BEAUTIFUL SILHOUETTE - East Caribbean - Photo Video Trip Report 3/1/15

FRMPEI

If you have them please post lots of pics of the ship inside. We are on Silhouette in Dec and I want pics for my wallpaper.

I have tons of interior pictures because we did a back to back on Silhouette in 2013. So I can always cheat and takes pics from 2013 if a 2015 doesn't work. If there is a particular picture you want for a wallpaper just let me know I can e-mail you it.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Day 1 - Miami Airport - Walk, Wait, Line Up

Touch down we are finally here in the sunny south... no more snow banks to look at for one whole week. The flight was around 4 hour long and we arrived around 12 noon EST. What comes next is about the only thing I will probably bitch about in this Trip Report. I will say that it was not chaotic just frustrating if you know what I mean? Let me explain.

CS15iK_%25200062-XL.jpg

We landed at a distant gate in some part of the Miami Airport that looked like it was very rarely used. We just keep walking and looking up to follow the signs to US Customs and walking and walking. I swear that we used at least 4-5 moving side walks on the way until we finally reached US customs. Unfortunately I think all the Canadian North Airlines were arriving at the same time along with all the other airport traffic. (Kind of neat to see that Blue tail wing of a 737 with a polar bear on it parked at the Miami Airport.) US citizens and Canadians were directed to use the automated custom machines while others were directed to real US custom agents. We waiting in this line for 10-15 minutes before somebody (with some wisdom) opened up the queue line and directly a large group into the real person US Custom Agent. Thank goodness because the line behind us was only growing larger and we were not even close to the automated machines. I am having flash backs to my roller coaster days when we would wait in line for hours to get that first ride on the new roller coaster.

CS15iN_%25200011-XL.jpg

It just seems to be rare that your custom agent US or Canadian is a real nice person but we did have a really nice US custom agent, Nunez, welcomes us into the US. Still more lines to get out of customs were the person takes your stamped custom form. Get ready because we still have more walking to do to find the carousel with our luggage. No problems finding all our bags. So it is just past 1:00 PM when finally we have our bags and greeted by an elderly friendly RCL employee directing us to yet an other ground transportation line.

CS15iD_%25200031-XL.jpg

Above Nolan giving the all clear "X" sign as we wait in the bus transfer line. Okay so we have been up almost 12 hours and we are hungry. Nolan could not wait and got one of his favourite bars. Nolans say you can't buy Milky Way bars in Canada. I hope he enjoyed it because with conversion that is $5 CDN bar. Yikes!

CS15iN_%25200016-XL.jpg

The RCL staff were handing out numbers and taking about 50 people at a time outside for the 45 minute drive to Port Everglades. Look that is us. we finally made it outside with no white banks around.

CS15HX_%25200018-XL.jpg

I must mention that even though we went from line to line it was never chaotic but, the contrary very well organized... Just frustrating for us weary and hungry travellers.

Donna and I always like to take a Selfie when we finally get our butts into seat of our ground transportation to the Cruise terminal.

CS15HX_%25200027-XL.jpg

Summary: A frustrating couple of hours. My wish would of been to have pre-cleared US Custom in Canada not Miami and at least one hour would have been saved. This is where I think Leaving from Halifax for us would have been a much better choice than leaving from Moncton. These long walks took their toll on some folks older than us especially if they were lugging carryon. This is where my sister made a huge mistake she had way to much carry on that she was lugging as oppose to us who were rolling our carry on. We tried to tell her to travel light but she did not listen. Donna's only carry on was a purse big enough for her iPad mini and other essentials. With that I would have to say I would not leave from Moncton again and would drive the extra 90 minutes to Halifax if we were do this all again next year. Which isn't going to happened because Eclipse is booked for same period next year.

Next up Embarkation

Regards,

Kevin Reid

CS13HX_%25201316-XL.jpg

Day 1 FLL - Embarkation

Ships in Focal Range - Port Everglades

CS15HX_%25200032-XL.jpg

The advantage of arriving at FLL rather than MIA you are 5 minutes from terminal rather than 45 minutes. So I guess it is about time to get into another line up. This time a security check before advancing to the Celebrity registration counter. At this point(actually back in Moncton) I had already realized that I had forgotten to take with me the printed Express Passes. My sister had hers because I printed them for her. But I left ours sitting on the pool table. Security had to check our name against a list and of course created delay at check-in. Completely my fault. So much for thinking I am the seasoned cruise organizer.

