In Light of Tunisia Events

jhannah

I've said it before -- If I have to go, I'd much rather it be while I am happily traveling somewhere than having a massive coronary slumped over my desk at work, or killed in a wreck during my daily commute (which is hands-down the most risky behavior I engage in....)

My doctors father was in his early 80s . He was on a fishing charter off some island and caught a Marlin after wrestling with it for hours , Went back to the hotel, him and his party celebrated all night dancing, eating, drinking.. He was a big shot with all the other guests that night. Had a bunch of pictures taken with the fish and everyone hugging and smiling with him. A few of them with a bunch of pretty young girls :)

he went to bed and died in his sleep that night.

My doctor said of course it was a shock and he misses him terribly. But he went out fighting and happy and on top.

And he would rather that than having him another few years , sick and frail and not knowing where he is .

He has the fish and some of those pictures is his office. Whenever I see them , I can't help smile and think "I should be so lucky"

Edited by babyher

I will be boarding the Prinsendam in two weeks and the Med cruise includes stops in Israel and Turkey. Is the Middle East a dangerous place? It sure is but then so is some places in south Florida. I have plenty of places that I have yet seen and want to see them.

Where is the like button?

Mesa Az. was a dangerous place yesterday and Mexico has been a dangerous place for years. That doesn't stop us from living in Mesa or cruising to Mexico.

Edited by lazey1

My doctors father was in his early 80s . He was on a fishing charter off some island and caught a Marlin after wrestling with it for hours , Went back to the hotel, him and his party celebrated all night dancing, eating, drinking.. He was a big shot with all the other guests that night. Had a bunch of pictures taken with the fish and everyone hugging and smiling with him. A few of them with a bunch of pretty young girls :)

he went to bed and died in his sleep that night.

My doctor said of course it was a shock and he misses him terribly. But he went out fighting and happy and on top.

And he would rather that than having him another few years , sick and frail and not knowing where he is .

He has the fish and some of those pictures is his office. Whenever I see them , I can't help smile and think "I should be so lucky"

Great story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Who of us would rather die an inch a day in some nursing home? :eek:

Mesa Az. was a dangerous place yesterday and Mexico has been a dangerous place for years. That doesn't stop us from living in Mesa or cruising to Mexico.

How awful what happened in Mesa. With all the attention given to Tunis, no one has thought to express our sadness at what happened in lovely Mesa. I am so sorry for the terror there.

I'm just wondering since I know for a while calls to Egypt had been cancelled it now seems things have settled down somewhat there I know the USA is considering re-establishing military aid and operations with the new regime.

We will be in Istanbul in October after our 11 day cruise spending 3 days there post-cruise. Istanbul is one of the greatest cities in the world, regardless if jihadists are using it has a gateway to join ISIS. This is most likely the only chance in my lifetime to visit Istanbul so I can't let fear change my mind.

-Paul

Like most cruisers (I expect), we have been thinking about that today. I think there is probably more risk in the nations who have been alies in military excercises in Iraq and Afganistan (thank you Blair and Bush). Although Britain and the US have thwarted attempts so far, we're still a target. In addition, the moderate Islamic countries like Tunisia and, I suspect, Turkey and Morocco are in the terrorist's sight. Also the more moderate parts of Pakistan. We have been considering a Asia cruise which leaves from Abu Dhabi and visits the UAE. I wouldn't have thought such countries would be particulary vulnerable, since they are strict Muslim states, thus the extremists haven't got much to hate there! They would hate us at the ports of course, but there is less likely to be a presence of terrorists there than in more moderate states in my view. I'm guessing, but I think we're probably more at risk in Paris (due to the provocative cartoons), Holland (cartoons), London (Blair) or Washington (US) than those Middle Eastern States. The cruise in question visits a few ports in India (the main attraction for us). I can't judge the risk there. I'll have to research it. We wouldn't take risks willy nilly, but we only have one life. I have recently retired. My partner (soon to be hubby) has been retired a few years. We want to travel and we won't let the terrorist scum get in the way of that.

