Passport Issue...Advice or Experience?

Nadine,

I don't know why I clicked on this forum but I am glad I did. My sister has a disabled child and so I read this with great interest. I know the hoops she has had to jump thru and can sympathize with what you are going thru now. I hope everything works out and ya'll have a great cruise.

Craig

Nadine,

I don't know why I clicked on this forum but I am glad I did. My sister has a disabled child and so I read this with great interest. I know the hoops she has had to jump thru and can sympathize with what you are going thru now. I hope everything works out and ya'll have a great cruise.

Craig

Thanks Craig....called first thing this morning and left message for the person that is handling my case at the passport agency. Left my phone number and still, 5hours later, I'm waiting for a call back. I've called in-between just incase they wrote my number wrong and he hasn't been in his office.

BTW, love your creed; "spending my kids inheritance, one cruise at at time."

Wow, just wow. Although I can appreciate the need to rule out identity theft, way too much documentation is being required. Good luck!

Please inform your Congress critter, even if after the fact.

Ya, I feel that they are doing their job, and looking out for identity theft and all that. I sat up for hours and hours last night trying to find all the information they need. He is 30 yrs old and we have lived in many different places over the years. I had to Google each address and zip codes and addresses of schools etc. They said to be sure not to miss a one.

Good news, my sister took my son to LA to get another original birth certificate. So I have some relief that he is getting on board.

I have already looked up our congressman and will be contacting his office.

There really needs to be a place on the application for "special needs." Then ask questions about the disability and so forth so that way, when they do their background check, they know they aren't going to find much information on that person.

Sheeeesh!

There really needs to be a place on the application for "special needs." Then ask questions about the disability and so forth so that way, when they do their background check, they know they aren't going to find much information on that person.

Sheeeesh!

Wouldn't that just result in the bad guys claiming they were special needs?

I understand your frustration, but put yourself on the other side .... trying to stop these folks . . . my sister was special needs and I appreciate your frustration at having to go thru special hoops .... my experience was 35 years ago when last encountered .... image how it was then as compared to now . . .

"Wouldn't that just result in the bad guys claiming they were special needs?"

Yes I guess you're right, but when they check the SSN records, they will be able to see he is actually collecting benefits. Maybe they want him to come in, just to see if he's still breathing?

"Wouldn't that just result in the bad guys claiming they were special needs?"

Yes I guess you're right, but when they check the SSN records, they will be able to see he is actually collecting benefits. Maybe they want him to come in, just to see if he's still breathing?

EXACTLY!

you've never heard of someone collecting benefits for someone who has 'passed' ? ? ?

YES, I agree, this is a burden for you

but this is ALSO a COMMON SCAM PATH

When there are problems getting a passport, one of your US Senators or your US Congressmen can help! ;)

LuLu

Not to be picky but adding to be helpful: a State Senator or Congressman or Assembly person would be helpful but not really a US Senator.

Wasn't he present when the application was initially submitted? They should already know the person in the photo actually lives.

As for as a process for "special needs," it would not be much of a stretch to apply a process similar to the existing process for kids.

****UPDATE****

My son got his letter from the passport agency. Here is what they are asking for; All family names, every address we have ever lived at, every school he has ever went to, every job he has ever had, his baptismal document and I had to dig up all the address for the last 30 years of places we lived, and every school. Luckily for me, I have all of it, and then some. I even found all his school transcripts, health records, a letter from his Dr explaining his permanent disability, I spent 2 hours filling all the information out and now I call tomorrow for an appointment for his oral interview. I hope they let me into the interview room. I am a certified sign language interpreter and I usually interpret for him. He understands my signing more than any other interpreter. Usually, they hire one for us but I want to do it.

Sounds like what we went through for security level clearance for my military brother. Can't believe they want all that for a passport. They evidently suspect it is for a non-person.

Wasn't he present when the application was initially submitted? They should already know the person in the photo actually lives.

As for as a process for "special needs," it would not be much of a stretch to apply a process similar to the existing process for kids.

Yes! He was present for the application. As well as, THEY took the photo because I didn't bring one.

It sounds like the lack of an initial paper trail (work records, mortgages, etc) raised some red flags for fraud in that office. I'm sure you have everything in order, and that they will see that this is a legitimate application.

