Playa Palancar or Chankanaab?

runner5

I am looking for a place to chill by the beach and do some snorkeling with 3 teenage boys. We don't want inflatables and crowds (if that is possible). I was planning on going to Playa Palancar but a friend just said I need to go to Chankanaab instead. I decided to see what cruise critic had to say. Thank you for any input!

Well, Chank will give you better snorkeling on the northern end (think "to your left" when looking at the water). But there's an admission fee and the facility does get crowded. Lots to do there.

At Palancar, I think you can still hire a small boat for off shore snorkeling, but not definite on that. Shore snorkeling toward the southern end of the beach (think "to your right" when looking at the water) might off some sealife.

If you want good snorkeling and less crowds and are willing to give up some beach sand, look into the Money Bar. Lots of information on this board and they have a web site. Closer than Chank and certainly closer than Palancar.

Well, Chank will give you better snorkeling on the northern end (think "to your left" when looking at the water). But there's an admission fee and the facility does get crowded. Lots to do there.

At Palancar, I think you can still hire a small boat for off shore snorkeling, but not definite on that. Shore snorkeling toward the southern end of the beach (think "to your right" when looking at the water) might off some sealife.

If you want good snorkeling and less crowds and are willing to give up some beach sand, look into the Money Bar. Lots of information on this board and they have a web site. Closer than Chank and certainly closer than Palancar.

Crew, looking at the ocean isn't the northern end to the RIGHT?

Looking at the water the northern direction will be to your right. Excellent snorkeling at Chank and you are not fighting the current the whole day. It is never too crowded, and has a lot of cultural activities that might also interest you.

Crew, looking at the ocean isn't the northern end to the RIGHT?

Looking at the water the northern direction will be to your right. Excellent snorkeling at Chank and you are not fighting the current the whole day. It is never too crowded, and has a lot of cultural activities that might also interest you.

DUH!!!:o

Meant my other left!;) Which is why the D.I. was always chewing me out, LOL:D

Thanks for the info!! Why is Moneybar better? Is it because you can snorkel off the shore? The beach looks small to me or it just the pictures I've seen?

I'm not runner5, but...Moneybar does have a small "beach" area with beach chairs. They do have a number of tables to sit at as well and free wifi. No cover charge. Snorkeling right out in front, where the boats bring people to snorkel. I like it better than Chank. But I only want the snorkeling, wifi, and drinks/food and my table in the shade.

Chank does have a cover charge, about 20 bucks a pop. They have a big "beach" area. They have other things there too. It's big place.

You have a better chance of being in a less crowded area with Chank though.

Thanks for the info!! Why is Moneybar better? Is it because you can snorkel off the shore? The beach looks small to me or it just the pictures I've seen?

Both Chankanaab and Money Bar are pretty much set up the same...kinda. You have a beach area/sand and you have to walk down some steps in order to get into the ocean to snorkel, only Chank is A LOT bigger than Money Bar.

I have tons of pictures of Chankanaab in my review(s) (2 of them) listed in my signature line if you are interested. Chankanaab has a lot more to do there since it is a National Park. They have a free sea lion show, zip lining, alligator exhibit, beautiful lagoon with iguanas everywhere walking around, self guided mayan tour and some type of "human hamster ball" thing there now. Then of course you have the swims which are extra (dolphin, sea lion and manatee).

Yes, it's $21 pp to get in for adults and you can get a $2 off coupon online.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Somewhat related to this thread, Royal Caribbean offers this specific excursion:

CHANKANAAB SHORE SNORKEL & SEA LION SHOW - CZT4 - sea lion shows, snorkeling, hacienda antigua, beach - $45.75 kids $35.75

Is that a significantly higher price than one would pay to get the same thing if they just got off the ship and hopped in a taxi to get there?

• 2 weeks later...
Somewhat related to this thread, Royal Caribbean offers this specific excursion:

CHANKANAAB SHORE SNORKEL & SEA LION SHOW - CZT4 - sea lion shows, snorkeling, hacienda antigua, beach - $45.75 kids $35.75

Is that a significantly higher price than one would pay to get the same thing if they just got off the ship and hopped in a taxi to get there?

You can get a coupon on line and pay $19 entrance. Snorkeling, beach and sea lion shows are all free. The cabs are about $16 for 4 people and are located at the cruise pier with posted prices. So yes, it's significantly higher.

• 3 weeks later...
You can get a coupon on line and pay $19 entrance. Snorkeling, beach and sea lion shows are all free. The cabs are about $16 for 4 people and are located at the cruise pier with posted prices. So yes, it's significantly higher.

Nice to know. I wonder if a lot of people book the higher price through the cruise line because they're simply worried about getting ripped off or stranded by "strangers" when they get to the foreign land. I kind of am to be honest - the independent vendors are in no way associated with the cruise line and not insured/ensured by them etc.

Is that a legitimate concern or just paranoia?

Nice to know. I wonder if a lot of people book the higher price through the cruise line because they're simply worried about getting ripped off or stranded by "strangers" when they get to the foreign land. I kind of am to be honest - the independent vendors are in no way associated with the cruise line and not insured/ensured by them etc.

Is that a legitimate concern or just paranoia?

No problem going to Chankanaab on your own. It is only a short ride from the pier. It is a National Park. You have the freedom to come and go at times to suit you.

Lots and lots of dependable taxis in main tourist areas of Cozumel. Prices posted on a board at the pier. Tell the dispatcher where you want to go. Check price with driver before you leave. People report lots of taxis waiting for return trip.

Biggest problems to focus on with independent trip:

Make sure you wear a watch which is on ship time. Do not rely on cell phone. Take small denomination notes. There are three piers in Cozumel write down the name of the pier you want to return to.