Choice air "refundable with fees"

ptrpanpens

Does anyone know what happens if you cancel a choice air fare that states "refundable with fees" rather than "non refundable"? I would like to hear from someone who has actually had to cancel one of these fares and how much they were refunded. Also, do they actually refund the balance after the "fees" or must you apply it to another fare on the same airline, like the airlines require.

Will choice air put the amount and terms of the refundable fee provision in writing? they dont put anything else in writing so I am skeptical.:confused:

I cancelled a fare a few months ago. The fee was $175 US, and the remaining fare went back to my credit card. I was expecting an airline credit, so I was surprised when I actually got a refund (minus the fee).

But... I had to cancel the cruise, also. I wanted to keep my cruise booking, just in case. It was well before final payment. When I called ChoiceAir to cancel the airfare, they sent me back to Royal (or whoever I booked with - I don't remember now) to cancel the cruise and the airfare at the same time. The credit card statement was broken down into lots of bits, so I had to do lots of basic addition and subtraction to make sure it all added up correctly.

PS - beautiful avatar kitty!

Edited by SnowshoeCat

Thanks. I assume this was an international flight? I usually book air very late so the only way I would cancel would be if I were canceling the cruise. I never book air before final payment. I have gotten some excellent deals by procrastinating.

Yes, trans-Atlantic. I don't remember the details, or the actual sequence of events. I booked the cruise a year ahead (something I never do, but got a great solo fare), then kept checking airfares. Then I started having second thoughts about the cruise. Meanwhile the airfares were yo-yoing, so I decided to grab a fare that seemed reasonable, hoping that would decide the cruise for me. Don't hurt yourself trying to follow my logic. I ended up canceling, anyway.

In most cases, the cruiseline flight department collects your money and only provides a reservation. They do not actually pull tickets from their inventory until 2-6 weeks before the travel date. Until you're ticketed and have ticket numbers, Cruise Air holds your money but hasn't purchased anything. (Read the sticky at the top of this forum if you haven't already)

"Refundable with fees" essentially means the cruise line sits on your money, and charges a fee to return it to you. Since tickets were never issued and you're cruise air's customer anyway (not the airline's), the airline has no involvement whatsoever. Hence, the net refund you receive has no strings attached.

Just an explanation of how it works so you're an informed consumer...whether it's better or worse than a non-refundable ticket directly purchased from the airline is of course, up to you.

In most cases, the cruiseline flight department collects your money and only provides a reservation. They do not actually pull tickets from their inventory until 2-6 weeks before the travel date. Until you're ticketed and have ticket numbers, Cruise Air holds your money but hasn't purchased anything. (Read the sticky at the top of this forum if you haven't already)

"Refundable with fees" essentially means the cruise line sits on your money, and charges a fee to return it to you. Since tickets were never issued and you're cruise air's customer anyway (not the airline's), the airline has no involvement whatsoever. Hence, the net refund you receive has no strings attached.

Just an explanation of how it works so you're an informed consumer...whether it's better or worse than a non-refundable ticket directly purchased from the airline is of course, up to you.

Every Choice Air we have used, we have been ticketed (with ticket #'s). Our last flight was in Oct on BA YVR to EDI booked & paid 8 months out from our cruise. Our friends used a package deal (cruise + air) and their air was included in the final pay't and only then did they find out their flights. That also went through Choice Air. Two different methods to book air. I would never do the latter

Every Choice Air we have used, we have been ticketed (with ticket #'s). Our last flight was in Oct on BA YVR to EDI booked & paid 8 months out from our cruise. Our friends used a package deal (cruise + air) and their air was included in the final pay't and only then did they find out their flights. That also went through Choice Air. Two different methods to book air. I would never do the latter

Absolutely - there are two very, very different ways that it is done. And I think it's critical to know which one you are getting yourself in to. Ask questions when you book. If you don't mind not having a ticket until the last minute, that's fine. But be aware and knowledgeable of what's going on.

Every Choice Air we have used, we have been ticketed (with ticket #'s).
Do you actually mean a ticket number, with 13 digits?

I ask because many people get a 5-character or 6-character booking reference and think it's a ticket number. But it isn't. You don't have a ticket until you have a 13-digit number.

Do you actually mean a ticket number, with 13 digits?

I ask because many people get a 5-character or 6-character booking reference and think it's a ticket number. But it isn't. You don't have a ticket until you have a 13-digit number.

Yes. I've always received the ticket number and the Booking Reference number.

• 2 months later...

Cancelled our RC cruise due to a medical issue (5 months away). We paid $406.20 per ticket that went through Choice Air. When I called Delta to find out how much credit we have they gave the amount and said there is a $250 change fee + $50 misc fees per ticket. Ridiculous.

Edited by CruisingtheHardWay

Cancelled our RC cruise due to a medical issue (5 months away). We paid $406.20 per ticket that went through Choice Air. When I called Delta to find out how much credit we have they gave the amount and said there is a $250 change fee + $50 misc fees per ticket. Ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? You bought a cheap ticket, and in exchange for that cheap ticket, there were various rules and restrictions attached to the ticket. If you wanted a fully refundable ticket, it was likely available...at a price.