CS2015_SPBook_KevNol_Inside-L.jpg

CS2015_SPBook_DonAdam_Inside-L.jpg

So you know it is getting pretty late when you get your Sea Passes in your hand and the ship photographers are already packing up their gear and heading back to the ship. I couldn't even bother to take out the Go Pro and put it on the Go Pole to record our walk onto the ship. Maybe an oversight because I enjoyed the look it created for my Equinox video. Write it off to being so rushed and late. Nolan was able to get a selfie walking up to the ship.

CS15iN_%25200020-XL.jpg

When I finally stepped foot on Silhouette and hand my Seapass over... problem.... Nolan's picture is on my Sea Pass but Nolan's is okay. So I had to show my photo ID from my passport and have my picture retaken there. Not sure it worked because most of the week Nolan was confused for me. Not the best picture below but Michele caught me being held up on Deck 5 entry.

CS15MW_%25200001-XL.jpg

Up Next Celebrity Today etc.

I prefer when composing my Trip Reports is to include the actual photos/scans of Celebrity Todays etc in the body of my posts rather than external links. Personally when I read a Review/Trip Report I don't like to be taken away from the Cruise Critic forum to see such things as a .pdf or scans. If I or you are not interested in the scans of dailies it is easy just to scroll on by. I just don't like to be re-directed outside of cruise critic. Sorry just my opinion.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Day 1 FLL - Sea Pass Booklet Scans

Front & Back

CS2015_SPBook_DonAdam-XL.jpg

Promo Insert Include in Booklet Front

CS2015_SPBook_Insert_1-XL.jpg

Promo Insert Back

CS2015_SPBook_Insert_2-XL.jpg

Booklet Cover

CS2013_InfoCover-XL.jpg

Booklet Foldout Ship Facts

CS2013_InfoFacts-XL.jpg

Booklet Foldout Shops etc

CS2013_InfoBack-XL.jpg

Day 1 FLL - Celebrity Today & Inserts

Front Page 1

CT_Day01_030115_1-XL.jpg

Inside Left Page 2

CT_Day01_030115_2-XL.jpg

Inside Right Page 3

CT_Day01_030115_3-XL.jpg

Back Page 4

CT_Day01_030115_4-XL.jpg

Featured Today Front

CT_Day01_030115_FT1-XL.jpg

Featured Today Back

CT_Day01_030115_FT2-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Day 1 FLL - Celebrity Today Inserts

In the Spotlight (Senior Staff)

The best looking captain at sea Emmanouil Alevropoulos. My God this guys is good looking.

CT_Day01_030115_InTheSpotlight-XL.jpg

In the Spotlight Back

CT_Day01_030115_Info-XL.jpg

Select Dining Info

CT_Day01_030115_SelectDining-XL.jpg

Concierge Cabin Welcome Letter

CT_Day01_030115_ConciergeWelcome-XL.jpg

Price Match Guarantee

CT_Day01_030115_ShopOnB_1-XL.jpg

Reasons to Shop Onboard

CT_Day01_030115_ShopOnB_2-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Day 1 FLL - Captain's Club Coupons (Elite & Classic)

This would be our (Donna & Kevin's) first cruise as Elite Captain's club members. This is the boys second cruise so they are Classic Captain's Club members. We used a couple of the coupons so I was not able to scan so I took the best picture I could get. The Elite must be valuable because they come in a separate envelope while the Classic coupon are just left on the bed. LOL!

The Elite Coupon Addressed Envelopes

CS2015_EliteCouponEnv-XL.jpg

Elite Captain's Club Coupon Letter Front

CT_Day01_030115_CC_Elite_1-XL.jpg

Elite Captain's Club Coupon Letter Back

CT_Day01_030115_CC_Elite_2-XL.jpg

Elite Coupons (sorry bad photo)

CS15HX_%25200163-XL.jpg

So which one did we use?

1) Laundry

2) Internet

3) Gelato

Classic Captain's Club Coupon Letter (only needed one side)

CT_Day01_030115_CC_Classic-XL.jpg

Classic Captain's Club Coupons (sorry bad photo)

CS15HX_%25200170-XL.jpg

Only used the Gelato on the Classic Sheet.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Day 1 FLL - Celebrity Today Inserts

In the Spotlight (Senior Staff)

The best looking captain at sea Emmanouil Alevropoulos. My God this guys is good looking.

