Room number requested at dinner seating

earnied

We are on the Royal and each night at anytime dinner the waiter has requested a room number from each couple. He states he does not know why. There have been cases of Noro virus which may have something to do with it. We have never had to give a room number at dinner before, any ideas?

We have been asked for our room number in the past. I always thought it was to be sure we were assigned to anytime. It seems that ,at times, people who are assigned to traditional go to the anytime dining room.

We have been asked for our room number in the past. I always thought it was to be sure we were assigned to anytime. It seems that ,at times, people who are assigned to traditional go to the anytime dining room.

There's nothing wrong with that.

There are a number of good reasons to occasionally use anytime dining.

The head waiters were likely just taking a survey.

[/b]

As someone who only books anytime dining, I do think it is wrong for traditional diners to use it. Space has been allocated to them in the traditional dining room; they shouldn't be taking away tables (availability) from those of us who chose anytime dining. I am convinced that contributes to the sometimes long lines and wait times with anytime dining so I really do hope they are checking to ensure everyone is using their assigned dining room - and that it spreads to all the ships in the fleet.

It seems that ,at times, people who are assigned to traditional go to the anytime dining room.

I strongly disagree! Traditional diners opting to dine in anytime dining rooms are causing long wait times for those of us who have selected anytime dining.

There are a number of dining venues, other than anytime dining rooms, available for traditional diners who do not wish to dine at their assigned time in the MDR.

Lew

As someone who only books anytime dining, I do think it is wrong for traditional diners to use it. Space has been allocated to them in the traditional dining room; they shouldn't be taking away tables (availability) from those of us who chose anytime dining. I am convinced that contributes to the sometimes long lines and wait times with anytime dining so I really do hope they are checking to ensure everyone is using their assigned dining room - and that it spreads to all the ships in the fleet.

[/b]

I would wholeheartedly agree with capriccio on this one. If you want to enjoy the flexibility of Anytime Dining than do so - make AD your regular dining option and don't go back and forth. You can always go to the buffet, a speciality restaurant, to IC or room service if you don't want to go to your designated dining option on a particular night which is certainly your choice - but that doesn't mean taking up someone elses seat in another designated dining room. The folks in Anytime can't do this going the other way, why should you?

Exactly to reason to ask your cabin #.

We always chose Anytime and have always been asked .

[/b]

There is something wrong with that and you aren't suppose to do it. You make your choice, Anytime or Fixed Traditional. When you can't make your fixed you can go to the specialty restaurant or the buffet. It would make the anytime very crowded for those of us that choose it. If it was the way you suggest, everyone could picked Fixed and only go when it was convenient.

If you were asked for your room number after you have been seated it would not be to check for TD diners, that would happen at the entrance. I can't imagine they would ask someone to get up and leave. On the CB in Feb. we were at the front of the line waiting for a table and I overheard the headwaiter tell the hostess to start checking cards as he thought TD people might be using the AT dining room. In the past we have been asked for our room number after being seated and I was under the impression that it was to record any tips that might be left against a room number.

We have had anytime dining on P&O who are also part of Carnival and have always been asked for cabin number

On a recent caribbean cruise one night when we arrived at the DR we were told we shouldnt be there because we had a speciality restaurant reservation ( we had actually changed it to the following day) so they are checking.

I think this is quite normal on most cruiselines as its been the same on Celebrity when we have been with them.

CORRECT!! :mad: We usually choose Anytime but on certain sailings might choose Traditional. In any case, what we choose is what we do. Nobody has a right to arbitrarily go to the other choice on a whim. There are simply too many other alternatives on a Princess ship! (I wonder what the Traditional diners would do if some Anytime diners insisted on taking their table in Traditional! Same thing.)

[/b]

As you know by now, that view is not generally well received. In fact, going into the anytime dining room at your convince is rather rude. You are displacing people who cannot go into traditional to take the space you are vacating.

It is also quite annoying for anytime passengers to have to wait because their dining room is occupied by traditional diners who think like you.

If you want flexibility sign up for anytime. Otherwise stay out!!!

[/b]

You won't be in the majority with that opinion, I'll wager. Are there a number of good reasons to use traditional dining instead of the anytime dining you signed up for? "Hi. We usually use anytime, but tonight we thought we would like to sit at this table by the window in traditional, so you need to move, people who were assigned this table."

[/b]

So you and I both pay the exactly the same for our ticket, you chose Traditional, I choose Anytime. One evening you want to change for some reason,perhaps you want to dine earlier, so you think it's fine to go to Anytime. I go to Anytime as usual, find there's a queue (probably because of people like you who shouldn't be there), but there's a Traditional seating due to start soon, so I go along to the Traditional dining room at the appropriate time and ask to be seated in one of the empty seats left by diners who've gone elsewhere that night. Do you think they'd let me? I don't think so. Why should Traditional diners think they should have more options than Anytime diners?

Edited by aquilegia

I was going to respond, but everyone else took care of it.

We had a couple at our traditional table that didn't come one night. Next night they were there, and they missed the next. When they showed up again, someone asked where they'd been, just to make conversation. The response was that if they didn't feel like dining at 6, they just went to anytime. When we all said that wasn't right, the husband said they paid for their cruise, and they could eat where they wanted.

I don't think some of the traditional diners don't realize they are displacing those who have a right to be in anytime, but I guarantee some do, and don't care.

Make your choice and stick to it, guys.

I hate piling on here, but choosing TD does not entitle you to use anytime dining as well. Those who choose anytime should never have to wait because anytime tables have been taken by traditional time diners. If you don't want to attend TD there are several other options, but ATD should never be one of them.

I am thrilled to hear that Princess is actually asking for cabin numbers in AD. In all of our Princess cruises (all with AD) I don't ever recall being asked for our cabin number upon entrance to the dining room. The past few cruises we have experienced waits that are way beyond what we considered to be reasonable. I hope Princess has been following along on these boards and realizes that there is a real problem with traditional diners in AD and has decided to finally address this issue.

Just to add to the confusion, it is not uncommon for the wait staff to ask for you stateroom number, especially if tips are involved. They are checking against a list to see if the auto tip has been removed. It makes a difference, I believe, as to how the tips are handled.

I am thrilled to hear that Princess is actually asking for cabin numbers in AD. In all of our Princess cruises (all with AD) I don't ever recall being asked for our cabin number upon entrance to the dining room. The past few cruises we have experienced waits that are way beyond what we considered to be reasonable. I hope Princess has been following along on these boards and realizes that there is a real problem with traditional diners in AD and has decided to finally address this issue.

They don't need your cabin number to check your dining option. It is printed on the cruise card.

[/b]

There are a number of good reasons to occasionally use anytime dining..

Really??? A number of good reasons for traditional to occasionally use anytime? What "good reasons"? I can't think of any...

Edited by Shelly97060

I've booked anytime many times and going after 8 pm the dining room is pretty empty. I could see anytime being opened to anyone after 8 if that is a nightly occurrance.

Really??? A number of good reasons for traditional to occasionally use anytime? What "good reasons"? I can't think of any...

Well, for the reasons that he should have taken anytime dining in the first place..."got back late from a tour and missed our regular time"..."had a nap and slept too late to make our dining time"..."met a couple and decided to join them in anytime because they could not get into traditional"....

etc...etc....etc....

Note that none of them are "good" reasons.....

We were on the Star last month, we had AD and no one ever asked to see our card. There were some long lines also. We had to wait in line one night as the culinary crew danced around the room like they do, and then we were handed a beeper to wait some more. Total wait was about 45 minutes.:(

Edited by Buck Turgidson