cruise suggestions for family with teens/young adults

pjamms

Looking for opinions for a family cruise from those that have travelled with their older children. I had all but booked a cruise for September to Western Caribbean with Royal Caribbean after deciding between Caribbean, Mexico and Hawaii when my husband threw a spanner in the works and said he would rather a Canada vacation with an Alaska cruise rather than a New York vacation with a cruise to one of the above mentioned. We have never cruised or been to any of these destinations but as my kids are sun loving beach going types with a love for being busy I thought the Royal Caribbean with flow rider and ice skating would be ideal to occupy the kids 16,19 and 21 ( too old for kids club too young for bars so a difficult age) and the Caribbean for water sports would suit them. I'm really looking for suggestions from those who have travelled with this age group children what ships and destinations you would recommend. I will be happy just getting a break but as it's likely to be our last family holiday I want the kids to enjoy it. Also not a lot of choice for September around 13th to 20th departures a bit off season.

Looking for opinions for a family cruise from those that have travelled with their older children. I had all but booked a cruise for September to Western Caribbean with Royal Caribbean after deciding between Caribbean, Mexico and Hawaii when my husband threw a spanner in the works and said he would rather a Canada vacation with an Alaska cruise rather than a New York vacation with a cruise to one of the above mentioned. We have never cruised or been to any of these destinations but as my kids are sun loving beach going types with a love for being busy I thought the Royal Caribbean with flow rider and ice skating would be ideal to occupy the kids 16,19 and 21 ( too old for kids club too young for bars so a difficult age) and the Caribbean for water sports would suit them. I'm really looking for suggestions from those who have travelled with this age group children what ships and destinations you would recommend. I will be happy just getting a break but as it's likely to be our last family holiday I want the kids to enjoy it. Also not a lot of choice for September around 13th to 20th departures a bit off season.

Seems you've answered your own question.

Definitely Royal Caribbean! A cruise to the Caribbean would be ideal. Numerous activities to keep everyone busy - not to mention great shows. Suggest Oasis Class, Freedom Class or Voyager Class ships - would not go anything smaller in terms of activities for the family.

Also, assuming you know that although your "kids" "young adults" cannot drink on board (other than the 21-year-old) they can enjoy the bars, entertainment, dancing, etc. You mentioned they wouldn't be in the bars. I believe the youngest would have a 1:00 a.m. curfew, and some nightclubs are limited to over 21, but the regular bars/entertainment are open to all ages. You don't have to be drinking alcohol to enjoy.

Edited by PMcC1998
clarification

Thank you everyone for the advice now to get hubby to read it :). Another question if you don't mind. The ship I'm looking at is freedom of the seas and I'm thinking an ocenview room but not sure if there is much difference in which deck to be on and would 3 in a room be a squeeze. Thank you all again.

Just spend the week on Maui and be done with it. Snorkeling, surfing lessons, Road to Hana, zipline, hiking, biking, luau, endless beaches, Old Lahaina, Molokini, etc.

I've been on Caribbean and Hawaii cruises. My foremost thought was: time on the ship = less time on the beach. And if you need to get to another Island, there are ways to do that other than a cruise ship. Anyway, just something to think about.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for the advice now to get hubby to read it :). Another question if you don't mind. The ship I'm looking at is freedom of the seas and I'm thinking an ocenview room but not sure if there is much difference in which deck to be on and would 3 in a room be a squeeze. Thank you all again.

We've not been on F of S, but have done 3 in a similar size room, just ours was a balcony. That was 5 nights I think anything longer would have been a bit much. But you said children earlier so f you mean three kids [teens] that's probably fine, we just found Mum dad and 20's daughter was lacking a bit in the private times.

Regarding three in a room - are you talking about the kids? It is definitely doable - lots of people will say no way, but it can be done! Did it many years ago with four of us when our kids were teens!

Assuming you are meaning the kids - are they all the same sex? Three boys would be much easier than three girls; bathroom is small! Regardless, it is possible to shower at the gym and free up the bathroom for someone else.

