BEAUTIFUL SILHOUETTE - East Caribbean - Photo Video Trip Report 3/1/15

FRMPEI

Day 4 - St Kitts

Welcome back everyone I needed a couple of evenings to get caught up on things at home.

So we get back to the pier around 3 PM after our great fun filled Zip lining adventure. We were all a bit hungry so we rushed back to the ship to get a quick bite but, not too much because we had a 7 PM reservation up on the Lawn Grill. Nolan and I had a burger from Mast Grill. After our quick bite we all went back out to the port shops. Donna found a pair of Croc Flip Flops for $45 US which she felt wasn't a bad price. Nolan pick up a few things for his girlfriend.

The boys head back out

CS15HX_%25201083-XL.jpg

While I was sitting on a bench waiting for the rest of them to come out of the shops I struck up a conversation with a gentleman sitting beside me. I assumed he was like us and was a passenger on either ship that was in today. He actually was not a passenger but rather a person who came into St kitts on a Catamaran because he was losing the battle against the wind. Adam said he looked like the captain from "E" channel's Below Deck.

CS15HX_%25201118-XL.jpg

While we were walking back through "the ship tunnel" to get back on board Silhouette. Donna says to me, "that lady is the lady who was on the show about the Oasis of the Seas". Donna of course was pointing to our Guest Relations Manager, Julie Sherrington. Julie says, "yes! that was me". Independence of the Sea was just about to leave and Julie was down talking to some of her friends/former co-workers.

CS15HX_%25201127-XL.jpg

The boys and I wanted to catch the Independence of the Seas leaving form deck 14. Boy the wind was still howling pretty good up there and it got worst when we lost our wind block from Independence.

First a shot of the Lawn Club

CS15GW_%25200235-XL.jpg

Now this next picture is a rather neat place to watch your ship sail-way. My question here is maybe some RCI cruisers will know the answer. Is this an invite only destination to watch sail-away?

CS15GW_%25200240-XL.jpg

CS15GW_%25200242-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Edited by FRMPEI

Day 4 - St Kitts

For our sail away I wanted to capture/video it from the bow of the ship. I first checked my 2014 video of Equinox to see if I had a bow sail away from St Kitts or St Maarten.(It was St Maarten) Adam and I went up to the fitness centre on deck 12 to capture the sail away from the bow's open deck. Wow! the the wind was extremely strong up there and even knocked my Go Pro off the rail. My Islanders hat had no chance out here so I safely put it back into the fitness centre. Before all the ropes were let go it seemed like the captain was using her bow thrusters and azipods to keep Silhouette next to the dock because of the strong winds. When Silhouette pulled away from the dock a rope must of previously snapped because it was left behind on the dock. As soon as Silhouette turned her aft into the wind it became so calm at our bow position.

Some pictures we took before heading off to get ready for dinner at the Lawn club.

CS15WA_%25200628-XL.jpg

CS15NN_%25200515-XL.jpg

CS15NN_%25200530-XL.jpg

Boys taking full advantage of their beverage package

CS15GW_%25200249-XL.jpg

CS15NN_%25200535-XL.jpg

Back in our cabin while getting ready for dinner Donna enlightened me about my overly enthusiastic video requests from the boys during our zip lining and how took it away from their enjoyment of the zip lining. I agreed and knew I owed my boys an apology. I do think the Video did turn out pretty good despite the director over enthusiasms.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

CT_Day04_030415_LawnGrillResr-XL.jpg

I'm a huge fan of your reviews! Great video!!

thanks for sharing!

Why the need to edit it down? We would have watched the whole thing! :D

Thanks for the comments and especially on the video. The poor videos get no respect here on Cruise Critic. Personally I love the videos and will continue to include them in my Trip Reports. If you want "more" click the Vimeo Album link in my signature and there is a much longer version (49 minutes) of 2014's Equinox Daze which include a section on our Zip Line which I think is a little different from the 2014 Stand Alone Zip Line video.

Thanks again for the comments,

Kevin Reid

Kevin, yes sailaway from the helipad is by invitation only. Maybe make friends with the CD or the CC host/hostess and ask to be invited. You could do one of your cool videos and post it on YouTube--win/win for everybody.

