CT_Day02_030215_ArtAuction-XL.jpg

Port Talk Promo Junk Mail

CT_Day02_030215_PortTalk-XL.jpg

Port Talk Promo Junk Mail Extra Tickets

CT_Day02_030215_PortTalk_back-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Day 1 - iPhone Story

Here is a little story I forgot to mention on our flight down to Miami. What triggered this was somebody posted yesterday that they lost their new iPhone 5s by leaving it in the safe when they left. I also almost lost my iPhone... it was not left in a safe but rather almost flushed down the toilet of Canadian North Airlines.

My first trip back to the aft washrooms... finished my business and about to lean over and push the flush button and then figured I should close the lid first because of that GUSHHHING! vacuum noise. After closing the lid I leaned over to push the flush button and out comes my iPhone 5s out of my Hooddie/Kangaroo pocket and hits dead square on the closed lid and eventually lands on the floor. Whew! That was close it would have landed in the bowl and straight down to the sludge holding tank. YuK! That would have cost me $200 on Rogers extended service warranty for a replacement because I would of never asked for it back. Lets say the iPhone did not come back for any future washroom trips.

Maybe not as good as my luggage story from last year's Equinox Trip Report?

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hi Cathy,

Are you a Barrie Colts fan? That is one of my regrets when we lived in Newmarket not seeing any OHL games but we were huge Jr A Newmarket Hurricane fans. Donna, Nolan and I are huge QMJHL Charlottetown Islanders fan.

Thanks for the comments keep tuned.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Most definitely we are fans...can't possibly live here and not be a fan of some degree! Big hockey town, I"m sure yours is the same.

Cathy

Did you go to the Porch or the Bistro?

Our original plan was to hit Bistro on Five when we embarked but, we got on so darn late in day we were lucky enough to find a slice of pizza in Oceanview. I think if Donna and I were by ourselves we would of eventually tried Bistro during the week but unfortunately we did not try it this trip. Last year on Equinox we did do Bistro on Five during embarkation day.

This was our third time on Silhouette and have yet to try The Porch. Donna had made point to say that during our second week of our 2013 Silhouette B2B they we must try The Porch but still have not. We did do the Lawn Grill for lunch on the second last seas day which was very yummy.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I've eaten at the porch on Reflection. While the food is nothing special and could be obtained elsewhere on the ship, the location is good and it's nice to have someone else bring the food instead of having to go hunt for it and then hunt for a table at which to consume it. There is a small cover charge, but I thought it was reasonable (and it helps to keep the number of people using the venue manageable.)

I've eaten at the porch on Reflection. While the food is nothing special and could be obtained elsewhere on the ship, the location is good and it's nice to have someone else bring the food instead of having to go hunt for it and then hunt for a table at which to consume it. There is a small cover charge, but I thought it was reasonable (and it helps to keep the number of people using the venue manageable.)

What is the cover charge and do you have to reserve a table or just show up and hope there is room.

I am generally not the best to ask if I remember a crew member especially bartenders because I don't drink. I will remember faces of crew members from cruise to cruise but only sometimes their name. The name Taz does not ring a bell but I was talking to one bar server at the Martini Bar later on Friday evening about all things Go Pros and maybe this is him? Is It?

CS15HX_%25202126-XL.jpg

Thanks for following and adding your comments.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hi,

I can confirm, this is Taz, a good friend of mines rom Turkey!

I am generally not the best to ask if I remember a crew member especially bartenders because I don't drink. I will remember faces of crew members from cruise to cruise but only sometimes their name. The name Taz does not ring a bell but I was talking to one bar server at the Martini Bar later on Friday evening about all things Go Pros and maybe this is him? Is It?

CS15HX_%25202126-XL.jpg

Thanks for following and adding your comments.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hi,

I can confirm, this is Taz, a good friend of mines from Turkey!

