Travel Warning for Honduras? Safe?

LuvCruiser70

Hi,

This question is for those who have recently traveled to Honduras and/or Belize in the past year:

I am thinking about doing a Carnival Dream itinerary that includes Roatan, Honduras, Belize, and Cozumel, Mexico. I have noticed there is a travel warning for Honduras. I have been to Mexico and Jamaica and despite of the reputable of those countries I have never felt unsafe. Is Roatan and Belize similar to Jamaica and Mexico? Did you feel safe when you traveled there?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

This question is for those who have recently traveled to Honduras and/or Belize in the past year:

I am thinking about doing a Carnival Dream itinerary that includes Roatan, Honduras, Belize, and Cozumel, Mexico. I have noticed there is a travel warning for Honduras. I have been to Mexico and Jamaica and despite of the reputable of those countries I have never felt unsafe. Is Roatan and Belize similar to Jamaica and Mexico? Did you feel safe when you traveled there?

Thanks in advance

The travel warnings for Honduras are for the mainland more than for their island off the coast (Roatan).

We were in Roatan in January of this year (2015) and felt totally safe. :)

LuLu

Honduras is ALWAYS on a travel warning. It's a very dangerous country EXCEPT for the fact that Roatan is an island and a big part of their economy are the cruise ships. So, with that said, Roatan is made to be safe but you still have to use caution (like anywhere else). I have been there and I love it there.

Not sure which port you are going into -- that will make somewhat of a difference. Stay in the tourist areas like West Bay. West Bay has one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and it is not to be missed. Tours like Victor Bodden Tours are great... they will take you to see the monkey zoo and to West Bay. There are also other tour groups. We like to take a personal taxi driver for the day and go to West Bay. There is a thread around here that also has pictures and more suggestions.

We were in Roatan 3/4/2015 & took a tour with Victor Bodden. It was a good tour, but really liked the West Bay Beach. It was crowded with tourist...4 ships in port that day. Didn't have a problem with finding lounge chairs or a table.

Had some very strong drinks (unlike the cruise ship drinks) & grilled chicken with rice & beans.

We didn't venture out of the tourist areas.

We were in Roatan 3/4/2015 & took a tour with Victor Bodden. It was a good tour, but really liked the West Bay Beach. It was crowded with tourist...4 ships in port that day. Didn't have a problem with finding lounge chairs or a table.

Had some very strong drinks (unlike the cruise ship drinks) & grilled chicken with rice & beans.

We didn't venture out of the tourist areas.

Just curious if you were on one of the NCL ships and if one of those tendered into Coxen Hole?

We were there on the 3rd of March and took a tour with Victor Bodden. As we were driving we past several banks that had armed guards outside them. Armed with shotguns and assault rifles. This was definitely something I've never seen before yet I still felt safe. Our guide, Jorge, said crime is bad in the mainland and the bank owners are just being safe in Roatan because that is the way they do it in Honduras. af5b1af654e13a90d19b3ca60f8bf65d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
We were there on the 3rd of March and took a tour with Victor Bodden. As we were driving we past several banks that had armed guards outside them. Armed with shotguns and assault rifles. This was definitely something I've never seen before yet I still felt safe. Our guide, Jorge, said crime is bad in the mainland and the bank owners are just being safe in Roatan because that is the way they do it in Honduras. af5b1af654e13a90d19b3ca60f8bf65d.jpg

That sign is part of Carnival's strategy to keep pax in their shopping corral and beach area. The more pax remain within the corral, the more money Carnival makes.

Last year, there was one reported robbery, when a family drove off by themselves into the furthest part of the island and went down a dirt path or driveway. Made lots of headlines. One robbery. There are more robberies in the USA port area you boarded the ship on to start your cruise.

Another report of a crew member getting assaulted in a bad section of Coxen's Hole, details were sketchy, hinting at a drug deal gone bad.

What a joke. Simply a Carnival ply to keep you within their habitat.

Edited by zqvol

Just got off the NCL Dawn with those ports. I'll post a review soon, but I'm not a huge fan of those ports. My first time to Roatan and I did a snorkel beach excursion with 2 kids while hubby dove with another child. First, the U.S. Coast Guard was anchored, for lack of the correct word, right near port. Not sure why. I got on a bus with an unfriendly driver and as I soon discovered shoddy brakes. Sat down and noticed a pickup truck in front of us with camo wearing men 3-4 in the back bed with machine guns. When we made it to beach guides treated us like cattle, there were assigned security guards to "watch" our stuff and police 5-6 gathered at our beach. The locals didn't seem friendly at all. It's not a place I'll ever go back to even though the reef was gorgeous. It's not better than the Bahamas and I felt safe there. No safeguards with correct sunscreen were made to protect reef and they fed the fish to get them to come.