Personally think pullman beds are more comfortable than sleeper sofa - assuming two of them would use the twin beds. If you can get a cabin with a pullman it takes up much less space.

Oceanview is just that - a port hole type window - not a lot different than inside cabin. Balcony definitely gives more space - just somewhere to go and sit.

As far as what deck - take a look at the ship's plan - where do you think you will be spending most of your time? If you don't mind walking it doesn't really make a lot of difference. Usually not a good idea to get a cabin close to a nightclub/bar - can possibly hear music at night. Some people say the same about being under the pool deck - scraping chairs as the decks are being organized, cleaned, etc. From a noise standpoint it is usually good to be between two passenger decks. Some people say there is more stabillity on the lower decks, but have never felt motion to be a big problem; again, a lot of personal preferences.

The kids are 21yo boy and 19 and 16yo girls. I was thinking an oceanview in case the inside feels too claustrophobic and thought it might be better if we feel seasick. I had looked at a balcony room but is it worth the price difference?

The kids are 21yo boy and 19 and 16yo girls. I was thinking an oceanview in case the inside feels too claustrophobic and thought it might be better if we feel seasick. I had looked at a balcony room but is it worth the price difference?

You know your kids my kds would have been fine in a cabin at 19 boy and 16 girl. Many wouldn't.

For me a balcony is always worth it, for kids probably not, they aren't interested in quiet time on the balcony with a spouse watching the moon on the water they're more likely to be hanging with friends.

How will your kids get on f there aren't many others their age on the ship, again mine would be fine, they are good friends and happy to hang together [or were at that age].

I think only you can answer that question!

Having done both, would not go back to an oceanview or an inside, just like the idea of actual fresh air and being able to step outside. A balcony definitely adds a few feet to a room.

Never had a problem with motion sickness and that included a very rough Bay of Biscay crossing. Today's ships are very stable, especially the big ones. Unless you have experienced motion sickness on a previous ship, I think that is hard to call.

As far as your kids go, my kids grew up being used to the Y, locker rooms, sharing college dorm room, etc. they had no problem sharing a room, even with their parents! As someone else said, only you know your kids!

Whatever you decide, have a good cruise!

My 20 and 18 yr old of different genders we're fine in a room together, and at one point we had planned another 20 yr old who couldn't make it. Your three will be fine in a room together. I recommend you find them one adjacent to yours if at all possible. If your son doesn't want to wait on the girls, he can go shower and change at the gym. Mine would do that no problem.

I pay the extra for the balcony, then have the steward open the dividers between the rooms. Makes for space to veg out when things etc close. My DS used the balcony to get away from sis when needed.

We did a 7 day out of Houston on RCI with our 28 yr old son and 22 yr old daughter.. they loved it. FlowRider was wonderful, rock climbing, mini golf..they went cave tubbing, zip lining, beach time, snorkeling etc at the ports. They shared a room, all beds can be separated into two twins.. so with three they would each have their own bed and space. I think they will really enjoy it. Alaska is more older folks, more scenery and much less active. For a first time the Caribbean will be a great family memory. You can do separate activities,meet up for dinner and maybe a show...I would also recommend a balcony, it is so nice to have the private space for some quiet time, not necessary probably for the "kids" and at that age you certainly don't need to be in the same area of the ship either. Another recommendation.. is splurge a bit for flow rider lessons early on, they will get so much more out of that and we found it to be the best money we spent on the ship. Enjoy and make great family memories...those opportunities get to be fewer and farther between very quickly.

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I have only been inside a cabin on the P & O pearl and the cabins are so small, not that we plan on being in them much but there wasn't a lot of room to even pass each other.

Why the recommendation for Hawaii in September. I'm not finding a great range for our dates anywhere at this time but Hawaii was a consideration just like your thoughts on why it would be good then

Thanks all :)

Which cruise line would you all recommend for a 19-year-old male? Seems like Carnival didn't have plans for older kids when my oldest went. Royal had more for that age than they did for younger teens. Norwegian seems to have the best deals - has anyone taken young adults on NCL?