Linda

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the response. Not really my style to make requests like that I am more passive aggressive ... so if Celebrity would like to invite us on our March 6, 2016 Eclipse sailing (hint) to the Helipad for a sail way? I would not say no. :)

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Thanks for the great photos, videos, and comments. We get on the Silhouette in just under two weeks, and I also recently purchased a GoPro Hero4. By the looks of things you recommend recording in 1080p and 60fps.

Thanks for the great photos, videos, and comments. We get on the Silhouette in just under two weeks, and I also recently purchased a GoPro Hero4. By the looks of things you recommend recording in 1080p and 60fps.

Yes! That is what I recommend. If you are new to the Go Pro thing don't wait until your cruise to play with your Go Pro. Take some time now familiarize your self with it. Especially on how to navigate thru the menus. Not sure if you got the silver or black assuming you have a smart phone (iPhone or that other thing) download the free Go Pro app. With the black you get a remote which I am not big fan of the iPhone app is so much better and easier to use and navigate. If you have an iPad download the free Go Pro app to that also. The only thing that I am aware that the Go Pro app can't do what the remote can is control more than one Go Pro at once. Actually the remote can control up to fifty at once. Oh Yeah! the remote is also waterproof and your iPhone is not.:D

Thanks for your comments,

Kevin Reid

CS15WA_%25200663%2520-%2520Version%25202-X3.jpg

Day 4 - St Kitts - Lawn Club Grill

This would be our first time trying out the Lawn Club Grill Venue. Well actually not for me because back in 2013 when Ken and I did the behind the scenes tour lunch at the Lawn Club Grill was included. Some of you may not want to hear what I am going to say next so please close your ears or eyes now. I love that Silhouette and Reflection got rid of the Corning Hot Glass Show and replaced it with an "evil" revenue producing speciality dining like the Lawn Club Grill. Sorry and to say it! You can now open your ears and eyes.

Couple of daytime pictures of the Lawn Club Grill

CS15GP_%25200453-XL.jpg

CS15NN_%25200751-XL.jpg

Here is the one page only menu broken up into three pictures to make it a little easier to read

CS15HX_%25201170-XL.jpg

CS15HX_%25201171-XL.jpg

CS15HX_%25201172-XL.jpg

Stay tuned! The boys make their own flat bread and of course I got it on video. So hard not to say video tape. LOL!

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Yes! That is what I recommend. If you are new to the Go Pro thing don't wait until your cruise to play with your Go Pro. Take some time now familiarize your self with it. Especially on how to navigate thru the menus. Not sure if you got the silver or black assuming you have a smart phone (iPhone or that other thing) download the free Go Pro app. With the black you get a remote which I am not big fan of the iPhone app is so much better and easier to use and navigate. If you have an iPad download the free Go Pro app to that also. The only thing that I am aware that the Go Pro app can't do what the remote can is control more than one Go Pro at once. Actually the remote can control up to fifty at once. Oh Yeah! the remote is also waterproof and your iPhone is not.:D

Thanks for your comments,

Kevin Reid

Thanks for the tip. Downloading as we speak.

Some of you may not want to hear what I am going to say next so please close your ears or eyes now. I love that Silhouette and Reflection got rid of the Corning Hot Glass Show and replaced it with an "evil" revenue producing speciality dining like the Lawn Club Grill. Sorry and to say it! You can now open your ears and eyes.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

That was for my benefit, right? :eek:

Some of you may not want to hear what I am going to say next so please close your ears or eyes now. I love that Silhouette and Reflection got rid of the Corning Hot Glass Show and replaced it with an "evil" revenue producing speciality dining like the Lawn Club Grill. Sorry and to say it! You can now open your ears and eyes.

I'm one who prefers the Corning Hot Glass show. Isn't it great that we have choices? You can choose a ship that has the grill; I can choose a ship that has the hot glass show.

Linda

I'm one who prefers the Corning Hot Glass show. Isn't it great that we have choices? You can choose a ship that has the grill; I can choose a ship that has the hot glass show.

Linda

I'm with you, Linda. I love the hot glass show. Last cruise I didn't miss a single show.

Linda

I'm with you, Linda. I love the hot glass show. Last cruise I didn't miss a single show.

Me, too!

Only problem is what it does to the pocketbook at that end of cruise charity auction. :o :p

I've been wondering - can I use non-refundable OBC towards paying for that?

Kevin, yes sailaway from the helipad is by invitation only. Maybe make friends with the CD or the CC host/hostess and ask to be invited. You could do one of your cool videos and post it on YouTube--win/win for everybody.

