Veendam problems?

Ineke

We disembarked the Ryndam on March 8. We missed the port of Costa Maya on Friday as 2 engines went out sometime during the early morning hours on Friday. They were back online before noon but we were already en route to Tampa. We would have enjoyed our port call but were happy to have another sea day.

I was disappointed in the new menus and the food overall. It seems to have taken a downhill turn since our back to back on the Maasdam in August. I must eat gluten free and felt there was little attempt to make main course selections appetizing, most were dried out and over cooked with no sauce of any type. My DH also felt there was a decline in dinner entrees. We have also noticed this decline when cruising with Celebrity.

The elevators showed a great deal of wear and tear. I noticed the keypad backings looked as if they had been polished with a paste and not wiped down. Wondered if this could be a result of the constant disinfecting. Overall, the elevators appeared to be in bad shape cosmetically but still functioned okay.

This was a last minute cruise and we did enjoy it and left feeling relaxed. For the price, we felt it was good value. It is nice to sail out of Tampa occasionally but wonder if we will enjoy the Veendam.

As another reader I have to say it's pretty much a given that it was cruz chic opinion. I'm just wondering why people such as yourself seem to have so much invested personally that you feel the need to split hairs and bash people's opinion. Too much of that on CC lately, it's getting ridiculous. And that is my opinion, since you need that clarified. ;)

Lorie

In YOUR opinion, correct? :rolleyes:

I sure wish it was the Veendam going to P&O instead of the Ryndam! Good luck on your cruise. :)

So do I. I don't understand the reasoning behind this. We're doing the Veendam again to Bermuda but I'm not so sure I'd want to do the Caribbean on her next winter...with the aft debacle.

So do I. I don't understand the reasoning behind this. We're doing the Veendam again to Bermuda but I'm not so sure I'd want to do the Caribbean on her next winter...with the aft debacle.

Veendam is pretty unsaleable. Faulty construction a main reason.

Veendam is pretty unsaleable. Faulty construction a main reason.

In your opinion ;)

We're heading for a 4th cruise on Veendam (May 30 Bermuda) and happy about it. Yeah the back of the ship is a hot mess, but the rest is fine, great crew, nice size. After 3 times it just feels like home to us.

We were on the Veendam last July for the Quebec-to-Boston cruise. It was our first time to sail HAL and we enjoyed the Veendam immensely.

As did we last June on the same itinerary. The ship seemed in good repair and we had a near perfect experience. So sorry to hear that others had a different experience - we really enjoyed the Veendam and look forward to sailing on her to Bermuda this June..

In your opinion ;)

We're heading for a 4th cruise on Veendam (May 30 Bermuda) and happy about it. Yeah the back of the ship is a hot mess, but the rest is fine, great crew, nice size. After 3 times it just feels like home to us.

Oh, not doubting you love it. But it's a fact the addition caused quite a bit of poor construction and that very likely is a major reason why it wasn't one of those sold.

I imagine it'll be sold instead of scrapped just at a heavier discount.

Oh, not doubting you love it. But it's a fact the addition caused quite a bit of poor construction and that very likely is a major reason why it wasn't one of those sold.

I imagine it'll be sold instead of scrapped just at a heavier discount.[/quote

In the meantime i agree with comments upthread that customers should vote with their feet and avoid these old ships.

We do not have a problem with older ships IF the cruise line does proper maintenance. We just got off the Sun Princess last week. Twenty years old and in tip top shape.

We think that HAL has been cutting corners on ship maitenance in order to save money and 'milk' some older ships prior to selling them. Veendam is one. There are a few others. Our sense is that this has been going on for the past three or four years.

Our attitude is why even take a chance on them. Much easier to simply select a different HAL ship or a different cruise line. I am always astonished when I see people explain away issues. We want what we pay for and expect the cruise line to live up to the expectations that they have set. Issues such as no ac, plumbing, or mechanical are not part of those expectations.

We so agree. Why risk taking a cruise on a ship that has a history of problems? It was just this past Sept and Oct that the Veendam had propeller problems that affected 3 cruises. Now, we have evidence of even more problems with the engines. I couldn't imagine finding myself on that ship, half-way to Bermuda and experience engine failure so great as to be dead in the water. Too much risk for us. I am glad that others are willing to roll the dice, and I truly do wish you the very best cruise experience.

None of these S Class ships have been sold. STATENDAM and RYNDAM have been transferred within the Carnival fleet... they are going to P&O(Australia).

