Disney vs RCCL with a 2 year old?

mcd_rn

Hi there,

I'm only a second time cruiser, not very familiar with many of the cruise lines. My husband and I were planning a vacation later this spring/early summer with our 2 year old, he is transitioning to a new job and wants to use vacation time between the old and new jobs as to not take a week off early into the next one.

To make a last minute trip easier and limit research/planning, we're looking at 2 cruise options. This is our last vacation before we become a family of four, so we want time to both focus on ourselves and our daughter which is why we landed on either RC or Disney (both have toddler care that would allow us to spend time on our own occasionally, but are primarily kid-focused...so best of both worlds we're hoping?).

I'd love any thoughts comparing the cruise lines, the primary things being the line and/or boats themselves, activities onboard for adults and 2 year olds, and food. I don't really care about itinerary differences since we want to take it easy and not book excursions, do more walking or chilling on a beach or the boat. We'd be either on Disney Wonder or RC Liberty. Room-wise we'd be looking at a veranda on both.

I'm leaning towards Disney because she is far more familiar and interested in the characters than the Dreamworks characters on RC, but Disney is also $1200 more so I'd love to know if it's worth the difference.

Also an add'l question - our previous cruise was Celebrity Solstice to Alaska. Extremely different situation, but I'd also love to know what differences (if any) we should expect in quality of ship, service, food, etc. as we were very impressed with Celebrity (we did get tired of the buffet there, but that was a minor food complaint...overall we are used to quality restaurants and food and I was pleasantly surprised with Celebrity).

Thanks so much in advance!

You might get more information if you post on the Disney and RC boards, also the family boards.

Be careful when checking out programs for a 2-year-old. On RC Adventure Ocean is for children 3 and over, plus children have to be toilet trained (no swim diapers) to use the pool; not sure about the H2O zone - a 2-year-old might be able to use. The Royal Babies/Tots program I think has a charge of aroound $6-$8 per hour.

Two-year-olds are kind of in the middle, so look into that.

Edited by PMcC1998

Thanks for the answers so far! I guess I should have been more clear - the 2 year old's opinion isn't a consideration, I know she won't know the difference. I was just leaning slightly that way since I've heard great things about Disney line and partly I think she'd be more engaged with those characters.

But my questions about comparing cruises are in order to help the decision for the adults - any thoughts about food, service, cabin/ship quality are to help me decide which is a better fit for myself/husband...just with the understanding that she would also be there. If someone said that the Disney nursery was far superior to the Royal Tots program, or vice versa, that would be 1 kid-related part that would tip the scales...but most of the questions I'm asking primarily to determine if the $1200 difference is worth it for the "adult" questions of quality across the board.

Thanks for the advice about other boards for sure - I wasn't sure if I'd get biased answers in the cruise boards, but I'll give Family a shot!

Thank you both! The $1200 is not a deal-breaker, more that I'd want to make sure we'd be getting more value for that money. I really appreciate the response and I will also try some other boards.

[quote name=mcd_rn;45955487

But my questions about comparing cruises are in order to help the decision for the adults - any thoughts about food' date=' service, cabin/ship quality are to help me decide which is a better fit for myself/husband...just with the understanding that she would also be there. If someone said that the Disney nursery was far superior to the Royal Tots program, or vice versa, that would be 1 kid-related part that would tip the scales...but most of the questions I'm asking primarily to determine if the $1200 difference is worth it for the "adult" questions of quality across the board.

Thanks for the advice about other boards for sure - I wasn't sure if I'd get biased answers in the cruise boards, but I'll give Family a shot![/quote]

Thanks for more explanation! The Liberty is a beautiful ship. Have not cruised Disney Wonder, so can't compare. The Liberty is, however, twice the size of the Wonder. The Wonder is also about 8 years older than the Liberty. The size may be of importance to you in terms of amenities.

I think perhaps it may be a question of what do you and your husband enjoy doing. For example, the Liberty has rock climbing wall, ice skating, sports court, etc. The main promenade is unique to RC - some people love the shops, cafe, bars, etc.; others don't like it because they can't see the ocean; a matter of preferences.

On RC Solarium (adults only) pool is very nice, quiet and relaxing.

Always found entertainment to be first class on RC, especially things like the ice show, something you wouldn't see on another line.

I think both Disney and RC have a reputation for beautiful, clean, well-maintained ships. Cabins on Disney might be larger, depending on what you book.

Food is so subjective that I think it is hard to give an honest answer.

Assume you know that Celebrity (your previous cruiseline) is owned by RC.

Which ever you choose, enjoy!

For me 1200.00 can be another vacation for me

You did not mention carnival. Carnival allows 2 year olds in the kids program and they do not need to be potty trained. Counselors change diapers and you get a cell phone in case of emergencies.

I would love to do a disney cruise-- just like my vacations budget a little bit more.

Edited by serene56

Disney does Adult only VERY well..consitently and they ENFORCE it.

Royal, less so,

however the food on our Disney cruise sucked and I really did not like being 'forced' into X dining room on certain days. the theme was rarely anything I was interested in that night

(the specialties however blow Royal out of the water)

as a 2 yo, your child cannot do any Royal programming other than the Nursery so if you do want adult only time, Disney may be a better ooption

I haven't done any RCCL cruises, but I can certainly recommend DCL. The Wonder looks great. I wouldn't worry about its age. Your daughter will have to go to the nursery on DCL which will have a per hour charge and will have extensive hours. You can take her to the Oceanears Club and Lab (which are for 3 yr old minimum) during Open House hours. You will stay with her.

We enjoyed the rotational dining (where you change dining rooms but have the se servers every night). It was nice to see each MDR. Specialty dining is Palo which is strictly 18+ and with a strict dress code. It was fantastic for brunch.

I know everyone says your daughter won't remember the trip, but you will and you will treasure the memories of her excitement (or horror, you never know) at seeing Mickey and Minnie and the princesses and other characters.

I also think DCL is just trouble free in terms of planning. There aren't a lot of extras that you have to consider. Outside of your nursery time, you could easily not spend any more money. I consider the ship the destination with DCL and could easily not get off at a Bahamas port or Castaway Cay if that were the itinerary.

I just want to warn u that not all children like characters....... We didn't find this out until my son was around two.....he was TERRIFIED of anyone/ thing dressed up from the clown selling balloons at the mall to chuckie cheese. ( first time he saw him he dove under the table and refused to come out!!!!) he is 23 now and still thinks it's very strange to dress up..... Needless to say, we have never been to Disney, sigh, maybe with the 2 year old grand baby some day!

I'm not trying to sway u either way, just thought I would tell u of our experience... I know on RCL u could avoid the characters if u had to!

Jacki