Scenic or Uniworld for Rhine River cruise?

sunsetbeachgal

We are three couples, all first time river cruisers doing a Rhine River cruise (either Amsterdam to Basel or reverse) in 2016. We have narrowed our choices down to Scenic or Uniworld.

Has anyone cruised both lines who may be able to give me some insight? They both appear to be all inclusive and offer a variety of included excursions, as we have some couples who are looking for more active excursions.

Thank you!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I have not cruised with Uniworld but did the Rhine on a Scenic cruise a couple of years ago and have another Scenic cruise (France) planned for this September. I can highly recommend Scenic, it was absolutely all inclusive (including tips for the shore tour guides); first time I've walked off a cruise ship without having to give my credit care a work out!

I have not read any negative comments about Uniworld so I think you would be fine with either choice. Remember you are not "tied" to taking the shore tours provided, you can go off on your own - just don't miss the ship departure :-)

Edited by cruiseryyc

would say Scenic is more 5 star as Uniworld 4. Love many things about Scenic, such as the balcony(that can close in rain),tubs in suites,butler,room service,airport pk.up even if not on cruise air,etc. Do look at all the difference,itinerary,dates,etc. Lots to consider here.Budget being one.Get both brochures and read all details very carefully to see which right for you.

Agree with above,paid nada on leaving last Scenic cruise.oh, forgot food is best I ve had on a riverboat.

You will find very few people that have been on multiple cruise lines for river cruises. You will be happy with either Uniworld or Scenic... although my experience has only been Uniworld.

This fall will be our first experience with Uniworld's all-inclusive pricing, but even without the all-inclusive it was our first (and only) choice once we decided on a cruise line.

The food and staff are superior. There are different options on cabin pricing, but the only real difference in size is suites vs. non-suites. The cabins are small, but well-designed. The rooms have king-size beds (actually 2 twins put together) and the bedding is wonderful. The bathrooms are tiny, but functional.

Uniworld also includes transfers from the airport for your arriving and departing flights -- but if you arrive early they do not include transfers from other locations.

You really can't go wrong. Pick the date and price that works best for your group travelers and you'll have a wonderful time regardless of the cruise line.

Agree with above review that you won't be disappointed with Uniworld--our two cruises (Rhine & Rhone) last year were fantastic! Top marks in all categories. If you can wait for a bit more comparative comments, we are taking our first cruise with Scenic on Danube this August. Be happy to provide my 2cents worth.

Another vote for Uniworld. Took this cruise on the SS Antoinette last July. I do believe that Uniworld is actually a 5 star. The food is tremendous. It is all inclusive. Should you choose a suite you will have butler service. The suites and other cabins on top floor do have a walk out balcony with the window at a switch to enclose for all weather use. The Anotinette also has an indoor pool where the back window of the area can be opened open air. The pool has jets to swim against the current. We really enjoyed the pool. There are bikes on board to use both in "your choice" tours or just check out on you own when in port. We used them probably 4 of the 7 days. They offer active tours and gentle walking tours. Was a fabulous trip. Scenic looks like a wonderful line as well. Their ships appear more contemporary where Uniworld is more French provencial. They market themselves as a boutique ship and it really had that feel. Don't think you can go wrong either way.

Have travelled both (Uniworld x 3, Scenic x 2) and would happily travel on either again.

I would suggest looking closely at itinerary - and using the subtle differences to decide.

Both have bikes (although Scenic's are power assist, so may help for hills....). Both include transfers on day of arrival and departure. Both are now "all inclusive".

Can't speak to the balcony (french or proper) as we usually travel aquarium class and therefore get a fixed window. Every cabin on Scenic has a "butler" - with level of support dependent on your category cabin. We really didn't use "our" butler, but the service was there if we wanted.

Have fun planning!!

Fran

Edited by franski

sunsetbeachgal,

You will love Scenic, we went from Amsterdam to Budapest in 2013 and it was one of the best ship experiences we have had. The cabins were very luxurious the food good to great and the staff exceptional. Loved the all weather balconies too. We didn't use the butler but he was there if needed. The all inclusive part was fantastic, not a thing to pay when we left the ship.

Cheers

We decided on Scenic...and surprisingly availability for June, 2016 was already limited. But we got exactly what each couple wanted, and now can get on with the planning.

Thanks again for everone's help!

You won't be disappointed....

Glad everything worked out.

Fran

Yes, with all of the brochures, e-mails and last minute sales I get from river cruise lines, especially Viking, I assumed availability for 2016 was pretty good. But then I got an email from Scenic last week saying that 2016 was filling up fast, so we had our TA call for prices and it was so limited on our sailing (last cabin in one class) she held an option! I have never booked anything so far in advance!

On both of my Uniworld cruises I booked about a year and a half ahead. I think most people try to book early enough that they can get the early booking discount. Therefore booking early is very popular. Hope you have a great cruise!

Weird. On both of our Uniworld cruises we were able to book just a few months ahead - November/December bookings for the following March, and we were able to get our choice of cabin.

We were surprised both times, as we've always read that the boats fill up very early. It could be that the early season is less popular, or is Uniworld somehow less popular than some of the other lines? Whatever the reason, it works for us!

When I do a phantom booking online for our upcoming August 2015 cruise, it's still showing a lot of vacant cabins, which surprises me. Secretly I hope it stays that way so we might possibly get a free or inexpensive upgrade! I have a feeling it will be sold out by the time all is said and done, though, and we'll just make due with our aquarium cabin. Right now the aquariums are the only category that is sold out!

I've been getting lots of emails from Viking offering free airfare for May and June 2015 cruises, so I've been trying to talk my parents into going on one!

when I check all the discounts other lines also give. Do compare and figure everything into sales promos.

As said above,the bigger lines usually have more openings,more ships.

I prefer the jr.suites on Scenic and only 2 onboard,so must book way in advance to get date I want.Plus, early booking savings.Downside is cost of putting Hold and deposit NOT REFUNDABLE.Also, if you want cancel for any reason ins.,must pay in full at time of deposit. So can be expensive unless your re really SURE .Then Viking also makes you PAY IN FULL at deposit,or 90 days after,unless policy changed. Don t like either,prefer refundable deposit and not pay till 90 days BEFORE.

• 2 weeks later...

In July 2014, We booked or first ever cruise with Viking on board their new ocean liner, Viking Star, for a tour of several Scandinavian ports in July 2016. Had to take this later time as 2015 was totally booked and the ship hadn't even been launched yet! Seems like a good deal, except we had to pay in full at time of booking--no options. Two years in advance!!!

As for rivers, we totally enjoyed the beauty and luxury on board Uniworld's Antoinette (Rhine in 2014) and previously on their River Royale (Rhone 2013). Would love to travel with them again but are going to try out the new Scenic Jasper this summer for a Danube cruise.