Beach - I believe you and also believe you went to the wrong part of the island with a bad group. Next time, go over to West Bay and hook up with Bananarama or any other outfit from there. West End is great as well. I love Roatan. My favorite port in the Caribbean.

Just got off the NCL Dawn with those ports. I'll post a review soon, but I'm not a huge fan of those ports. My first time to Roatan and I did a snorkel beach excursion with 2 kids while hubby dove with another child. First, the U.S. Coast Guard was anchored, for lack of the correct word, right near port. Not sure why. I got on a bus with an unfriendly driver and as I soon discovered shoddy brakes. Sat down and noticed a pickup truck in front of us with camo wearing men 3-4 in the back bed with machine guns. When we made it to beach guides treated us like cattle, there were assigned security guards to "watch" our stuff and police 5-6 gathered at our beach. The locals didn't seem friendly at all. It's not a place I'll ever go back to even though the reef was gorgeous. It's not better than the Bahamas and I felt safe there. No safeguards with correct sunscreen were made to protect reef and they fed the fish to get them to come.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Whenever I've gone to Tabyana Beach, there are always personnel who introduce themselves as persons who will watch our belongings and loungers. I'm grateful for this service, so I can snorkel as long as I want or stroll the entire length of West Bay Beach without worrying about leaving my possessions. For a few bucks tip, it's worth it IMO.

BTW, there are armed militia with automatic rifles in New York's Grand Central Station and no New Yorker would avoid going there or other City landmarks because of the military presence. Quite the contrary, NYers appreciate the show of force as a deterrent. Just a different way of looking at things.

I'm spending another week at Infinity Bay Hotel in May and can't wait to get back to this lovely island.

Edited by evandbob

Your report lost all credibility when you talked about the US Coast Guard. The US Coast Guard was not at Roatan. There was probably an Honduran naval vessal, but so what. Naval vessels are around ports all of the time. As far as being treated like cattle, I suspect you went to Tabayana and yes, there are security guards becasue the beach is open to the public, as are almost all Caribbean beaches and it was for your benefit. I have been to Roatan numerous times and have never seen any lifeguards feed teh fish on the north side of the island. As far as sunscreen your comment makes no sense. I have never been to a western Caribbean port and not seen armed men, in fact men armed with automatic rifles are common. They are all military and police, and no they are not friendly, they are working.

It seems to me that this is just an overly sensitive poster.

We feel much safer in Roatan than running around in Nassau.

Edited by zqvol

Yes, we have the U.S. Coast Guard all over Roatan and the Bay Islands. We also have military presence in Honduras. We have four armed vessels in that area to serve as a shield while Honduras fights the drug war (since we are the ones who have created problem with our drug use). As for Roatan, Coxen Hole and the central part of the island can be dangerous. The West Bay area is safer due to the resorts, etc. Just use your head when you travel - like anywhere else. Stay off of the non-paved roads and stick to the main roads.

Edited by BrotherCraig

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back a week ago. Turns out this was our favorite port. We we're looking forward to this port the least because some of the things you mentioned. We got a private driver and a private tour guide which made me nervous at first. Especially after seeing that sign. But they were so friendly and we were very safe, even went to a small animal preserve way off a dirt road and a grocery store. Everyone was wonderful and I never felt threatened. I actually felt less safe in belize.

Just got back a week ago. Turns out this was our favorite port. We we're looking forward to this port the least because some of the things you mentioned. We got a private driver and a private tour guide which made me nervous at first. Especially after seeing that sign. But they were so friendly and we were very safe, even went to a small animal preserve way off a dirt road and a grocery store. Everyone was wonderful and I never felt threatened. I actually felt less safe in belize.

Great to hear it. The east side of the island and Coxen Hole are the places with the issues on Roatan. The west side is pretty safe because they make it safe -- a lot of condos with expats and tourist areas (economy) there. What did you think of West Bay?

The west side is pretty safe because they make it safe -- a lot of condos with expats and tourist areas (economy) there.

That is a bit of a broad statement when an Aussie was shot in West End a few years ago and a American was killed in Sandy Bay for the cash in his wallet.

I don't think it is about location on the island as much as people not respecting the fact that they are on a island off the coast of a third world county with some very desperate people.

With that said there is enough security in West Bay to keep mostly things other than random sneak theft to a minimum.

That is a bit of a broad statement when an Aussie was shot in West End a few years ago and a American was killed in Sandy Bay for the cash in his wallet.

I don't think it is about location on the island as much as people not respecting the fact that they are on a island off the coast of a third world county with some very desperate people.

With that said there is enough security in West Bay to keep mostly things other than random sneak theft to a minimum.

safer than my city. So to me -- pretty safe to visit. The Aussie was living there and made enemies. Terrible tragedy and brutal. I definitely would not live there or try to own a business there -- not currently anyways. I know they just doubled the police force there in the last couple of years and crime dropped.

Edited by BrotherCraig