We have three seven day BTBs aboard the Star Clipper out of Athens bound for the islands and ultimately Istanbul. We will go, be wary and hope for a continued good Dollar/Euro exchange rate. Our HAL cruises seem to be limited to the Caribbean.

I've said it before -- If I have to go, I'd much rather it be while I am happily traveling somewhere than having a massive coronary slumped over my desk at work, or killed in a wreck during my daily commute (which is hands-down the most risky behavior I engage in....)

-- I so agree, you will never know when that mac truck is about to hit, as we say up here,

I've lived in some "interesting" places in my life. Some of those I do not wish to revisit. At this moment in my life I have no interest in visiting Africa, the Middle East or Venezuela. We have relatives in Eastern Europe and always feel safe there. We just returned from Turkey. I was very comfortable in Ephesus but something was nagging at me in Istanbul. I've been in London during IRA bombings and in Paris when a plane was blown up at the airport....but never felt I was the target. I told my TA this morning that even though the dollar is high right now I'll stick close to home for awhile. ISIS wants to make a big splash somewhere and only they know where the next target might be.

I live 15 minutes from Sandy Hook Connecticut. Have friends that live there. It doesn't get anymore upscale, Norman Rockwell painting, bedroom community "it doesn't happen here " than this place .....and yet ......

The person that did it wasn't some foreign terrorist, ISIS, guerilla etc. He was a kid who grew up there in one of those million dollar homes.

you don't know

We visited Boston scarcely 6 weeks after the bombing in 2013. We walked down Boylston street to the site of the bombing and visited with the merchants there. The spirit in that town was incredible. The pride that was displayed by the merchants and residents made me proud to be an American citizen. All of the ribbons that were tied to the church fence is something that I will never forget. Those cowards that made the bombs, then ran and hid like rats weren't the victors in that act. It was the survivors and heroes that stepped up and showed the world that the cream rises to the top!

I have lived in Russia (Venezuela and various other countries).

An American colleague of mine decided to relocate from Moscow to Houston, as he felt his children would be safer in the US. Soon after moving to Houston, he & his family were robbed at gun point, the older son fatally shot protecting his parents.

While I was still living in Moscow, a Russian colleague of mine brought me a pile of newspaper clippings. All were about American school shootings.

Again, anything can happen anywhere under the "right" circumstances.

We visited Boston scarcely 6 weeks after the bombing in 2013. We walked down Boylston street to the site of the bombing and visited with the merchants there. The spirit in that town was incredible. The pride that was displayed by the merchants and residents made me proud to be an American citizen. All of the ribbons that were tied to the church fence is something that I will never forget. Those cowards that made the bombs, then ran and hid like rats weren't the victors in that act. It was the survivors and heroes that stepped up and showed the world that the cream rises to the top!

The Red Sox even went and won us a World Series that year. :)

Freedom in America was born in Boston/MA.

Paul Revere and all that........ :)

I think we are at risk in someways wherever we are. I could be in a serious accident tomorrow or drop dead. It will not stop me travelling, though obviously I would take government advice seriously. I visited Tunis and Turkey in the summer. These were 2 places I didn't feel particularly comfortable. However my husband did not feel this way at all. I would not chose to visit Ukraine, Russia, Turkey, Africa etc. but I probably wouldn't have chosen those places for a long time either.

We are however considering moving to the UAE for a couple of years. I don't feel this will necessary be a target but I do feel a little concerned when looking at how close it is to other countries in the Middle East!

Maybe it's because we live in New England, but we are still very comfortable going to Boston and spending the day or whatever. We are actually driving down to board the Veendam to Bermuda in May, we will probably stay overnight the day before embarkation. This is not to make light of the tragedy of the Marathon Bombing, it was a horrific event. But I've been going down to Boston almost all of my life, and we aren't going to stop now. What I do know is that at this point in history, it's especially important to be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are. That being said, we would say no to travelling to Africa, the Middle East, Russia & Ukraine, and any other hot spot for trouble. My husband absolutely refuses any kind of travel to Mexico, and that includes cruises and all inclusives.

