Ship time

lita24

We have been on Caribbean cruises when they don't switch over to port time. Not sure why but I think its to do with the fallowing ports times and they don't want to keep changing time back and forth. Pay attention and there will be a note on your bed if they are changing time that night. I have also been in ports where one cruise ship switches to port time and our princess ship stayed on ships time. There is also usually a sign when you leave the ship stating the time the ship is on.

I don't know if this adds clarity or confusion, but cruisett.com lists the times in port.

I would think that these would be local times, but maybe they just pull it from what the cruise lines say for arrival and departure times. Anyone know for sure? (If you had a specific case of when ship time and port time were different, we could easily check to see what it said).

Thanks!

Our last cruise was in nov. of 2014. We were in St. Maarten on Nov.18. Ships time was 1 hour difference. Sorry I can't remember whether it was forward or behind. I was talking with some people from another cruise ship and asked when they were leaving. Thats when we figured out they had switched to port time sometime during there cruise and we were 1 hour out from there time. People should stop telling others that the ship is always on port time. They are not. It's been said here enough that sometimes they switch and sometimes they don't. If you haven't experienced it you will I'm sure.

What time is on the ship? Sailing on Caribbean Princess need to know if the ship time is diferrent than the port time (Grand Cayman), the tour reservation is for 8:00.
Reputable local tour companies know what time the ship is arriving and what time is reasonable for a tour with ship passengers. 8am sounds awfully early. The ship has to anchor, send a tender to shore, set up shore operations and then start tendering. The first passengers ashore will be on Princess tours with a few of the first people to get a tender ticket. It can take up to half an hour from the time you board the tender until you're ashore. Don't forget to plan to be back at the pier an hour and a half before sailing to allow for delays.

Never use a tour company that requires pre-payment that's non-refundable. It's not unusual for ships to miss Grand Cayman due to weather.

If port time is different from ship time there should be a large notice in plain view when you disembark.

There will be a clock at the ship's exit....make note of the time and set your WATCH to whatever the ship's clock says. That is the ONLY time that matters!

The clock when you leave the ship (and the notice in the Patter) is of no help to the OP who is trying to book a tour long before the voyage.

OP does not say what time the ship is scheduled to arrive so even if the time is the same on shore, we cannot tell the OP if he/she can tender to shore on time.

The clock when you leave the ship (and the notice in the Patter) is of no help to the OP who is trying to book a tour long before the voyage.

OP does not say what time the ship is scheduled to arrive so even if the time is the same on shore, we cannot tell the OP if he/she can tender to shore on time.

...and the OP needs to know that passengers with Princess excursions will be given priority tendering (as will Elites), so it might be somewhat later after tendering begins that the OP can get ashore. Unless, of course, the OP is Elite.