1pm flight out of Vancouver okay?

GatorMomInNC

I've never cruised out of Vancouver before. We are scheduled to arrive at 7am on 9/22 on the Solstice. For those of you that have done a cruise ending in Vancouver, please give me your input if you think a 1pm flight is okay. Not sure if it matters that the cruise originates in Seattle.

Assuming you'll dock at Canada Place, you'll be able to walk to the Canada Line station in a matter of minutes, and get a train to the airport. However, to where will you be flying? If the US, you'll need to preclear customs at YVR, and that can take a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, please excuse wonky autocorrects.

Assuming you'll dock at Canada Place, you'll be able to walk to the Canada Line station in a matter of minutes, and get a train to the airport. However, to where will you be flying? If the US, you'll need to preclear customs at YVR, and that can take a while.

My kids and I are staying on in Vancouver, but my husband has to fly to Miami for work. I think he would want to be at the airport at least 2.5 hours before the flight, so no later than 10:30?? How long does it take to cab it? When do you think we will actually be able to disembark?

You'll be fine. Just get early debarkation. We got a late debarkation time because we live in YVR and we were off by 10 am and at the airport where we had parked by 10:30. We took the train. You can take a taxi, but on a weekday especially the train is faster. Preclearance at YVR for US customs is also much quicker these days with the automated kiosks.

You'll love the Solstice.

Edited by sunviking90

The Canada Line will be much faster than a cab. Waterfront Station is right around the corner from Canada Place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse wacky auto-correct-induced typos.

Okay, that is a good tip to know. I thought a cab would be faster. The cruise is 11days and he will have been traveling for three weeks total, so he will have some luggage to drag around, so I hope it is a VERY short walk!

Solstice docks at Canada Place on Sept 22, 2015. No worries. The skytrain is a short walk. Make sure to take the airport train and not Brighouse-Richmond. The train is much quicker and cheaper than a taxi. Waterfront station is the beginning of the route so it won't be a standing room only situation.

Solstice docks at Canada Place on Sept 22, 2015. No worries. The skytrain is a short walk. Make sure to take the airport train and not Brighouse-Richmond. The train is much quicker and cheaper than a taxi. Waterfront station is the beginning of the route so it won't be a standing room only situation.

Great, thx for the advice!

We will come in to Vancouver the night before our Hawaii cruise. Does the train run late in the evening ? What would be the stop to get off of when staying at the Shangri La Hotel ?

It runs until about 1:00 a.m. and you would want to get off Vancouver City Centre station. You are only a few minutes' walk away from the station.

We will come in to Vancouver the night before our Hawaii cruise. Does the train run late in the evening ? What would be the stop to get off of when staying at the Shangri La Hotel ?

This has been answered already but I thought I would add a link so you can see where this station is. There is a surcharge of $5pp when you travel from the airport. Enjoy your stay.

http://thecanadaline.com/station-guides/vancouver-city-centre-station/#.VQMT7o4oFck

We've also got a 1:00 pm flight home to LAX on Air Canada...

I've been going back and forth on whether to get a cab or to use the train...

Assuming we go with the train, it appears that we walk from the start of the pier up Howe Street one block, then make a left on Cordova, walk about a block or two and the station will be on our left...

We can then use a credit card to pay at the automated machines--$4 for a 2 Zone ticket each...We then look for a train that reads, on the front "YVR AIRPORT"...

We get off at the end of the line...which, If I read the maps correctly, looks like it is very near the US flights check-in (though I recall reading somewhere that if it's on Air Canada, we can also check in where it says "Domestic Flights"...is this correct?)

We've also got a 1:00 pm flight home to LAX on Air Canada...

I've been going back and forth on whether to get a cab or to use the train...

Assuming we go with the train, it appears that we walk from the start of the pier up Howe Street one block, then make a left on Cordova, walk about a block or two and the station will be on our left... I think it is a very short block to the entrance of the station.

We can then use a credit card to pay at the automated machines--$4 for a 2 Zone ticket each...We then look for a train that reads, on the front "YVR AIRPORT"...

We get off at the end of the line...which, If I read the maps correctly, looks like it is very near the US flights check-in (though I recall reading somewhere that if it's on Air Canada, we can also check in where it says "Domestic Flights"...is this correct?)

Air Canada YVR to LAX is not considered domestic. You will check in at the USA check-in area because all US flights pre clear customs at YVR.

This map might help

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/yvr_map.html

A 1 pm flight is fine.

However, customs can be very very long.

So, arrive at the airport at least by 10am, which should not be a problem.

Earlier is better.

Celebrity will ask you what time your flight is, so you will be placed in one of the earliest disembarkation groups.

Personally, I would not be messing with a train.

Get in a cab and go!

I live in Vancouver and would take the Skytrain over a cab. Skytrain runs about every 5 minutes to YVR.

Me too. Every second train is for YVR, the wait won't be long.

I live in Vancouver and would take the Skytrain over a cab. Skytrain runs about every 5 minutes to YVR.

I agree. I have heard of horrendous long lines for taxis at Canada Place. hardly any wait for the train. Plus, it's way cheaper!

Thanks everyone.

I just booked the flight. I ended up booking not only for my husband but for myself and my 2 sons - we are all on the first leg of the flight together, then he heads to Miami and we head home to Raleigh.

I may end up taking a cab to the train, if that makes sense. We will have been traveling for 3 weeks and I expect us each to have a large suitcase and a carryon. Plus, my mom may end up flying with us, and she will be 82 years old and even with her walker she can't walk 2 city blocks (which is what it sounds like).

So if it would be quicker to take the train, we would take a cab to the train station. Or maybe just keeping on going to the airport? I just don't want to spend a fortune and end up getting their late anyway.

Disney has a service where they will check your bags for you - take them the last night of the cruise, check them for you and you see them when you get home. Does Celebrity do that? I didn't book the flight with them...

If there are 4 of you and possibly 5, then a taxi is the way to go. We have never done this obviously, but I think others say the fare is around $30. There might be a surcharge for extra bags or maybe that is included in the $30. It would be pointless to take a taxi to the station since it is so close.

If there are 4 of you and possibly 5, then a taxi is the way to go. We have never done this obviously, but I think others say the fare is around $30. There might be a surcharge for extra bags or maybe that is included in the $30. It would be pointless to take a taxi to the station since it is so close.

I was thinking maybe we should do taxi, but I am concerned about the time, more than the cost.

Would you be able to do express debarkation? That is, taking your own bags off the ship. Those people are first off, first to get the cabs etc. You could be off by 8AM providing the ship has been cleared without any problems. I think there would be plenty of time to get to YVR in a cab if you did this. I think if you arrive at YVR by 10AM, you will have plenty of time.

However, if you are afraid the taxi won't get you there in time, you could always rethink the skytrain at Waterfront station. It is a 5 min walk from the pier. Celebrity usually docks on the east side of Canada Place which is the closest to the station. Google "Howe Street and Canada Place to Waterfront Station" and you should get a map which will show you how close the station is. How mobile is your Mom? Also Kids 5 - 13 yrs and adults 65+ get concession fares. Once you get on the train it is a 26 min ride to YVR. HTH.