Veendam problems?

Ineke

We must be lucky. Our last five or six Celebrity cruises, on both Solstice and Millenium class ships, have all been first rate in every aspect.

But so were our Princess cruises as was our October RCI cruise-so much so that we recently booked another one and will board within a week.

IMHO, any cruise line that reduces maintenance is cheating their customers.

Edited by iancal

Maybe in your opinion! :rolleyes: Personally, my two Celebrity cruises were nothing short of EXCELLENT! ;)

Of course it's my opinion. Would I be posting on behalf of someone else:confused:? I also don't go around the boards chastising everyone that posts. You've posted in the past that spa workers were excellent but mentioned in another post that you've never been to the spa so............

Then you SHOULD have preceeded your statement "In my opinion" (their product is very poor)! :rolleyes:

CELEBRITY:

1. MILLENNIUM SOME VERY BAD REVIEWS

2. CONDITION OF THE MILLENNIUM

3. MILLENNIUM WORST CELBRITY CRUISE EVER

4. CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION BAD REVIEWS

5. SILHOUTLE ALERT

6. BUYER'S REMORSE....

Do I go on? This was just a very quick sample. WOW! That must be the WORST cruise line!

Come on guys, give these ships a chance. Everything mechanical can break down. A season in Alaska without sunshine and the ship looks rusty. That stained carpet... yes, well next week in drydock for that work.

Then you SHOULD have preceeded your statement "In my opinion" (their product is very poor)! :rolleyes:

And then there are others that say that statement in redundant. There is the option for you to put my posts on ignore. I'm strongly recommending that you do that.

Celebrity has pretty good food. The Solstice class ships are highly rated.

Oceania ports periodically at Hamilton, we are considering one for 2016 that crosses from Barcelona. I've seen Bermuda on Riviera's schedule and I think Regatta calls there when they reposition from New England. I don't believe they have any dedicated cruises to Bermuda as they have few seven day trips.

The food was either very good or very bad on my celebrity cruises. I had some beef that I couldn't even cut. That it not pretty good food to me. Oceania is not an option for me. Not everyone has money falling out of their pockets and can spend 5k on a cruise without blinking especially in my current situation.

Add me to the list of people that totally agrees with that comment. I did the Voyage of the Vikings on the Veendam in 2013. Basically, I enjoyed the cruise; however, and my impression of the ship was an overall lack of maintenance with the ship just being totally "worn out".

That's the way I feel about the Statendam. Wild horses couldn't drag me on that ship. Happy to see that bucket of bolts go.

I am somewhat worried about doing my Veendam cruise in May. I want to go to bermuda so that's the choice I've made. I refuse to do celebrity because their product is very poor. I know that the Veendam has had its problems but these seem to be more from several years ago. I sailed the Veendam in 2010 with no issues but I would never claim that no one else has. I assume there won't be sewage dripping from the walls. I'm not one of the few people on here that dismiss problems by calling people poor travellers.

I think part of the problem is that some staterooms have problems and some do not. If I wanted to go to Bermuda I would go on Veendam too. HAL has definitely given the best itineraries to the oldest ships.

Just curious when you were last on Celebrity to state that "their product is very poor". They have been getting better and better and keep their ships in much better shape with maintenance than HAL does. The food on our Celebrity cruises has been overall much better than HAL and my DH is a professional Chef. We cruise on both lines by the way.

Edited by Jade13

Maybe in your opinion! :rolleyes: Personally, my two Celebrity cruises were nothing short of EXCELLENT! ;)

So were ours and at a much better per diem. We cruise on both Solstice and Millennium class ships.

HAL has the better overall itineraries but we are cruising on Millennium later this year from Japan to Hong Kong, and their itineraries keep getting better and better and especially the 12-14 exotic cruises which work well for those of us still working.

HAL has the best itineraries, but we can't always get away for the 17-22 night cruises we have done on HAL.

Edited by Jade13

Not everyone has money falling out of their pockets and can spend 5k on a cruise without blinking especially in my current situation.

At under that price point (for 2 people or a solo) assume these are mostly shorter cruise in either the Caribbean, Alaska, Mexico, or Europe (for those who live there). HAL is one of the most expensive mass market lines.

