Need help right away - contact number for cruise ship

skopgat

My in-laws are going to be late for their departure (they forgot MIL's insulin) - when I've cruised Carnival there was a number you could call to let them know you were on your way.

Does anyone know if Holland America has such a number? Do you know if I would be able to call it for them?

Thank you!

Gwynn

Contact a Ship / Communication at Sea:1-866-425-7447 (1-866-HAL-SHIP)

Emergency Contact Number: 1-800-628-4771

found those on the website

Edited by 232271

Thanks, I actually found the number but I don't think it will matter. I think they'll be at least 30 minutes late and the agent said they were scheduled to sail on time. Fortunately the next stop is in Cabo (they're sailing from San Diego) so they'll have to fly down there. Not too far.

:(

It probably doesn't help now but the Infirmary certainly would have an emergency supply of insulin you Mom could use for overnight until they reach port. The ship's doctor would give her a prescription to buy Insulin in port tomorrow or whenever their first port. I hope they get lucky somehow and make it to the ship on time.

Will you let us Know, please?

It probably doesn't help now but the Infirmary certainly would have an emergency supply of insulin you Mom could use for overnight until they reach port. The ship's doctor would give her a prescription to buy Insulin in port tomorrow or whenever their first port. I hope they get lucky somehow and make it to the ship on time.

I was wondering if that was possible. Thx for posting that info. It might be helpful for future cruisers.

You're undoubtedly right - and they could have filled a prescription in Cabo.

I'll post back, but I don't think it's very hopeful. If there's any traffic at all they won't make it.

But it's a good reminder for future cruisers!

I don't mean to imply the ship's infirmary would have a supply of every med people take but they certainly have insulin. There is no way any medical facility would have no insulin without some totally rare episode to have occurred.

So sorry for your problems, nothing worse than the anxiety of possibly missing the ship. thank you Sail for the input on Dr. onboard.

My sister forgot meds once and was able to contact her Dr. at home. Script was called into the Walgreens in Fla. and all was well.

On my January cruise I actually ran out of my insulin. I was in the Caribbean and in the port of St. Croix. I went to the pharmacy onshore to get a vial. Hoping that like here in the states they would give it to me without a prescription. Here in the US a prescription is only needed for the syringes that are used. None needed for the actual insulin. Not a problem received the insulin which was sealed and in the same proper packaging for a slight upcharge. I can tell you that when I called the ship's infirmary I was told I would have to see the doctor for a charge and then he would dispense the insulin at another charge.

bob

On my January cruise I actually ran out of my insulin. I was in the Caribbean and in the port of St. Croix. I went to the pharmacy onshore to get a vial. Hoping that like here in the states they would give it to me without a prescription. Here in the US a prescription is only needed for the syringes that are used. None needed for the actual insulin. Not a problem received the insulin which was sealed and in the same proper packaging for a slight upcharge. I can tell you that when I called the ship's infirmary I was told I would have to see the doctor for a charge and then he would dispense the insulin at another charge.

bob

Oh yeah, they have to pay the doctors wages:D.

Thanks, I actually found the number but I don't think it will matter. I think they'll be at least 30 minutes late and the agent said they were scheduled to sail on time. Fortunately the next stop is in Cabo (they're sailing from San Diego) so they'll have to fly down there. Not too far.

:(

Have they cleared with HAL that they would be able to catch up with the ship in Cabo, if they miss the San Diego departure?

They can't just show up without prior approval.

Happy news! They were waiting for them! Phew!!!! I'm so glad I called!

Re: catching up with them in Cabo, I had spoken to the Air and Sail agent and we would have called them back to make the arrangements to get to Cabo. That was his suggestion.

I was very impressed with Holland America's phone customer service. They answered immediately and couldn't have been any nicer. I understand that the agent couldn't tell me that they would hold the ship, but they obviously did. When DH got them to the port they asked, "two people?" "Right this way, no need rush!"

Thanks for the help and advice!

Fantastic....!!!

Re: catching up with them in Cabo, I had spoken to the Air and Sail agent and we would have called them back to make the arrangements to get to Cabo. That was his suggestion.

I was very impressed with Holland America's phone customer service. They answered immediately and couldn't have been any nicer. I understand that the agent couldn't tell me that they would hold the ship, but they obviously did. When DH got them to the port they asked, "two people?" "Right this way, no need rush!"

So sorry for your problems, nothing worse than the anxiety of possibly missing the ship. thank you Sail for the input on Dr. onboard.

My sister forgot meds once and was able to contact her Dr. at home. Script was called into the Walgreens in Fla. and all was well.

Very good point.

Also, If you use one of the national chain pharmacies such as Walgreen's, CVS or Rite Aid. Any prescription you have with them at your home, can be filled in any one of their locations.

If you are on the plane headed to FLL (for example) and realize you forgot a medication, go to the local CVS etc and they will fill it for you. You might have an issue with your insurance but most important is to get your meds.

WHAT GOOD NEWS!! So happy to hear the ship waited.

How late did your parents arrive at the ship?

Edited by sail7seas

I've been following this and have a big grin on my face right now. Thank you for letting us know. I'm SO glad it all worked out for them and I hope they have a great cruise!

bob

It is the opposite in our state of Tennessee and our former state of Missouri. I have bought syringes out of pocket to get thinner shorter needles and did not need a prescription. It is necessary for the insulin--we have used both pens and vials and always need a prescription.

Our son was in a study for a year in which insulin was provided and I wanted to donate old stuff we had (we do 90 day mail order so had a bit) and were told not legal to give to someone else. Our vials say something to that effect.

It could be easy to run out of insulin on a cruise--our son eats way more carbs than at home. We bring doubles of everything.

I am so glad they made it! Hope they relax quickly and enjoy their cruise.

This is why I'm so fond of hal. When the chips are down, they come thru. Glad things worked out for them. Good for you for calling.

That is good to know, but just for reassurance, do you know 100% that this is so? I wonder if they would carry enough to see you through if you have several sea days in a row.

WHAT GOOD NEWS!! So happy to hear the ship waited.

How late did your parents arrive at the ship?

They pulled up dockside at 4:02 p.m. I can see it sailing away now on the webcam! So, an hour and a half late out of port, but I don't think that's just because of my in-laws and their three pieces of luggage. I hope not! :)