VEENDAM and MAASDAM are still sailing the HAL fleet. EVERY ship can experience from mechanical problems. Go back to Celebrity... several of their ships were plagued with pod problems and had to be completely replaced because of design fault. Every ships can have propeller problems. 99.99% problems of any ship can be rectified.... when they can get into dock. Sometime the ship can continue for many months on one propeller. It is not a safety issue. Had there be any issue regarding safety the ship would be immediately taken out for service.

Back in the 1970s I was on a ship named EUROLINER. We had two Pratt & Whitney gas turbines. Because of maintenance, one gas turbine had to be removed and refitted every TWO MONTHS. So, one week of every month we had one turbine out in service. 5 days to replace the turbine... but during we sailed coastal for one propeller making 21 knots. Meanwhile the three sisterships..... same routine. It was normal.

I just feel for some comments saying that HAL is not looking after their ships and they are falling apart and ready to sink every second. Come on guys, very bad information is more like 'the sky is falling'! I take a ship between any a plane at any time!

Stephen

We so agree. Why risk taking a cruise on a ship that has a history of problems? It was just this past Sept and Oct that the Veendam had propeller problems that affected 3 cruises. Now, we have evidence of even more problems with the engines. I couldn't imagine finding myself on that ship, half-way to Bermuda and experience engine failure so great as to be dead in the water. Too much risk for us. I am glad that others are willing to roll the dice, and I truly do wish you the very best cruise experience.

Don't you think you are blowing things out of proportion? I hate the Statendam so much but I would never make a comment like this to people that are going to sail on her, especially newbies. The Statendam has also had engine problems and not once, no not even once, has it died on the way to a port. If you don't want to sail on it then fine, but please stop these comments that are totally blown out of proportion.

I sailed Veendam 5/6 years ago NYC - Bermuda..we've been to Bermuda many times since the 1970's. The physical changes to Veendam were terrible - that aft pool being removed, the additional cabins(w/ passengers) the air conditioning insufficiently cooling the ship. Along w/ the cutbacks to staff & food - after the cruise we decided not to sail on the line ever again.

Edited by Rotterdam

Lorie....

When you sit in Crows Nest having a drink watching sunset over Hamilton... or sitting in Ocean Bar... watching over Front Street..... dinner in Pinnacle Grill watching the bustle of Front Street...... VEENDAM is not a brand news cruise ship... well in middle life. Is something wrong with that? ;)

No, what you describe is what we are looking forward to on the Veendam. We are looking forward to a smaller, cozier ship, elegant surroundings, a ship that isn't trying to be the flashy Vegas strip at sea. As someone who just loves cruising, I am not thrilled with the trend now by cruise lines to create mega ships. I have a positive personal perception of the Veendam, really I do. Your point that she is a middle aged ship brought clarity to the situation of her need for maintenance and upkeep being normal, and on any ship there can be issues. And we are not complainers, we've never had issues while cruising either. We are looking forward to our cruise, and are hoping Holland America is a good fit for us. They have many loyal return guests, they must be doing something right. ;)

Lorie

NO AC problems at all on our recent Panama Canal cruise (2 weeks ago) on the Veendam and that was through the high heat areas where we would have noticed any problem with it!

Yes, taking out the aft pool and replacing it with a couple of jacuzzis isn't the greatest, but in July we'll benefit from it with one of those added aft verandahs. Looking forward to it!

Also, having done a Westerdam cruise just prior to the Veendam, both in Verandah Cabins, it reminded me how tiny the Verandah Cabins (unless you book an SS-SY, etc.) are on the larger ships. They have only a small (VERY) loveseat and small desk (1 bank of drawers), whereas the Veendam's cabins had a full-size couch and long (3 banks of drawers) desk. The drawers next to the bed are larger on the Veendam, too.

Unless you have recently (within last year) sailed on a ship, I don't feel you are qualified to discuss issues about it…for or against. If your house was on the high seas, you'd have problems occasionally with it…it doesn't mean it's been poorly built. These ships are constantly undergoing maintenance, so you may be in a cabin that is just about to have the verandah painted, new sofa, etc….or you might be the first person sailing in that redone cabin…it'll color your feelings about it.

As of 2 weeks ago, I saw no maintenance issues with the Veendam and am looking forward to sailing in July for 35 days on her.

As to the engine "problem" the Captain and Engineer discussed what happened with us and I was happy with their explanation. Everything was normal. We were never in any danger (5 engines total…can go 18 knots just with 4 operating) of a real problem….sort of like working on your car and not having the replacement gizmo in your garage…having to go to the hardware store to get it.