Lorie

"My husband absolutely refuses any kind of travel to Mexico, and that includes cruises and all inclusives."

He's right. I agree.

My DH and I live in a borough of NYC and have been very aware of our surroundings ever since 9/11. The threat of terrorism has never gone away. The way we see and deal with our environment has changed. We try and be more aware, but we continue with our daily lives. We are both at the point where we are planning longer and more adventurous travel. My DH is retired and I am still employed. Our children are grown. This is our time. I don't want to be intimidated by the evil in the world, but I can't ignore it either. Will we continue to travel? Absolutely!! I think we will be choosing our cruises and our travels carefully, but we will continue to travel. Its a big beautiful world, with many wonderful cultures and lovely people we would like to explore and meet. We will keep informed and plan carefully before planning our travels and pray that we'll be safe. I feel thats the best that we can do. Best wishes for everyone in your future travels. Don't let the evil win.

I was so looking foward to taking a cruise with three ports in India. I hadn't considered it a high risk area. All this discussion got me checking the British Goverments travel advice. Sadly, it seems Islamic extremists have made recent threats to sites, especially those attracting tourists, in India, and its now on the list of countries considered high risk for terrorism. I looked for additional information on Goa. Apparently, known ISIS extremists are renting accommodation there 😮 I guess the Authorities are not addressing it at this time. Unfortunately, I don't think we'd be comfortable visiting there. I feel annoyed to have our travel plans curtailed by terrorist b******s, but also so sad for the people effectected who rely upon tourism for their living 😌

I feel so fortunate to have been able to visit St. Petersburg, Istanbul and Kusadasi in more politically stable times. They hold some of the worlds most wonderous treasures and it is tragic that security concerns now outweigh their beauty.

Edited by localady

I feel so fortunate to have been able to visit St. Petersburg, Istanbul and Kusadasi in more politically stable times. They hold some of the worlds most wonderous treasures and it is tragic that security concerns now outweigh their beauty.

We're going back to Istanbul and Kusadasi in June and while we'll pay close attention to the situation we don't have any particular concerns right now. We may have a slightly different view......the only place we've been attacked or were in danger was at work right here in the US in the Pentagon on 9/11.

I will be boarding the Prinsendam in two weeks and the Med cruise includes stops in Israel and Turkey. Is the Middle East a dangerous place? It sure is but then so is some places in south Florida. I have plenty of places that I have yet seen and want to see them.

Have a wonderful cruise! I am in the process of trying to talk my DH into booking a land tour in Turkey which combines with a cruise going to Israel. I want to return to Israel which I loved when we were there off a cruise a few years back. Security is tight there and we are probably safer than in many places in the US.

It seems to me that there's a lot of bravado being expressed on this thread. I've experienced real and immediate personal danger at the hands of man, and I freely admit that my bravado was markedly diminished afterward.

Are we going to stop traveling? No, but we're not going to areas where terrorist activity is much more likely to occur. Yes, there is danger aplenty right here at home: accidents, natural disasters, criminal activity, etc. But do I drive at very high speeds, go surfing with hurricanes approaching, or go into high crime areas? Absolutely not. Common sense tells me not to do such things. Doing so would, IMHO, be courting disaster; and that's an activity with diminishing returns.

My purpose in posting this reply is to merely express a cautionary note based upon personal experience.

It seems to me that there's a lot of bravado being expressed on this thread. I've experienced real and immediate personal danger at the hands of man, and I freely admit that my bravado was markedly diminished afterward.

Are we going to stop traveling? No, but we're not going to areas where terrorist activity is much more likely to occur. Yes, there is danger aplenty right here at home: accidents, natural disasters, criminal activity, etc. But do I drive at very high speeds, go surfing with hurricanes approaching, or go into high crime areas? Absolutely not. Common sense tells me not to do such things. Doing so would, IMHO, be courting disaster; and that's an activity with diminishing returns.

My purpose in posting this reply is to merely express a cautionary note based upon personal experience.

Mulling things over, I'm inclined to agree. Most of us do avoid risky areas at home as you say, but many of us then go on holiday with a much more chilled attitude.