CT_Day01_030115_InTheSpotlight-XL.jpg

In the Spotlight Back

CT_Day01_030115_Info-XL.jpg

Select Dining Info

CT_Day01_030115_SelectDining-XL.jpg

Concierge Cabin Welcome Letter

CT_Day01_030115_ConciergeWelcome-XL.jpg

Price Match Guarantee

CT_Day01_030115_ShopOnB_1-XL.jpg

Reasons to Shop Onboard

CT_Day01_030115_ShopOnB_2-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I'm glad you post these things. It's nice to know who the cruise director and such might be on my cruise.

What time did your plane land in Miami and do recall what time was it when you finally arrived at the Celebrity port? Or what time you actually stepped foot on the ship? We will not have customs to clear as we are lucky to be able to do it here in Halifax but trying to get a sense of time from plane to ship.

Loving your review.

Edited by poffles

What time did your plane land in Miami and do recall what time was it when you finally arrived at the Celebrity port? Or what time you actually stepped foot on the ship? We will not have customs to clear as we are lucky to be able to do it here in Halifax but trying to get a sense of time from plane to ship.

Loving your review.

I do remember it taking us almost two hours by the time we had actually step outside of the airport waiting for the shuttle to FLL, plus about a 45min drive.

So it was like 3 hours from Gate to Ship.

I do not really remember any of the times, and also everything was still set on AST when we landed for me.

Lucky cruisers! I see that Richard Spacey was your cruise director. We were lucky enough to have him on Oasis of the Seas a few years ago. He is without a doubt the best cruise director on any line. Here's hoping he "jumps ship" and ends up on Solstice next year...wishful thinking!

Enjoying your review.

Susan

I do remember it taking us almost two hours by the time we had actually step outside of the airport waiting for the shuttle to FLL, plus about a 45min drive.

So it was like 3 hours from Gate to Ship.

I do not really remember any of the times, and also everything was still set on AST when we landed for me.

Thanks, just trying to get my head into accepting not being on the ship earlier in the day to settle in before the sail away. That's the only part of the charter that I'm going to mind as we usually arrive night before and 'run' to the ship as early as possible the day of sailing ... oh well.

Really enjoying your trip report and looking forward to the rest. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for you comment. Yes! Still lots of stuff to follow.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I'm glad you post these things. It's nice to know who the cruise director and such might be on my cruise.

You are welcome. If the piece of paper came into our room... I have it and I scanned it.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Thank you for posting, we are Royal cruisers and did not know what to expect on Celebrity as it is some time since we were on one,:D:D

You are welcome. We have not tried Royal yet. Maybe some day.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Loving your review.

We arrived at or near 12 noon EST then 2 hours to get out side for transfer. 45 minute ride to Port Everglades. It was a few minutes past 3:OO Pm before we set foot on Silhouette.

Halifax means you are on Reflection and leaving from Miami and if you plane leaves on time maybe just after 1:00 PM for you. Keep your fingers crossed.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Lucky cruisers! I see that Richard Spacey was your cruise director. We were lucky enough to have him on Oasis of the Seas a few years ago. He is without a doubt the best cruise director on any line. Here's hoping he "jumps ship" and ends up on Solstice next year...wishful thinking!

Enjoying your review.

Susan

I did see some video of him playing on the TV and it was obvious it was from a Royal Caribbean ship. Personally I don't really care who the senior staff are and they don't impact my cruise experience.

From what I saw of him he was good. But, he sure does love himself. IMO.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Edited by FRMPEI

Thanks for posting. Looks like the weather was great for Embarkation.

Do you get a lot of 'looks' carrying the extension pole around?

Thanks for your comments. The weather was fantastic all week just a little windy in places. But you don't have to shovel wind.:D

A Go Pole does get it fair share of looks. Like any thing they are becoming more common place and the looks are decreasing. While at Maho beach there was no shortage of Go Pros.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

We arrived at or near 12 noon EST then 2 hours to get out side for transfer. 45 minute ride to Port Everglades. It was a few minutes past 3:OO Pm before we set foot on Silhouette.

Halifax means you are on Reflection and leaving from Miami and if you plane leaves on time maybe just after 1:00 PM for you. Keep your fingers crossed.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Duh ... just realizing you sailed out of FLL. Was thinking time seemed a bit off somewhere. Yes fingers crossed :)