Hi,

We were talking for a few minutes and I did remember him saying his was from Turkey and he wanted to purchase a Go Pro 4. I recommended that he not buy the 4 silver but rather the 4 black. I also suggested that if he could find any 3+ Black that would also be a very goof purchase. Why? No to Silver. Personally I find the LCD screen useless. I purchased one and I never use it. You don't need a preview screen on an action camera especially when it does not zoom in or out.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

CS15HX_%25200197%2520-%2520Version%25202-X2.jpg

Day 2 - Sea Day #1 - Sunrise

Alarm set for 6:00 AM sunrise as per Celebrity Today 6:24 AM. Woke up without alarm at 5:55 AM assemblied my camera gear as quietly as possible trying not to wake Donna. You know what? I am not a morning person and I do ike to sleep in on non work days. But when I am cruising I love to get up early and capture the sunrises.

Straight up to deck 15 to take possession of my favourite sunrise capture spot at the top of stairs leading up to the Lawn club. But first I snapped this picture looking down from deck 15 to Deck 10 Library.

CS15GW_%25200001-XL.jpg

This next picture is where i like to setup at the top of the stairs. Please don't steal my spot if we are cruising together but feel free to to use it any other time.

CS15HX_%25200171-XL.jpg

A Go Pro selfie taken with the iPhone app while setting things up. You can use the iPhone app to preview what you are going to record. I then recommend turning the GoPro's wifi off to conserve battery before recording your sunrise time lapse.

CS15GP_%25200079-XL.jpg

No sunrise yet appeared in this picture below. But you can see where and how I fasten my camera. I use the same setup when I use Go Pro or Handycam.

CS15HX_%25200178-XL.jpg

On the mornings that I did get up to capture the sunrise there was one other lady who normally was sitting in the Porch area enjoying a book. Picture of this area in the next photo.

CS15GW_%25200005-XL.jpg

It is so peaceful and quite at this time of the day. Only a few people using the walking/jogging track. Here is a pet peeve of mine and the walking track. Let say it is between 10:00 AM and 11:00 AM and the sun worshipper are out in full most if not all lounge chairs are gone with lots of folks walking back and forth on deck 14. Then you have Mr or Mrs joggers thinks by saying, "excuse me" that everybody at or near track must clear out for them. Um! NO! I ain't moving if you want to jog/walk unrestricted then get up with me at 6:00 AM when there is nobody on it. For us Canadians I would love to hear Rick Mercer giving his rant on that?

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Edited by FRMPEI

Day 2 - Sea Day #1 - Sunrise

The first sign of the sun peaking out of the horizon. Love being up there by myself watching the sun saying hello for another day.

CS15HX_%25200186-XL.jpg

There it is finally above the horizon but still behind clouds.

CS15HX_%25200195-XL.jpg

I was noticing how the sun was reflecting in the glass so I tried to capture that in the next picture. See lots of room on the Track!

CS15HX_%25200214-XL.jpg

Next couple of picture were taken just after sunrise had hit parts of the Lawn Club.

The Art Studio.

CS15GW_%25200004-XL.jpg

The Lawn Club's entrance to the Lawn Grill.

CS15GW_%25200003-XL.jpg

Since it was just past 6:30 AM and the Sunrise was right on time I decide to take some rides on the elevator. Why? I wanted to get some video footage that would be unobstructed by stops. It was a great success and I hope to be able to use some of it in my videos.

Next picture taken from elevator towards the walking track turn around. I call these wandering pictures.Where I am usually out by myself with camera(s) in hand.

CS15GW_%25200017-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hi,

Oh, thanks so much. I was going to look at my pictures to see if that really was him! So glad to see he's still on the ship. He was the BEST server we've ever had & always so polite & with a big smile to greet us every day. When you see him or speak with him give him our regards & we hope to see him again on a future cruise. Not sure if he'll remember us as it was on our St. Paddy's cruise awhile ago, but tell him the O'Connor's said hello.

Thanks again for the info, & sorry if I hijacked this thread. :eek:

Day 2 - Sea Day # 1

After I am finished with the sunrise I would either go to Deck 5's Cafe al Bacio or Oceanview's and get Donna a Hot chocolate to take back to the room before breakfast.

Relaxing for a few minutes on the balcony. My Irish skin legs. I am always very careful when I am out in the sun... I always wear a hat and have lots of sun screen on. Maybe that is why I enjoy pre sunrise no UV rays.

