Veendam problems?

Ineke

Just as with anything in life, your happiness and enjoyment will be based upon how you deal with the little things if and when they pop up. The Veendam was my second ship, and I only had the Oosterdam to compare her too. Despite some heat & A/C issues in our cabin, (for which we were very satisfied with their handling of the issue), we had a GREAT time, and I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again.

In my minimal experience, I think every ship has something to offer. I will always have a place in my heart for the O since she was my first experience cruising. I will always love my time on the Veendam as it was my first time in an S class, and I adored the smaller passenger count she offered. And I am sure to always love my time aboard the NA, as she is 'new & shiny' despite being a few years old now, (since both my other journeys obviously weren't so new). Now I just need to get my feet on an R class, and hopefully the new Pinnacle class after a couple of years when the hooplah settles down.

Hal is not a luxury line. I've paid far more than $100 for every cruise. So nice that everyone that sails on hal looks like they come from a trailer park. I thought I could be a snob but this floors me. Wow.

It must be have been so disappointing for Rotterdam to walk around their HAL cruise in a tux with tails 24/7, and there's the rest of the lowly pax in their cut offs and grungy ripped tank tops on formal night. I'm glad they had the sense to move on to the luxury cruise lines that are up to their exacting standards - LOL! :cool:

Lorie

Well I, for one, am excited for our upcoming Veendam cruise. Veendam is my first HAL ship, we sailed her to Alaska 2005... then again around South America in 2010.

this year, our son, daughter in law and children are joining us on the Veendam (their first HAL cruise, but many cruises under their belts) .... it is a make-up cruise for the family cruise we had to cancel during the winter (Caribbean) due to a death in their family.

Hopefully they enjoy and become the next generation of HAL cruisers!

Carol

is the opportunity to read varying opinions & facts. For those that truly know what luxury cruising is & was, todays HAL misses the mark completely- obviously pricing is a big draw - where else can these people go for less than $100 a day pp for room, entertainment & 3+ meals a day - its economy travel at best. People look like they are taking out the garbage or going to the mall onboard...

Other people have different views and opinions and some are biased for economic reasons...there is nothing better than being at sea...but promoting the Veendam & HAL as a quality product is just wrong(the Prinsendam - tho a lovely ship - it too should also be shelved).

And certainly after sailing w/ HAL since the 1970's with too many cruises to count - after our Veendam & Prinsendam cruises we gave up..don't need sewage smells(both ships) mediocre food(more so on Veendam) and not enough help(both ships again) and we don't sail the floating malls that are built today. We have sailed other lines in the last few years & certainly from what I've read & friends that have sailed HAL..things have gotten worse....no thanks at any price!

I agree with this post, the older ships need shelved and they will be in the next few years. We were lucky on our Veendam cruise to have had working AC and plumbing, most of the cabins on our floor had no AC for days and days. No AC equates to no ventilation for an ocean view cabin, I get short of breath just thinking about it.

I thought the Prinsendam was the most over rated product I've experienced in years, a blah Boring ship with musty smells throughout, including our cabin. I don't even want to think about what was behind the musty walls. Food and service were average for the fleet which isn't saying much.

HAL is definitely declining in quality but it can be a good value for someone who wants to see the world for not much money. Lots of their cruises are filled with passengers fill at the $100 to $125 dollar per diem level. Sometimes even less.

I agree with this post, the older ships need shelved and they will be in the next few years. We were lucky on our Veendam cruise to have had working AC and plumbing, most of the cabins on our floor had no AC for days and days. No AC equates to no ventilation for an ocean view cabin, I get short of breath just thinking about it.

I thought the Prinsendam was the most over rated product I've experienced in years, a blah Boring ship with musty smells throughout, including our cabin. I don't even want to think about what was behind the musty walls. Food and service were average for the fleet which isn't saying much.

HAL is definitely declining in quality but it can be a good value for someone who wants to see the world for not much money. Lots of their cruises are filled with passengers fill at the $100 to $125 dollar per diem level. Sometimes even less.

Gee I sure would like to see that &100 per day level. Clearly, you must to be going to a deeply discounted ta. It's been very, very rare when I've seen a $100 per day cruise. I just looked at Veendam cruises for the time period from May to July. Out of all these cruises I see 2 that fall into the $100 day category. The rest were much more than that. Do you have other info? I think you are expecting a luxury experience from a mainstream line. Most of us on this board are realistic and don't think the Prinsendam equates to luxury.

Edited by cruz chic

Iirc, the NA had some engine problems in the last year. That is hals newest ship so anything can happen. You don't hear people talking about that too often. I know that several posters did have serious issues on the Veendam and I would never dimish or say it never happened. It's been a few years though. I'm also pretty darn sure it never happened to any of the posters that are so negative on this thread but I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong.

I was on the Veendam last September when she broke down. I think there were at least three cruises that were cancelled. I'm not being super negative about it because things happen. It was bad luck. I have to admit, though, that now I'm more worried about these older ships when I never was worried before. I want to go on the Statendam to Alaska this summer, but I can't seem to make myself book it because of what happened on the Veendam. I have to say the cruise experience on the Veendam was OK before they kicked me off the ship.

I was on the Veendam last September when she broke down. I think there were at least three cruises that were cancelled. I'm not being super negative about it because things happen. It was bad luck. I have to admit, though, that now I'm more worried about these older ships when I never was worried before. I want to go on the Statendam to Alaska this summer, but I can't seem to make myself book it because of what happened on the Veendam. I have to say the cruise experience on the Veendam was OK before they kicked me off the ship.

I don't recall the incident in the last year so my memory is faulty. At least you have first had experience with it unlike some that just like complain about things they haven't experienced. You couldn't pay me enough to get on the Statendam and I've spent about 40 days on that ship but it was at least 4 years ago. I'd be happy as a clam if I could do all my cruise on the NA or the eurodam. I do not like old ships, and that goes for every cruise line. I want to go to bermuda so that means the Veendam.

• 1 month later...

The Veendam has a great summer run. It's tough to hear all the past problems, however it's an aging Lady. Hopefully HAL is doing its due diligence with up-keep and repairs. This will be my first foray with HAL and it's Bermuda/Hamilton run (last week in June) was the perfect itinerary for my wife & I. I'll be working on a video blog for my Boston Nightlife & Entertainment show "Dirty Water TV" for this trip. Here's hoping I have a great report to author! I'll also post a detailed review here on CC when I get back.