Chips at blue iguana cantina

Carol Jones

My family and I were on the liberty last summer and we really enjoyed the blue iguana cantina. However, we really found our selves wanting some tortilla chips to go with all the wonderful salsa. We are going on the breeze this summer and I was wondering if anyone knows if they now have chips at the blue iguana cantina? If not I think I'll take some.

They do not.:mad::mad:

I know it was one of John Heald's FB quickfire Sunday questions a while back.

I have read of people bringing their own.

I'm afraid if I tried that, I would end up with a bag of crumbs.:D:D

For anyone wanting to bring some tortilla chips along but afraid they will be crushed, Pringles now has tortilla chips in the canister. I have tried them and they are quite good. I would think that the cans would be rather easy to pack. Our local Publix is selling them for around $1.75 per can.... not bad for the convenience.

http://www.pringles.com/en_US/products/tortillas/truly-original.html

That's just ironic.....

Ships with the regular grill have chips

Ships with updated with Blue Iguana (and Guy's) don't have chips.

This is just my guess as to why BI does not offer tortilla chips and the ships that have the grill area do........ The BI has salsa's that are offered as toppings or condiments. They are set-out in small fish-bowl type serving devices. They have several types to select from but they are not in over abundance. Plenty enough for a scoop to top a burrito or taco but not nearly enough for someone to start using them to top an entire plate of tortilla chip..... if this were the case then they would have quite the time trying to keep the supply refilled.

On the ships with the grills, the tortilla chips are located next to toppings such as cheese sauce , sour cream , salsa etc...... these toppings are easy to refill and specifically intended for that purpose.

This is just my guess as to why the chips are not offered at the BI.

If someone can offer a pic of the glass servings bowls at the BI, it may give others a better idea of how the toppings are offered.

This is just my guess as to why BI does not offer tortilla chips and the ships that have the grill area do........ The BI has salsa's that are offered as toppings or condiments. They are set-out in small fish-bowl type serving devices. They have several types to select from but they are not in over abundance. Plenty enough for a scoop to top a burrito or taco but not nearly enough for someone to start using them to top an entire plate of tortilla chip..... if this were the case then they would have quite the time trying to keep the supply refilled.

On the ships with the grills, the tortilla chips are located next to toppings such as cheese sauce , sour cream , salsa etc...... these toppings are easy to refill and specifically intended for that purpose.

This is just my guess as to why the chips are not offered at the BI.

If someone can offer a pic of the glass servings bowls at the BI, it may give others a better idea of how the toppings are offered.

You are correct. The bowls of salsa are sized and serviced to be toppings not for chips and dip size. The lack of chips on Blue Iguana ships is not ironic; it seems to be a very conscious choice to keep the salsas available for the tacos and such.

Edited by natty bumppo

I bring my own large bag of chips in a carryon and they are never crushed. I also bring small ziploc bags so I can bring the right amount of chips to lunch instead of carrying my huge bag around the ship.

The reason I bring them is because I have to eat gluten free and that's not too much fun at the buffets. With the Blue Iguana and my chips, I'm happy.

• 2 months later...

Hmm, the new FAQ on Carnival's website says they do have chips...

"The BlueIguana Cantina is a complimentary poolside dining destination that offers freshly made burritos (breakfast burritos in the morning) and tacos on homemade tortillas along with a variety of salsas and toppings. Hungry guests can also watch the tortilla maker create fresh wheat and jalapeño tortillas, then enjoy three types of tacos with a variety of toppings, and three kinds of burritos with fantastic fillings, plus chips and salsa."

Let us know if anyone can actually prove this one way or another...

We have brought on an unopened bag of chips for years..never a problem with them getting smashed. We also bring along a couple small tupperware containers and mix up our salsa in them and store in our frig for a wonderful little treat on our balcony late night or as we get ready for dinner. Now if could just squeeze our margarita machine into our carryon!! :p

This is so crazy. My nephew eats tortilla chips and cheese dip almost exclusively (remember, not my child!) We are going with them on his first cruise next year. While on Fantasy last month, I noticed the chips and cheese dip and thought how this little guy will be in heaven! But we are sailing Sunshine! Is there really no chips and dip on this ship? I have only sailed Fantasy class and it didn't occur to me that B I wouldn't have chips and dip or that ships with BI and Guys wouldn't have a regular grill!

I dont understand them not having some tortilla chips at Blue Iguana. Preferably they should be freshly cooked, but I would even be happy with commercially prepared ones. They would be so good with some of those salsas.

We have brought on an unopened bag of chips for years..never a problem with them getting smashed. We also bring along a couple small tupperware containers and mix up our salsa in them and store in our frig for a wonderful little treat on our balcony late night or as we get ready for dinner. Now if could just squeeze our margarita machine into our carryon!! :p

Only if I can bring my coffee maker! :D

Do they not have a ?Mexican? night on these other ships? (I'm not sure if that's actually what it was called, I would have to look it up on our schedule). We were just on the Pride in April and they had a night with different types of salsa with different types of chips and it was awesome! I know it wasn't daily or whenever you wanted it, but it was still better than nothing. :D

P4080101%20%282%29%20copy-M.jpg

P4080102%20%282%29%20copy-M.jpg

P4080103%20%282%29%20copy-M.jpg

P4080104%20%282%29%20copy-M.jpg

mitsugirly, that is definitely different than how it was done on the Breeze. The salsas were in glass fishbowls sat at an angle. I don't recall a Mexican buffet, although they did a chocolate one.

They did serve "tortilla chips" when SeaDogs was offered where Comfort Kitchen is located on port days. I put quotes around it, as they were very thin strips. There was cheese sauce next to them and I believe salsa, but I won't swear to the salsa. As a chip for dipping, it would have been extremely inadequate. There were very thin, more as a garnish for a plate than anything else.

For anyone wanting to bring some tortilla chips along but afraid they will be crushed, Pringles now has tortilla chips in the canister. I have tried them and they are quite good. I would think that the cans would be rather easy to pack. Our local Publix is selling them for around $1.75 per can.... not bad for the convenience.

http://www.pringles.com/en_US/products/tortillas/truly-original.html

I always take Pringles on my cruise! The can protects the chips. Carnival's food offerings are sadly lacking in salty snacks.

Edited by winddawn