Let's end this ridiculous thread. Check out any of the other forums and everyone is complaining about less service/quality nowadays. If they raised their prices we'd not be able to sail! Then we'd all be complaining about the high prices of cruises.

Edited by janmcn

Here a photo of Veendam outbound from Hamilton two years ago.

Stephen

Nice shot, Stephen. I like the way you have the tree blocking the view of the aft. She looks pretty with the framing.

is the opportunity to read varying opinions & facts. For those that truly know what luxury cruising is & was, todays HAL misses the mark completely- obviously pricing is a big draw - where else can these people go for less than $100 a day pp for room, entertainment & 3+ meals a day - its economy travel at best. People look like they are taking out the garbage or going to the mall onboard...

Other people have different views and opinions and some are biased for economic reasons...there is nothing better than being at sea...but promoting the Veendam & HAL as a quality product is just wrong(the Prinsendam - tho a lovely ship - it too should also be shelved).

And certainly after sailing w/ HAL since the 1970's with too many cruises to count - after our Veendam & Prinsendam cruises we gave up..don't need sewage smells(both ships) mediocre food(more so on Veendam) and not enough help(both ships again) and we don't sail the floating malls that are built today. We have sailed other lines in the last few years & certainly from what I've read & friends that have sailed HAL..things have gotten worse....no thanks at any price!

I'd like the name of "Rotterdam's" TA…sounds like they get a great deal on cruises! "Less than $100/day/pp?" Interesting. I've never come close to that!

No sewer smells in P'dam (45 days) or Veendam (many days).

By the way…an interesting thread on Oceana about a disappointed guest…poor food, poor service, poor airline connections, etc. No line seems perfect to everyone.

We're about to cruise on Veendam for the 4th time this May *waves to Topsham* The first was an accident of itinerary. Times 2-4 are by choice. And there's a real chance of cruise 5 on her next year. TBH we haven't met a dam ship we haven't liked, but for some reason Veendam seems to be our ship away from home.

veen-sydney_zps9b279e16.jpg

Nearer the date... lets have a drink on the balcony at Bolero's?

That's a date:)

Email is shrimp56 at hotmail.com We're on the May 30 cruise, celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary during the cruise. See how much we love VEDM?

Don't you think you are blowing things out of proportion? I hate the Statendam so much but I would never make a comment like this to people that are going to sail on her, especially newbies. The Statendam has also had engine problems and not once, no not even once, has it died on the way to a port. If you don't want to sail on it then fine, but please stop these comments that are totally blown out of proportion.

Thank you for addressing this. As a first time HAL cruiser I at first took every review and criticism to heart, and it made me worry about our upcoming cruise. But the Veendam is not a new ship, and we knew that before we booked. To be honest, we who love cruising take a chance every time we board a ship for a cruise. There have been serious engine fires and other mishaps and calamities on newer ships. There are also thousands of cruises taking place without a hitch. I finally realized that if I just dwelled on what could go wrong, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable cruising on any ship. An older ship can break down, a newer ship is untried and there can be issues on them as well. So for the people who don't feel comfortable on the Veendam, they don't have to sail any ship they don't want to sail. We chose the Veendam for the intinerary and for her good qualities, and we are sticking with our decision to try her out. Time to ignore the fear mongerers - less than two months till we sail, and gosh darn it I'm excited!

Lorie

Thank you for addressing this. As a first time HAL cruiser I at first took every review and criticism to heart, and it made me worry about our upcoming cruise. But the Veendam is not a new ship, and we knew that before we booked. To be honest, we who love cruising take a chance every time we board a ship for a cruise. There have been serious engine fires and other mishaps and calamities on newer ships. There are also thousands of cruises taking place without a hitch. I finally realized that if I just dwelled on what could go wrong, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable cruising on any ship. An older ship can break down, a newer ship is untried and there can be issues on them as well. So for the people who don't feel comfortable on the Veendam, they don't have to sail any ship they don't want to sail. We chose the Veendam for the intinerary and for her good qualities, and we are sticking with our decision to try her out. Time to ignore the fear mongerers - less than two months till we sail, and gosh darn it I'm excited!

Lorie

Iirc, the NA had some engine problems in the last year. That is hals newest ship so anything can happen. You don't hear people talking about that too often. I know that several posters did have serious issues on the Veendam and I would never dimish or say it never happened. It's been a few years though. I'm also pretty darn sure it never happened to any of the posters that are so negative on this thread but I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong.