New American Table rollout- what will you miss about the old menus?

NOLAbebe

I have been getting conflicting reports on whether Bitter & Blanc is still on the menu. We are on the Glory in April and I have been really looking forward to the Bitter & Blanc. Some people say yes it is still there and others say it isn't. Just had friend get off the Freedom and he said they did not have it. It definitely won't ruin my cruise but I sure would love to have it! I don't care for the WCMC.

We've had the 2, 3 & 4 day menus on the Imagination and Inspiration.

Like the Tuna appetizer almost as much as the duck.

We have had Duck potstickers on every cruise with the American Table. We've done the short cruises.

Each meal we've had a fish option, not necessarily seafood.

I'll miss the Yam, Cheddar pot pie.

Yam and Cheddar Pot Pie is still on the menu - slightly different name but it's there. Night 4.

ALSO - go to this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2177212

This has a compiling of the most recent menus posted by JH. A lot of items mentioned on this thread are still indeed on the menu.

I'm way more excited for these menus. The one thing I will miss is a nut free Tiramisu option (allergic), but I'm hoping the chef might can accommodate.

I have been getting conflicting reports on whether Bitter & Blanc is still on the menu. We are on the Glory in April and I have been really looking forward to the Bitter & Blanc. Some people say yes it is still there and others say it isn't. Just had friend get off the Freedom and he said they did not have it. It definitely won't ruin my cruise but I sure would love to have it! I don't care for the WCMC.

Bitter N Blanc is listed on the Night 7 menu. If you are on a 6 day cruise, you may not see it.

Also, it's my understanding that the current ships are still transitioning to the new, updated versions of the menus. It may take a few weeks for the ship to get on the right cycle.

Edited by tropicaledrink

Yam and Cheddar Pot Pie is still on the menu - slightly different name but it's there. Night 4.

ALSO - go to this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2177212

This has a compiling of the most recent menus posted by JH. A lot of items mentioned on this thread are still indeed on the menu.

I'm way more excited for these menus. The one thing I will miss is a nut free Tiramisu option (allergic), but I'm hoping the chef might can accommodate.

Thanks, haven't seen all the menus. The Yam Cheddar Pot Pie hasn't been on the menus we've had. It's been the Root Vegetable thing. It's ok, but not as good as the Yam one.

For the nut free tiramisu order it the night before.

Thanks, haven't seen all the menus. The Yam Cheddar Pot Pie hasn't been on the menus we've had. It's been the Root Vegetable thing. It's ok, but not as good as the Yam one.

For the nut free tiramisu order it the night before.

Yeah, I would normally do that, but right now it's scheduled for night 1. Maybe I'll email the maitre d' and see if it can be done!

Just off the Breeze yesterday. It was an 8 nighter and the Bitter and Blanc was still on there.

I think the new menu is meh and just alright but I felt the same way about the old menus. There was only one night, the last night, that nothing caught my eye to eat so I splurged on a 20 dollar NY Strip.

The cold soups were on the menu too so Carnival did bring those back.

There are some yummy additions to these new menus. I loved the Mahi Mahi from the Miami port of call menu. The Mojito chicken was excellent too. It was on the port of call menu but I forget from which island. And, also from the port of call menu, there were these beef skewers that were AMAZING! So tender and seasoned so well.

I didn't care for the mussels that they had one night, probably the worst I've ever had. A few of the pasta dishes were not good either.

The only thing I miss from the old menu is the jerk pork loin.

Yeah, I would normally do that, but right now it's scheduled for night 1. Maybe I'll email the maitre d' and see if it can be done!

Go when the MDR opens at embarkation. We've always been lucky with that.

Have to agree about Chateaubriand and BBQ ribs! While I liked having fried chicken as a fall back when there was nothing else I wanted, I love good pork chops and it is now offered every day.

I do wish there were a few other steak options for the upcharge. While everyone else in my group loves filets, I prefer a good ribeye. Not a sirloin, a ribeye! Wish they would have added that one to the upcharge menu.

I sent this question to John Heald through his blog and just got a response back. Here is the response I got back:

"The chef has responded and confirmed that the ships that are now offering the American Table do not do the Bitter & Blanc. However, if you speak to the Maitr'D onboard they maybe able to do it as a special request."

I'm surprised they don't have this on the menu anymore since it seemed almost as popular as the WCMC. I will survive and it certainly won't ruin my trip. I will ask the Maitr'D about it on the first night and see what happens.

The Southern Fried Chicken on the every day menu. My sons ate it almost every day.

My daughters were very fond of it as well. Hopefully they will enjoy some of the other chicken options, but this is one part of the new menu that concerns me. Also, hopefully my picky-eater husband will still find plenty he likes.

For myself, the only thing I regularly ordered that I don't see is chateaubriand, but beef wellington should make up for it. There seems to be an emphasis on the types of white-sauce pastas I enjoy and plenty of shellfish, which I prefer over fish. And I see several new desserts that I'm looking forward to.

Call it boring, but I miss a daily basic green salad, and tropical fruit plate available everyday, unless I am not seeing it.

And yes fried chicken was at least a guarantee to get hot,moist chicken under all the breading.

I agree about the fried chicken. I know people didn't think it was fancy enough to be in the dining room but I thought it was well-prepared and it is something I don't eat in my regular diet so was a treat to have.

I'll also miss the brisket in gravy that they served with mashed potatoes and creamed spinach. There is still a brisket but it is prepared differently and served with some corn dish and root vegetables. I don't like the sides listed so will not order it because I hate to waste food and would not eat either of them.

Just dreading dinners this coming cruise.

The new menu seems to be very 'Midwestern' like the old meat-and-three. I do wonder where all the pasta went and many of the old favorites. I am not interested in eating steaks, ribs, and pork chops with potatoes and green beans every night.

No wonder I like the new menu... having lived in the midwest for 40 years :)