Changes to D/D+ Internet Discount "piloted" last week on IOS

Just off IOS yesterday and wanted to give everyone a heads-up about a new D/D+ discount for the internet. In the past, D/D+ members would receive $39.95 off a package, which i always purchased the 1 hour for that price and would stretch this out over the duration of the cruise.

After logging for the first time, an error message popped up saying the coupon system was not working, but to see Guest Services and they would honor the coupon. So I proceeded with the purchase. As i have done in the past, i logged off after a couple of minutes. A few hours later I tried logging on again and wasn't able to. So I went to Guest Services where the employee told me the prgram changed and now you have to choose either 1 consecutive Hour for $39.95 or 24 hours for $39.95. Yes, I did not read the fine print but went with what have always done. The employee did tell me I could get another discount, but to go with the 24 hour option. I told him I would really miss the 1 hour option that I could stretch out throughout the cruise.

So later in the week, I log in again, try choosing the 24 hour option, and the same error code pops up so back down to GS. This time a different employee told me this a brand new progtam being "PILOTED" this week on IOS. I asked what kind of feedback have they received and she said, "not so good". According to this employee, customers have complained so they taking that into consideration and may not roll it out to the other ships.

My point is, if you do NOT want them to proceed, please provide feedback here, and on a future cruise you may be on.

BTW - had yet another wonderful cruise on IOS!

I read another thread here on this same subject but I don't recall what ship it was on. We are just off the EX and had the normal internet rates.

I think it was $29.95 for an hour which I stretched out for the 5 days.

I read another thread here on this same subject but I don't recall what ship it was on. We are just off the EX and had the normal internet rates.

I think it was $29.95 for an hour which I stretched out for the 5 days.

Ellen, wasn't this same type of info posted last year by someone who was on Allure and said that they only got 1 hour of internet usage with their coupon?

Ellen, wasn't this same type of info posted last year by someone who was on Allure and said that they only got 1 hour of internet usage with their coupon?

Good memory Patti. That was it. Here's the thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2116617&highlight=internet

Edited by molly361

On the 2/2 Quantum sailing, the allowance for D was $29.95 towards a package or 60 minutes. However, the paper in our cabin did not mention that the complementary hour needed to be used in one shot. A few D members marched down to GS and they could not understand as to why that was the case. Another GS member comes over and says yes that is new and RCL has the ability to change the terms. We objected as the benefits listed did not indicate as such. We talked it over with a supervisor and asked if this new policy was fleet wide or just on the Quantum. He said that he needed to talk to his supervisor. He disappeared for about 15 minutes and when he came back, said that they would allow the minutes to be used throughout the 11 nite cruise. What was funny, they established a different tier for $19.95 to select to apply to take advantage of this option.

We were on the 2/9 Liberty sailing and had the same issue with applying the 1 hour free internet coupons - twice. Both times we had to go to GS and they applied a credit to our account for the $29.95 charges. The lines were long both times.

We were able to use the minutes intermittently throughout the cruise. No one made mention that this was a new program.

I have to say, the cynic in me wondered if the issue with not being able to apply a coupon to the purchase was intentional. I gave RCCL a pass the first time, but when it happened again 3 days later, my radar was up. Perhaps not everyone entitled to the credit made it to GS to claim theirs.

This is what made no sense to me last week. Why offer 1 hr of continuous use and 24 hrs of continuous use for the same price which, by the way, was $29.95 not $39.95. It would have made much more sense to have 1 hr to use any way you want over the course of the week or 24 hrs of consecutive use. I think somebody screwed something up implementing the options.

I did go to guest services right after I bought the 24hr option and they applied my credit ($29.95) immediately.

There was another thread that indicated that the unlimited internet on the Indy is $120 for an 8 day cruise. Can you confirm this?

Yes it was $120 for 8 nights with one device connected at a time. I think it was $160 for a two device connection option. As the week goes on they do pro-rate the cost if you decide to buy later into the cruise.

Does anyone know if that is the case on Quantum. We are leaving next week & were planning on "stretching" it out over the week.

We were on Quantum Feb. 20 sailing (got back a week ago). When I logged on I was able to choose a free 24 hours unlimited, or a free hour to be used as I wished. It shows the price of either as $29.95. But cost due to D+ coupon as 0. Not sure about Diamond as we get the D+ which is a bit better.

Anyway, the choices were very clear and easy to understand and select. I selected the free hour and used it throughout the cruise to check emails, etc. Then on the last day I logged on for my wife and selected the free unlimited for 24 hours. Left the ship with 7 hours still available.

The internet, at least for us, was lightning fast compared to any other ship. I loaded a series of pictures to Facebook and as I selected the next to load, the one previously selected was already loaded.

I was very pleased with the D+ Internet options. When you get on board just look very closely at the options and pick the ones that will best suit you. There was also a discount option for unlimited internet at about $10 per day. Good deal if you are going to be on the internet a lot.

Papa flamingo..... Thank you so much!! That is just what I wanted to hear!!!! There are three of us and that will work just right for us!! We're leaving on the 21st on the Quantum of the Seas and can't wait to experience this new ship!

Kathie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am glad to see that papa flamingo was able to stretch his free hour out over the course of the cruise. We were on Quantum 2/2 sailing, and the only option available to me was the 24 consecutive hours, and I was told that was the the way it is. Supposedly the new policy! Wish I had done what Neblu did and gone to Guest Services, but I was dealing with Guest Services for this and that is the answer I got. Guess I should have pursued it!