Edited by Jade13

I think part of the problem is that some staterooms have problems and some do not. If I wanted to go to Bermuda I would go on Veendam too. HAL has definitely given the best itineraries to the oldest ships.

Just curious when you were last on Celebrity to state that "their product is very poor". They have been getting better and better and keep their ships in much better shape with maintenance than HAL does. The food on our Celebrity cruises has been overall much better than HAL and my DH is a professional Chef. We cruise on both lines by the way.

It was about 3 or 4 years ago. I know that people love to think their experience is the only valid one. It does not take a chef to tell that beef you can't cut its not good, wouldn't you say? You would stand up at the front desk for at least a half hour for any query. I could not get anyone to open my white wine for the longest time. I didn't finish it the first night so they slammed it on the table the second night. It was white so it needed ice. I did pay the high corkage before someone asks. Would you think this is good service? I could go on and on which would likely lead to being shot down by what other people believe. Only their experience counts.

At under that price point (for 2 people or a solo) assume these are mostly shorter cruise in either the Caribbean, Alaska, Mexico, or Europe (for those who live there). HAL is one of the most expensive mass market lines.

I can't understand this comment. Are you saying it is more or less? When did you last price a hal cruise? I'm willing to bet they are much less than Oceania.

When did you last price a hal cruise? I'm willing to bet they are much less than Oceania.

They are, and by a very large amount for those of us who typically book the insides.

Not only are Oceania's prices significantly higher for comparable cabins, but they also have fewer inside cabins. To sail Oceania, one will have to book a higher category cabin (at a higher per diem than used to), plus pay the higher rates.

For me, when I sailed the Riviera, it was about 4 times what I would have paid on HAL. Had I not found a roomie, it would not have been possible to take that cruise.

Edited by RuthC

I can't understand this comment. Are you saying it is more or less? When did you last price a hal cruise? I'm willing to bet they are much less than Oceania.

I would not compare HAL to Oceania (or Azamara), as far as pricing since HAL is mass market and the other two are "Luxury lite", plus of course the per diem will be higher on a 650 passenger ship than one twice the size. Celebrity is typically less than HAL, which I mentioned in response to your post regarding pricing sensitivity.

Food will change depending on who cooked it and we have had both good and bad experiences on HAL, Celebrity, and Azamara.

Edited by Jade13

You SHOULD have started your post with "In my opinion ..." :p Face it: 90% of the posts here are opinions, and it's obvious. Edited by jtl513

You SHOULD have started your post with "In my opinion ..." :p Face it: 90% of the posts here are opinions, and it's obvious.

I think it is redundant to keep saying In my opinion, we all have them. There was an entertainment board I used to read and the moderators demanded IMO in posts, needless to say that board died.

The latest report on the Veendam: Just off 2 weeks and found no problems on the ship...our cabin was delightful, verandah was in perfect shape (no paint issues, no poor chairs, etc.), public areas were in great shape...lounge chairs in library all in good shape, etc. So...overall no issues. No sewer smells, no problem with AC (other than the ships...all of them...seem to overdue the AC in public areas.). Food was adequate, but that is not what HAL is known for. No issue with it. Desserts were poor (as usual.) Not a bad thing ;-)

Yes, we had a "mechanical issue" that the Chief Engineer and Captain both explained...not a problem. All engines have to be overhauled every X hours of service and the overhauls are done during the cruises...with this one a problem arose that involved something that couldn't be handled by the crew on board...hence our slower sail (only 18 knots ;-) to San Diego...not really a real issue.

The staff on the Veendam was very good...Cruise Director was the best ever. (Mario Vice). Shop talk fellow, Chris, was the best we've had. Annette, Future Cruise Consultant, was also the best we've had.

Yes, the change to the aft deck is not our favorite, but we will be the recipient of one of those "new cabins" when we sail on the Voyage of the Vikings in July...will have 232 which is an aft corner cabin that should be, from all reports, excellent.

All ships will have problems of one sort or another at any time...but people shouldn't count on years' old comments to choose a ship. We choose by itinerary, and figure that HAL fits our budget and "style" so will continue to happily sail on their ships.