CS15HX_%25200216-XL.jpg

Donna and I did a little wandering before our 8:30 AM meet up time in the MDR for breakfast.

Looking aft you can see how the overhang here is midship. If you are a balcony sun worshipper you will get shade here at certain times of the day.

CS15HX_%25200219-XL.jpg

il Secondo Bacio probably the bar that I seems to frequent mostly. It can get very busy especially since Silhouette features the Bacio components up here in Oceanview.

CS15HX_%25200228-XL.jpg

As you can tell from the next two picture and the previous one there are still not many people up yet or moving.

CS15HX_%25200229-XL.jpg

CS15HX_%25200231-XL.jpg

Selfie in the Oceanview.

CS15HX_%25200232-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Amazing. I'm more relaxed after looking at your pictures. Not the same as being there, but being able to relate to the pictures is calming. :D

Thanks Mark. I wish you and Beth were with us on this one. No Hot Glass show for you but Lawn Grill for us. :)

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Day 2 - Sea Day #1 - Sunrise in 20 Seconds Video

Attached below is a link to a quick 20 second Time lapse video of the sunrise. Not necessarily the best sunrise that I have ever captured but, still neat to see in 20 seconds. FYI the sunrise clip is speed up to 4303%. Video is hosted on my Vimeo Channel.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Day 2 - Sea Day #1

A few more pictures I snapped before the vast majority of folks woke up.

Aft outside Oceanview very calm.

CS15HX_%25200222-XL.jpg

CS15HX_%25200223-XL.jpg

CS15GW_%25200013-XL.jpg

Early morning wake

CS15GW_%25200012-XL.jpg

CS15GW_%25200027-XL.jpg

Lean over and look all the way down to deck 3

CS15GW_%25200032-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Day 2 - Sea Day #1 & Chocolate Croissants

I forgot to mention this on my walk back from the sunrise. So on my way back to the room with my hands full of cameras and hot chocolate I figured I would just knock on our door so Donna could open the door for me. No answers so I look up and notice I am at door 1097 not 1093. Oops! Sorry 1097. Noticed on our walk past for breakfast that they put out their Do Not Disturb sign. Sorry Again.

We generally go to the Main Dining Room (MDR) for breakfast rather than the rush/busy pace of the Oceanview. This would also be my first chance to see the progress of the new Suites only new Luminae dining room. I can't say for sure if they were using it or not this cruise. So Celebrity basically took away the Deck 3 Starboard entrance to the Grand Cuvee MDR and made that the exclusive entrance to Luminae. From the pictures below you can see how much of starboard side of the lower Grand Cuvee MDR has been taken away. Tables in the pictures below are already setup for galley tour crowd that is set for 10:30 AM.

CS15HX_%25200233-XL.jpg

CS15HX_%25200238-XL.jpg

So if this the first time you are seeing the Luminae being craved out of the MDR's what are your thoughts. Here are mine that I jotted down. Firstly it looks out of place. I also thinks it destroys the symmetry of the beautiful MDR's. I am sure Celebrity will have this all figured out for their new Edge class of ships?

The MDR was quite busy for breakfast but service was very fast and delicious. I have learnt not to over do it for breakfast and usually have a couple of chocolate croissants, plain egg white omelette, bacon, and OJ. That isn't over doing is it? Well maybe on the Chocolate Croissant but they are SO GOOD. Before the cruise Donna took home some Chocolate Croissants from Costco and they were just a cheap imitation of Celebrity's.

Adam took a pic of his breakfast.

CS15WA_%25200044-XL.jpg

CS15HX_%25200237-XL.jpg

I am going to cheat here a bit with the next pic. This is from last year's pictures. But, doesn't it look gorgeous? I want one NOW! Please! Pretty Please!

CE14GW_%25200662-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Fabulous! You are inspiring me to get up and out early and experience the sunrise.

Come along and "Feel the Sunrise". Thanks for your comments.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I am loving your review. From the aft outside ocean-view are you able to lean down and see in the aft balconies? We have an aft next year (2154) and were wondering how private that balcony is.

Thanks!