Passport Issue...Advice or Experience?

Ok so I have a disabled 30 yr old son. He has never worked, never driven a car but he does have a valid California ID and an official certified birth certificate.

We applied for his passport back in January, and after 7 weeks, I decided to call and check on it. We still have 4 weeks before we sail...(sail April 4th).

Anyhoo, the passport agency said they would look into the issue, and call me the next day. They did. They said they need more documents from him and will be sending us a letter. Hmmm? What could they possibly need???? Then they said he will probably have to come in for an oral interview. They also said, I probably won't have enough time to get a passport before our sail day. The agent suggests we go obtain another original birth certificate, as that is all we need to sail. Ok so that is what I am doing this week.

However, I really wanted him to have a passport. Anyone know what additional documents the passport agency would want? Because my son has never worked, or filed for anything else, what more could I give to them? He has not much of a background, and he has a very common first and last name, and no middle name...(I guess I should have given him a middle name).

If anyone has any similar passport experience as this, can you tell me what else would be needed so I can start applying for it???

Thanks!

A personal interview should answer their questions. Your application is exactly what a identification thief would use.

Ya....once they have a personal interview, they will understand. Just wanna get additional docs ready and what kind?

Does he have a Social Security number? I think he may have fallen in that time frame where parents didn't get SSN's for the kids until they worked, but I may be dating myself.

Yes he has a SSN number.....and he gets SS benefits for the disabled. Wonder if that is what they will need?

Yes he has a SSN number.....and he gets SS benefits for the disabled. Wonder if that is what they will need?

It's likely that the background check turned up no records (no mortgages, no tickets, things like that), so as above noted, they may be looking for a ghost application. An interview and some documentation from you regarding his disability benefits should clear things up.

It's not a bad idea but you won't need the actual original BC. A good copy and DL will suffice.

I actually do have a very good colored photocopy of his BC, but I read where yes that's all ya need, and no, ya need an original. Because I live close to Los Angeles, I can pick one up very easily. So not taking any chances.

school enrollment records or transcripts. Write to the school district

Why would they need his school records? If I need those, those are easy to obtain as well. I do have his high school diploma. I will look and see if I have any of his report cards.

It's likely that the background check turned up no records (no mortgages, no tickets, things like that), so as above noted, they may be looking for a ghost application. An interview and some documentation from you regarding his disability benefits should clear things up.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. No credit, no mortgages, no tickets, no trouble, no nothing.....but SS benefits and a valid ID, and original birth certificate.

I actually do have a very good colored photocopy of his BC, but I read where yes that's all ya need, and no, ya need an original. Because I live close to Los Angeles, I can pick one up very easily. So not taking any chances.

I thought you need a BC with a raised seal on it. That would be considered an "original" even though it is not the actual original you recieved when he was born. I don't think a photocopy works for the State Dept in issuing a passport or the cruise line for sailing.

I thought you need a BC with a raised seal on it. That would be considered an "original" even though it is not the actual original you recieved when he was born. I don't think a photocopy works for the State Dept in issuing a passport or the cruise line for sailing.

You need an original or certified copy. Many states do not use a raised seal anymore, so that requirement has gone away.

While my son was a lot younger (he was 7 at the time...) I had a HORRID time getting him his first passport. Happily they never requested an in person interview, but it took my family about 6 months of sending documents back and forth and got no where. Because I was 17 when I was born, our state does not put the last name of a minor on the birth certificate which was the real problem.

To be honest, the best and most useful resource we found was our state Representative in helping get it all settled. It sounds like you have all the correct information needed for the passport and by checking the federal records they should be able to see his SSD and everything is in order. We never even talked to our state rep himself, just his secretary but we had his passport in hand in less than 2 weeks after that phone call.

That is one this we elect our state representatives to do and they have a department specifically for it. Call our local person and ask for their constituent service department. They will be able to help you get everything stored out, or at the minimum make sure you have everything you need to get everything straightened out!

While my son was a lot younger (he was 7 at the time...) I had a HORRID time getting him his first passport. Happily they never requested an in person interview, but it took my family about 6 months of sending documents back and forth and got no where. Because I was 17 when I was born, our state does not put the last name of a minor on the birth certificate which was the real problem.

To be honest, the best and most useful resource we found was our state Representative in helping get it all settled. It sounds like you have all the correct information needed for the passport and by checking the federal records they should be able to see his SSD and everything is in order. We never even talked to our state rep himself, just his secretary but we had his passport in hand in less than 2 weeks after that phone call.

That is one this we elect our state representatives to do and they have a department specifically for it. Call our local person and ask for their constituent service department. They will be able to help you get everything stored out, or at the minimum make sure you have everything you need to get everything straightened out!

Very interesting....thanks for the info. I will keep ya'll updated. Let ya know of our outcome. Curious what our state representatives do.....lol.

You need an original or certified copy. Many states do not use a raised seal anymore, so that requirement has gone away.

You don't even need that. A copy of an original will do. But whatever keeps a person feeling secure works best:D

****UPDATE****

My son got his letter from the passport agency. Here is what they are asking for; All family names, every address we have ever lived at, every school he has ever went to, every job he has ever had, his baptismal document and I had to dig up all the address for the last 30 years of places we lived, and every school. Luckily for me, I have all of it, and then some. I even found all his school transcripts, health records, a letter from his Dr explaining his permanent disability, I spent 2 hours filling all the information out and now I call tomorrow for an appointment for his oral interview. I hope they let me into the interview room. I am a certified sign language interpreter and I usually interpret for him. He understands my signing more than any other interpreter. Usually, they hire one for us but I want to do it.

When we had trouble getting my daughter's passport on time, we contacted my Congressman's office and they assisted in getting it for us. Just in time, 2 days before the trip.

Too late to help now, but this was the best suggestion.

you need a certified copy. do not take an original unless you have several copies( I do because way back when in the deep dark ages of antiquity when I moved to Japan I needed TWO passports.. my regular tourist one and my gov't issued no fee .. both of which required a BC. at that time, my particular state of birth( MD) allowed you to purchase up to three 'originals' (at hefty price plus the premium to have them overnighted)

it will need to have the raised seal. thats where the certified copy comes in. a photocopy will not have the raised seal, but a certified copy will indicate that the orginal does and has been cleared by a notary as being valid since you need to show both.

****UPDATE****

I hope they let me into the interview room. I am a certified sign language interpreter and I usually interpret for him. He understands my signing more than any other interpreter. Usually, they hire one for us but I want to do it.

problem is, if they do not use one of their own, and the person conducting the interview does not speak/understand the language they cannot be sure the translations are accurate. plus it may be a requirement to only use their personnel for such things. hopefully they will at at least let you stay.

problem is, if they do not use one of their own, and the person conducting the interview does not speak/understand the language they cannot be sure the translations are accurate. plus it may be a requirement to only use their personnel for such things. hopefully they will at at least let you stay.

Yep! And how do they know I'm telling him the right things? Calling today to get interview!