Very glad to hear your cruise had no problems! Like our last time on the Veendam, hopefully all the problems have been worked on and there will be smooth sailing this summer.

I think it is redundant to keep saying In my opinion, we all have them. There was an entertainment board I used to read and the moderators demanded IMO in posts, needless to say that board died.

"In my opinion" is often used here as a disclaimer because some posters will demand to know where one got his/her facts from.

We were on the Veendam last July for the Quebec-to-Boston cruise. It was our first time to sail HAL and we enjoyed the Veendam immensely.

We will be taking our first HAL cruise on the Veendam in May. It can be nerve wracking to read about peoples less than stallar cruise on the Veendam, it makes me nervous. I'm hoping we have a good experience, because the itinerary and being close to the embarkation port was too good to pass up. So thank you for sharing your positive experience, I have my fingers crossed that we made a decent choice for a cruise this year. :)

Lorie

As another reader I have to say it's pretty much a given that it was cruz chic opinion. I'm just wondering why people such as yourself seem to have so much invested personally that you feel the need to split hairs and bash people's opinion. Too much of that on CC lately, it's getting ridiculous. And that is my opinion, since you need that clarified. ;)

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

Lorie....

When you sit in Crows Nest having a drink watching sunset over Hamilton... or sitting in Ocean Bar... watching over Front Street..... dinner in Pinnacle Grill watching the bustle of Front Street...... VEENDAM is not a brand news cruise ship... well in middle life. Is something wrong with that? ;)

Lorie....

When you sit in Crows Nest having a drink watching sunset over Hamilton... or sitting in Ocean Bar... watching over Front Street..... dinner in Pinnacle Grill watching the bustle of Front Street...... VEENDAM is not a brand news cruise ship... well in middle life. Is something wrong with that? ;)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

We enjoyed our 2010 cruise to Bermuda on the Veendam so much that we are doing a repeat cruise on the Veendam to Bermuda in June.

We could have chosen one of the larger, newer, other line ships for the cruise but we prefer what is familiar and comfortable to us.

It will be our third trip to your delightful Island, the second being a day stop on a TA on the Prinsendam in 2013. Bermuda is one of the few places we have visited that we felt we could be happy living in.

:)

Made two of the Bermuda cruises in 2010, another one in 2011 and again in 2012. My reasons are different. I the VEENDAM is just the big blue 'Ferryboat'! I can shop in NY and bring purchases easily without the weight problem. Honest. :rolleyes: Born and bred on the Island it is still a thrill to sail into Hamilton Harbour. Even better is having dinner at Bolero's and can walk right from there to the ship in two minutes. Takes my 30 minutes home in the taxi!!! So.... I am making a shopping trip in Boston... yes... 2nd May.

Is VEENDAM the most perfect ship? No. Do I like her? Yes! Sad about the extended of the upper deck and the 'Mix', but the rest of the ship is just fine. She is a fine ship for the Bermuda run. Right size, no glitz and docked in Hamilton. Easy.

Stephen

PS: I even made my own tile!

120199018_VEENDAMTILEsmall.jpg.7bef8bb4e66501b271d7db632510d116.jpg

We will be taking our first HAL cruise on the Veendam in May. It can be nerve wracking to read about peoples less than stallar cruise on the Veendam, it makes me nervous. I'm hoping we have a good experience, because the itinerary and being close to the embarkation port was too good to pass up. So thank you for sharing your positive experience, I have my fingers crossed that we made a decent choice for a cruise this year. :)

Lorie

I, too, am sailing with HAL for the first time in May [same sailing as you!] and the reports about the Veendam seem to be all over the place. People either like her or don't, so it seems. I think docking in Hamilton and having an extra night in Bermuda made this a no-brainer compared to NCL's options. Also, the Sat-Sat schedule is preferable to the Dawn's Fri-Fri or the Breakaway's Sun-Sun.

I do admit that I may be a little more anxious about the bad reports if I didn't live in Boston though. If something happens I am close to home but if I were flying in from the other side of the country all this negativity would make me worried. Still, I think this will be a great cruise to one of the best islands there is!