Linda

FYI:

It appears that was a picture of the Helipad on the Independence on her sailaway from St. Kitts. The helipad on the Independence is open to anyone... we used it last Thanksgiving when we watched us sail away from St. Kitts ... and the Silhouette :):) The helipads are open on all Freedom class ships (except when weather conditions don't allow). It been one our favorite spots to be when leaving or arriving in a port.

Edited by Gaynors

Linda

Me, too!

Only problem is what it does to the pocketbook at that end of cruise charity auction. :o :p

I've been wondering - can I use non-refundable OBC towards paying for that?

You guys are right! Maybe on Eclipse next March 2016 I can get a whole new appreciation for it. I know Donna will not be with me though.:) She is not a big fan of it.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Still loving your review and pictures! Before I left for my own Silhouette cruise, your review was making me terribly excited. Now it's flooding me with awesome memories (I was there! I sat there! I drank that!) and making me just a tiny little bit sad that it's over. So weird to be planning for so long and to have it be over.

Thank you for your hard work :)

Oh! I know you and Beth love that stuff. You were popping up in my pictures every where last year.

CE14HX_%25202132-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Still loving your review and pictures! Before I left for my own Silhouette cruise, your review was making me terribly excited. Now it's flooding me with awesome memories (I was there! I sat there! I drank that!) and making me just a tiny little bit sad that it's over. So weird to be planning for so long and to have it be over.

Thank you for your hard work :)

Glad you are still with me on my recap of our trip. Be sure to chime in with your experiences. The fun is the planning and anticipation. Donna and I are already looking forward and planning for our March 2016 14 day Eclipse.

Thanks For coming Back

Kevin Reid

FYI:

It appears that was a picture of the Helipad on the Independence on her sailaway from St. Kitts. The helipad on the Independence is open to anyone... we used it last Thanksgiving when we watched us sail away from St. Kitts ... and the Silhouette :):) The helipads are open on all Freedom class ships (except when weather conditions don't allow). It been one our favorite spots to be when leaving or arriving in a port.

Thanks for the update on that. I think that would be a cool place to not only watch but also video. I can see me now planning out where to put all my cameras to catch that perfect 3 second clip to use.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Day 4 - St Kitts - Lawn Club Grill

The Lawn Club Grill was not only a great experience but also great food.(we love our steak and potatoes) We all agreed we would love to try it again. We had a fantastic waiter... sorry I am not good at noting servers names. We actually got to talk to him a bit more on the second last sea day while we were in our Alcove. He was great!

CS15MW_%25200257-XL.jpg

The boys quickly volunteered to make our flatbreads. They had to sign some type of waiver and wash up and dawn the sporty Lawn Club Grill apron. I think Celebrity is missing out and should be selling these aprons in the gift shop. I know we would have bought at least four. The instructions provided were very good and they were also very patient with all the volunteers. I videoed the flat bread making and hope to have that up here soon.

CS15HX_%25201182-XL.jpg

The flatbread chefs waiting for their creations to bake while enjoying an adult beverage.

CS15HX_%25201183-XL.jpg

CS15WA_%25200679-XL.jpg

The final result with a piece already taken out. (a blatant violation of my picture policy)

CS15HX_%25201190-XL.jpg

Now I am not sure if they still offer the diners that option to cook their own steak or not because I did not see any of the diners up at the grill.

The waiter insisted that we try the lamb chops and when our orders came it also came with one lamb chop each. Believe it or not none of the six of us had ever tried lamb chops before. I tried mine but didn't really like it. Nolan found a new favourite and loved the lamb chops and I think he ate like three of them.

These fix'ins proved popular and tasty with us

CS15HX_%25201195-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

That Equinox cruise may have been our favorite cruise ever. Met a lot of great people, some from Canada ;) , and had a lot of fun on our excursions.

I'm not sure why I am so fascinated with the Hot Glass Show. It amazes me how they manipulate the glass. Some pieces you can see them shape right before eyes and you have a good idea what the end piece will look like. And then sometimes you don't know what it is until the very last technique.

Glad you are still with me on my recap of our trip. Be sure to chime in with your experiences. The fun is the planning and anticipation. Donna and I are already looking forward and planning for our March 2016 14 day Eclipse.

Thanks For coming Back

Kevin Reid

I forgot to ask: what was your San Juan excursion back in 2013? The way you described it reminded me of ours and, if it was the same, I agree: not very good (except the fort).