc. for a first-time visitor - thank you! My husband would argue that Venice has a very important role, chiefly as the background to the Bourne Supremacy movies, but that's another topic. All kidding aside, Venice looks breathtakingly stunning, I absolutely want to see it eventually, but I'm leaning towards the Barcelona to Rome route.

Also, I got a chuckle out of your comment about the planning/researching being almost as much fun as the actual trip. That is me....I'm always planning the next one....husband often teases me about becoming a TA.....boy would that take the fun out of it.

Carol - absolutely plan to spend some time before and after...promise.

Hi Lynn,

October is an awesome month to go to Italy, weather is good (light jacket at night) plus it's porcini mushroom and truffle season there :) I've spent a good amount of time in Italy and have also sailed from Rome to Amsterdam, and it was beautiful. Since it's your first time, I think the Barcelona to Rome is a great sampler.

You know you can always take the train to Venice once you disembark, there is a four hour almost nonstop train from Rome Termini (main station) right into Venice, goes through Florence and Bologna, I think. Sure it's touristy, but Venice is beautiful, full of history and for me, being on the water makes it magical. Having Italian heritage and coming to Italy gave me such a good feeling...the first time I walked around Rome I was grinning like a fool :D and you know what? They all smiled back :)

Have a great time!

Elizabeth

Sent from Samsung tablet

I was in the midst of writing an answer when my computer had a melt-down so I had to reboot.

I agree with Jim that it's a shame to only have a 7 day cruise BUT you are younger than many of the rest of us, so I assume you may have a max of two weeks vacation from your job and you indicated that you are considering pre- and maybe post-cruise visits (which I also advocate). When time is limited, then time is limited!

Personally, I would like any one of these itineraries. I love Provence but more for a land trip, so I'm not sure about how much you could see on a day trip.

I might have a preference for Rome to Venice but that's probably because while we've tried to cruise in this area, we haven't yet done so. We DID to a self-drive trip from Pula (Yugoslavia) down to Dubrovnik in 1977 and that was wonderful, so we'd love to see these ports.

I don't think you can miss ... And as Jim says the Oceania Suite is heaven.

Since you like to do your own thing, and you haven't been to Europe before, do you speak some Italian or French? Or German? That could help -- and I don't mean you should be fluent in either language, but it helps to be able to communicate. Many Europeans speak at least some English but I have found several times in major European cities that they didn't want to speak English.

(On some occasions that could have been because I started out in their language and they were willing to let me struggle in their language as opposed to THEIR struggling in MY language.)

Re the Rome-Venice cruise -- when we did our drive down from Pula to Dubrovnik we were speaking Italian in Pula and then had to switch to German. We were largely staying in private homes that had added guest rooms, so we needed to speak their language. That wouldn't be the case if you are in a good hotel ... or perhaps on a cruise!

I know, I may have added a complication! But in some of these ports some smattering of the local language could be helpful if you are going around on your own.

Have a great first cruise and European trip!

Mura

Mura,

It sounds like you have had some wonderful travels. I admire your sense of adventure. I'm a bit more cautious - part of the reason I like cruising is the sense of "home base" while traveling (amongst many other reasons).

Thanks for the advice regarding the need for at least rudimentary language skills. I've got a list going of things to consider and that will be added. I'm leaning towards the Barcelona to Rome route at this point....though all these wonderful replies have me trying to figure out how to turn this into a longer voyage....

Thanks again, Lynn

Does it positively HAVE to be a 7 day cruise?

I'm a HUGE proponent of the big Suites, but on a 7 day port intensive European itinerary you simply aren't going to get enough bang from your buck out of that Oceania Suite, although they ARE HEAVEN!

b_135906.jpg

If push came to shove, I'd far recommend a 12 or 14 day cruise in a Penthouse, over the shorter cruise in an Oceania Suite.

b_190714.jpg

Stan and Jim, forgot to thank you for the diagram and picture.....looks fantastic. I know 7 days seems too short....I've dedicated one full lobe of my brain to figuring out how to stretch it into 10, 12, 14 days....thanks again, Lynn

Lyn,

Barcelona is a fabulous city (just be sure to be on the alert for pickpockets!). It was my mother's favorite European city and we love it as well. You can't go wrong with a few days there.

