Cyclone Olwyn Radiance and Crystal Serenity of the Seas

Cyclone Olwyn is heading south over Carnarvon and Geraldton due for a visit early in the morning. Perth is due for high winds and heavy rain tomorrow morning.

Radiance of the Seas is in Geraldton today and according to the West Australian newspaper has had to be positioned much closer in to the harbour.

Radiance is due in Freo tomorrow morning, with Crystal Serenity due to leave Fremantle this evening bound for Singapore.

Could be a bumpy night for all aboard.

Picture of Radiance in Geraldton this morning is posted below.

ggu_radiance_docks_1ag4lgf-1ag4lj8.jpg

This is not the first time Radiance has gone right into Geraldton harbour. When we visited on Nov 4 last year, the captain said the seas were too rough for tendering from the normal anchorage position and he implemented his "Plan B" which turned out to take the ship right into the harbour - without actually docking, just remaining in position - and then tendering passengers ashore.

From details on the AIS website it looks like this is the case again today.

Depending on far south the cyclone has moved it may well be a bumpy ride down to Perth.

Crystal Serenity is listed on AIS as bound for Albany and Astor (also in Fremantle today) is listed as headed for Geographe Bay - i.e. both are going South so should escape the worst weather.

Crystal Serenity due to leave Fremantle this evening bound for Singapore

Crystal Serenity is bound for Mauritius - not Singapore (and their last port of call before Freemantle was Albany so I doubt they are sailing back there)

That is en route to Cape Town as part of the World Cruise 2015

I have friends on board so will ask them how it goes overnight

Edited by Bodogbodog

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDW60281.shtml

This is Cyclone Olwyn Forecast Track Map as at 4.00pm 13/3.

Serenity is lucky that it is heading west tonight.

I wonder whether Radiance will delay their departure south.

this is from the West Australia:

The cruise ship Radiance of the Seas is forced to dock close to the harbour at the Geraldton Port as Cyclone Owlyn approaches from the north.

"There is particular concern for Geraldton, which has not seen a cyclone since Cyclone Hazel in 1979,”

The cyclone is expected through Geraldton around 4.00 am - reducing in strength. It will continue down the coast.

At this time - it is raining in Perth - no winds - so something must be happening up Geraldton way. (This bit is from me - not the paper :p)

Edited by dizzy1948