Hope you get everything sorted out soon--have a terrific cruise! :D

******UPDATE*****

Passport interview for my son will be on March 26th. I'm sure we will be given his passport at the will call window, later that day. The agent called yesterday and was very nice on the phone. He says with everything I have, the interview should only take 10 minutes. I guess it's just to see if he is warm and breathing. He also said, that I will be able to be in the interview room with him and interpret for him.

Sweeeeet!

p.s. we did get him a new certified birth certificate as well.

This is really good to hear. My sister is going through something similar. Apparently the hospital didn't follow through with the paperwork when she was born and it wasn't discovered until a birth certificate was actually needed nearly 5 years later. At that time a delayed birth certificate was issued. Plus, for some unknown reason, her name is spelled slightly different on the birth certificate than what is now on all her documents. The State Department declined the passport stating they needed more "verification".

She had to send a whole bunch of extra stuff to the State Department. Thank goodness I still had Mom's (now deceased) file with all her old records. If that doesn't work, we may have to make an appointment for a physical visit, as well. Luckily I started pushing her on the process months in advance. We don't sail until August but I made her apply in February.

Hope you and your son have a great cruise.

******UPDATE*****

Passport interview for my son will be on March 26th. I'm sure we will be given his passport at the will call window, later that day. The agent called yesterday and was very nice on the phone. He says with everything I have, the interview should only take 10 minutes. I guess it's just to see if he is warm and breathing. He also said, that I will be able to be in the interview room with him and interpret for him.

Sweeeeet!

That is definitely good news! I'm glad you had all the info they needed.

Happy to hear the application seems to be moving along now. Hopefully you will soon have your son's passport in your hand. Good you have a spare certified birth certificate. You never know when it could come in handy though once you have his passport, that really is all you'd ever need.

Please let us know how the interview goes. Good luck.

This is really good to hear. My sister is going through something similar. Apparently the hospital didn't follow through with the paperwork when she was born and it wasn't discovered until a birth certificate was actually needed nearly 5 years later. At that time a delayed birth certificate was issued. Plus, for some unknown reason, her name is spelled slightly different on the birth certificate than what is now on all her documents. The State Department declined the passport stating they needed more "verification".

She had to send a whole bunch of extra stuff to the State Department. Thank goodness I still had Mom's (now deceased) file with all her old records. If that doesn't work, we may have to make an appointment for a physical visit, as well. Luckily I started pushing her on the process months in advance. We don't sail until August but I made her apply in February.

Hope you and your son have a great cruise.

My grandmother, who was born in 1913, told a story similar to this: She was born at home and had no birth certificate -- her parents didn't see the point in bothering. She went to school, college, was married, worked -- you know, had a normal life -- until she was in her 40s, and she got a government job that required a birth certificate.

To get a "late" birth certificate, she had to bring in the family Bible and a relative who could swear she remembered the day she was born. She said it was some trouble, but she did get her birth certificate.

This is just a unique situation. The application office just passes the application elsewhere who runs the background check. Being a 30 year old man with no visible paper trail and multiple addresses is a classical identity theft.

Can't tell you how many folks born with significant disabilities, having spent much of their lives in the system, still need a personal interview when the SS disability paperwork is completed at age 18.

This is just a unique situation. The application office just passes the application elsewhere who runs the background check. Being a 30 year old man with no visible paper trail and multiple addresses is a classical identity theft.

Can't tell you how many folks born with significant disabilities, having spent much of their lives in the system, still need a personal interview when the SS disability paperwork is completed at age 18.

I thought the OP's son had already run the SSI/SSDI drill. Isn't the receipt of federal benefits as much of a paper trail as receipt of wages and the associated withholding?

******UPDATE*****

Sweeeeet!

Hope all goes well for you and your son.

Craig

I thought the OP's son had already run the SSI/SSDI drill. Isn't the receipt of federal benefits as much of a paper trail as receipt of wages and the associated withholding?

Nope. There is a HUGE number of non existent folks who draw federal benefits. It is likely the most abused federal program in existence. Years ago, qualifying was incredibly easy. While it is a bit harder today, still easy to fake.

Many folks draw benefits off their parents so are identified by their parent's SS number in the system. Checks may be deposited into an account with some else's name as primary account holder.