We're not all that adventurous, but we did start our European travels when we were in our 30s, and road trips were common before we started cruising.

Language skills help, but just knowing a few phrases also will make friends.

I would only disagree with the earlier comment about 1 day in Barcelona and more in Rome. I'd split the days equally ... there is too much to see in Barcelona to only allow one day!

But you can't go wrong with spending time in either one ...

Mura

Edited by Mura

Hi Lynn,

October is an awesome month to go to Italy, weather is good (light jacket at night) plus it's porcini mushroom and truffle season there :) I've spent a good amount of time in Italy and have also sailed from Rome to Amsterdam, and it was beautiful. Since it's your first time, I think the Barcelona to Rome is a great sampler.

You know you can always take the train to Venice once you disembark, there is a four hour almost nonstop train from Rome Termini (main station) right into Venice, goes through Florence and Bologna, I think. Sure it's touristy, but Venice is beautiful, full of history and for me, being on the water makes it magical. Having Italian heritage and coming to Italy gave me such a good feeling...the first time I walked around Rome I was grinning like a fool :D and you know what? They all smiled back :)

Have a great time!

Elizabeth

Sent from Samsung tablet

Hi Elizabeth....thanks for the advice, especially about the train from Rome to Venice...so much to look into and forward to. It sounds like you really enjoyed Venice - the water is what definitely fascinates me. You mentioned your Italian heritage and how fun it was to visit Italy - my grandmother's name was Epifania Notartamiso Canestraro....we named our dog after her, figured that was too much for a kid. Thanks again, Lynn

Barcelona to Rome. Please just do one day pre-cruise in Bacelona (besides the one you arrive) and you need at LEAST 4 days in Rome. It is so sad to miss Venice, but you will have Palma de Mallorca which is so charming and La Spetzia. Do it. Try to do a few on either end. Good time of the year.

Ditto with Caroldoll.. Barcelona to Rome.You will love Europe and save Venice for another time and combine it with Croatia.

My husband would argue that Venice has a very important role, chiefly as the background to the Bourne Supremacy movies, but that's another topic.

LOL! He does have a point! And one cannot forget the amazing site of an entire BUILDING in Venice sinking into the sea in Quantum of Solace... ;)

Hi Lynn,

October is an awesome month to go to Italy, weather is good (light jacket at night) plus it's porcini mushroom and truffle season there :)

That right there is an outstanding reason to go to Italy in the Fall! Ah...real truffles...so hard to get over here...

Hi Elizabeth....thanks for the advice, especially about the train from Rome to Venice...so much to look into and forward to. It sounds like you really enjoyed Venice - the water is what definitely fascinates me. You mentioned your Italian heritage and how fun it was to visit Italy - my grandmother's name was Epifania Notartamiso Canestraro....we named our dog after her, figured that was too much for a kid. Thanks again, Lynn

I'm also of Italian heritage - maiden name Pantuso. Many years ago my sister and I traveled to the tiny town in Calabria from which our great-grandparents emigrated during WWI, and we met SO many relatives, and saw family baptismal records dating all the way back to the 16th century. No tourists ever visit this town - it's not along any tourist paths - and it seemed like a third of the town turned out to be related to us in some way. The whole town seemed to make a holiday of our visit - I swear they practically held a ticker tape parade for us! We were there for four days, and had to spend each night at a different relative's home...every day they took us around to visit families who wanted to meet us and look at our multi-generational family tree chart to figure out where they fit in on it...we had to eat a meal at every one one of these houses too! It was one of the most magical experiences of my life. And the most fattening. :p

my grandmother's name was Epifania Notartamiso Canestraro....we named our dog after her, figured that was too much for a kid.

