Miami Port to Ft Lauderdale Port

dmdj232

Hello All, any help would be greatly appreciated!! We are considering taking a 7-Day Eastern Caribbean Cruise on Norwegian Getaway from Miami departing on Aug. 22 and returning on Aug. 29th. On the day we return we would like to then drive to Ft Lauderdale and jump on RCL Oasis of The Seas for a 7-day Western Caribbean. According to Norwegians website we should be returning to Miami by 8am on the 29th and according to RCL's website the itinerary states that departure is at 4:30pm on the 29th. Google maps says it takes about 30mins to drive from Miami Port to Ft Lauderdale Port. Has anyone had any experience in doing something like this? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!

P.S. This will be for our Honeymoon

As others have pointed out, it should easily be doable.

Just be aware, ships departure and final boarding are two different things. I believe final boarding is 3:00 or 3:30; whichever it is they are very strict on. You can usually begin boarding around 11:30 a.m.

You will want some sort of transfer or car service....a cab is NOT then way to do this! Too expensive!

Look into SAS Transportation...more reasonable price!!! Or, pick up a one-way rental, leave the ship, get to FLL, find a laundry, and do your clothes for the next leg!

You will not need to rush off the ship in MIA...take your time! You have more than enough time to get to FLL!

Edited by cb at sea

You will want some sort of transfer or car service....a cab is NOT then way to do this! Too expensive!

Look into SAS Transportation...more reasonable price!!! Or, pick up a one-way rental, leave the ship, get to FLL, find a laundry, and do your clothes for the next leg!

You will not need to rush off the ship in MIA...take your time! You have more than enough time to get to FLL!

I thought I read that OP was driving ??

OK GREAT! We def were looking into renting a car. While I'm sure I can do some research on my own, does anyone have any recommendations on where to pickup/drop off the car? Also, as far as laundry is concerned we were debating on doing it the last night of the first trip??

OK GREAT! We def were looking into renting a car. While I'm sure I can do some research on my own, does anyone have any recommendations on where to pickup/drop off the car? Also, as far as laundry is concerned we were debating on doing it the last night of the first trip??

Just an FYI on laundry. RC ships do not have self-service laundry facilities on board, so plan to have your washing done before boarding! They do have a laundry/dry cleaning service, but you have to pay for it. Also, usually mid week there is a "bag of laundry" special - around $30 - good for underwear, t-shirts, etc. it is known as wash/fold only; no pressing.

oh wow...didn't realize that RC doesn't have a self serve laundry facility. I will look into it myself but do you know if Norwegian Getaway has it? We will try to get it done the night before we disembark.

oh wow...didn't realize that RC doesn't have a self serve laundry facility. I will look into it myself but do you know if Norwegian Getaway has it? We will try to get it done the night before we disembark.

None of the NCL ships have self-service laundry facilities.

OK, thank you everyone for your help! Does anyone have any sugestions on hotel stays at Port of Miami for the night before?

Have stayed several times at the Holiday Inn - Port of Miami. It is a big, old, HI property. It is not fancy, but well maintained, has a decent restaurant buffet for breakfast. I think it has been there for ever! Always full of people cruising. Has airport/cruise shuttle, but cab fare is minimal because you are so close (there can be a long line for the shuttle).

Across the street from BaySide Market Place - lots of restaurants, bars, entertainment - makes the hotel a favorite of cruisers.

SAS shuttle has service to FLL airport then a 15.00 cab ride to Port Everglades.

Doesn't SAS also drop at FLL area hotels? If so, they might also drop at FLL port. Seems worth inquiring.

Travel time isn't an issue . . .

Doesn't SAS also drop at FLL area hotels? If so, they might also drop at FLL port. Seems worth inquiring.

Travel time isn't an issue . . .

Several have posted here that the shuttle companies don't do port to port. May be some restrictions on their permits. Check on that and be specific.

You can rent a car in Miami, drive it to the airport in Fort Lauderdale and take the free shuttle to the port.

We used Alamo (summer 2013), they don´t charge extra for leaving the car in Fort Lauderdale.

This year we used Sixt before the cruise and Alamo after the cruise.

Sixt have a free shuttle to the port and their office are close to the port but I personaly think that Alamo had a better customer service.

Edited by Extra Kim