I love that - you can see our black lab Pepper by "his" pool in my Avatar.

Which one of the 3 names did you use (or did you use all 3)? :D

Edited by Paulchili

LeeAnne - what a fascinating story - that would be so interesting....can't even imagine. My dad was the youngest of 15 (yes, Roman Catholic) so I know somewhere in Italy I have a litter of relatives. I wonder if you've kept in touch with your family? It sounds like they really enjoyed having and hosting you.

Paul - We named our bichon frise (or bitchin frizzy as our kids called her) Epifania, or Eppy for short, which was how my grandmother was known as well. She's 14 now, and still going strong....plus she's in charge of the cats - Jaxx, Jinx and Maxx. Looks like Pepper enjoys a good time from the pic in your avatar....

and we did go to Venice on that trip. I agree...it is sooo expensive. It is now 6 Euros EACH to sit at the Café in the square, but soo romantic. We didn't buy anything in the shops as they are screamingly expensive. We did have ice cream in the square, and besides the 6 Euros each to sit there, I think one ice cream was 12 Euros...but romantic.

At the end of our trip we spent 4 nights at The Hassler which is at the top of the Spanish Steps. There are a LOT...I think 40...quite a hike, but we did it at least twice a day as there are little cafes there...down the side streets. Our favorite for years is Gigi's. It is really little and the food is out of this world.

WATCH EVERYWHERE...The scam artists and pick pockets are rampant. My husband is very, very tall...very, and still we were "jumped" by 5 well dressed gentlemen on Las Ramblas in Barcelona. When you are anywhere..no jewelry...put your money somewhere other than a purse and dress down. This includes Venice, Rome and Barcelona. That aside...everything is worth it. Europe may not always be what it is now.

We are going back one more time in October/November of this year if all stays quiet. Looking forward to it for the last time. My husband likes to dance in the square in Venice at midnight! He has watched too many movies!

While I'm Italian, the only words I know are either curse words or hand gestures. Pity as our son is fluent in 4 languages - maybe he can give his folks a quick course!

If you can say "hello," "goodbye", "please," and "thank you" in the local language, you'll be amazed at how well you can get along.

Remember that Europeans are somewhat more formal than Americans, so adopt the local custom of saying "hello" and "goodbye" when entering a shop. (Sadly, shop workers in major tourist destinations are somewhat used to Americans who don't know to do this, but you'll find you get better service with store clerks trying harder to bridge the language gap and help you if you adopt the local customs.)

and we did go to Venice on that trip. I agree...it is sooo expensive. It is now 6 Euros EACH to sit at the Café in the square, but soo romantic. We didn't buy anything in the shops as they are screamingly expensive. We did have ice cream in the square, and besides the 6 Euros each to sit there, I think one ice cream was 12 Euros...but romantic.

At the end of our trip we spent 4 nights at The Hassler which is at the top of the Spanish Steps. There are a LOT...I think 40...quite a hike, but we did it at least twice a day as there are little cafes there...down the side streets. Our favorite for years is Gigi's. It is really little and the food is out of this world.

WATCH EVERYWHERE...The scam artists and pick pockets are rampant. My husband is very, very tall...very, and still we were "jumped" by 5 well dressed gentlemen on Las Ramblas in Barcelona. When you are anywhere..no jewelry...put your money somewhere other than a purse and dress down. This includes Venice, Rome and Barcelona. That aside...everything is worth it. Europe may not always be what it is now.

We are going back one more time in October/November of this year if all stays quiet. Looking forward to it for the last time. My husband likes to dance in the square in Venice at midnight! He has watched too many movies!

That's quite a lovely image - definitely want to get to Venice at some point. Your advice about pick-pocketing, etc is a bit concerning. I'll have to look into that more - can't imagine having to remove my wedding ring or not wear earrings....but I defer to to hose that have been in that regard. Also, your caution reminded me - several years ago our son was studying abroad in Argentina. He fell asleep on a train or bus - when he woke up, his camera and a few other items had taken a walk. Live and learn....