In Light of Tunisia Events

jhannah

What is your "fear factor" in light of the tourist shootings in Tunis? Even if you aren't going to that region, we all know travel is increasingly risky all over the world. I don't want to stop travelling and let terrorists win, but I must be aware of the risks. What's your outlook?

I would not consider traveling to the Middle East or parts of Eastern Europe, right now.

I am so grateful my late DH and I traveled so much through the years when the world was a very different place. I'd like to continue traveling but will not go to high risk areas. Then again, just about anywhere you mention in the world today is a 'high risk area'. Who would have thought it dangerous to go to Paris..... or Boston, for that matter?

Edited by sail7seas

By asking this question now, I suspect the results are going to be exaggerated by today's events.

Perhaps immediately following the Charlie Hebdo incident (in which, by the way, about the same number of people were killed), more people might have felt nervous about visiting Paris, but in the intervening period the fears of most may have calmed somewhat.

Events like this one -- if isolated -- might give me a moment's pause, but probably would not greatly change my travel plans.

This would not deter me but you do have to be as smart as possible. We have been to Tunis, saw the Bardo and many fabulous sites - all by private cab and not via a fleet of tour buses. Same with Egypt shortly after the Luxor massacre and tour bus shootings at the Egyptian Musuem in 1997. No matter where you go it's best to "try" to blend in. Very tragic day for victims and Tunisia.

I have no interest in most of the Middle East. Not because of threats, but because I have no interest in those areas, based upon my past experience.

I am not going to be detered from traveling to where I wish to go because of geopolitical situations. If I am on a ship and the ship docks in a port of which I have concerns, I will sleep late and enjoy a delightful day aboard the ship. I do not need to dismebark.

Boston is dangerous. Seriously. Marathon bombings with a couple of crazy nuts. Nothing is safe anymore. We pray daily for peace. It really sucks out there.

We live 20 miles south of Boston and I take issue with your post. Yes, the Marathon Bombing was absolutely devastating for all of us...but hopefully it was an isolated event.

It should not deter anyone from visiting our fine city. To say that "Boston is dangerous" is not fair, IMHO. Posts like this are the type of post that scare people needlessly. Unfortunately, the bombing was in Boston...but it could happen anywhere.

I hate to say it but frankly i think it is just a matter of time til some nut cases figure out how to fill an old fishing boat full of bombs and ram the side of a big ship somewhere. I really don't know how a big ship could stop that as there often seem to be all kinds of junky old boats around the ports that come very close to the docked ships...and knowing how much they want the media coverage they'd likely pick someplace in the USA where the cameras would capture the chaos.

Having said that i have no plans to stop traveling as I think we all know that there are both home grown and foreign nuts out there who can kill people anywhere anytime and spending your life trying to guess where they may strike next is not my idea of living.

We live 20 miles south of Boston and I take issue with your post. Yes, the Marathon Bombing was absolutely devastating for all of us...but hopefully it was an isolated event.

It should not deter anyone from visiting our fine city. To say that "Boston is dangerous" is not fair, IMHO. Posts like this are the type of post that scare people needlessly. Unfortunately, the bombing was in Boston...but it could happen anywhere.

Maybe it's because we live in New England, but we are still very comfortable going to Boston and spending the day or whatever. We are actually driving down to board the Veendam to Bermuda in May, we will probably stay overnight the day before embarkation. This is not to make light of the tragedy of the Marathon Bombing, it was a horrific event. But I've been going down to Boston almost all of my life, and we aren't going to stop now. What I do know is that at this point in history, it's especially important to be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are. That being said, we would say no to travelling to Africa, the Middle East, Russia & Ukraine, and any other hot spot for trouble. My husband absolutely refuses any kind of travel to Mexico, and that includes cruises and all inclusives.

Lorie

Maybe it's because we live in New England, but we are still very comfortable going to Boston and spending the day or whatever. We are actually driving down to board the Veendam to Bermuda in May, we will probably stay overnight the day before embarkation. This is not to make light of the tragedy of the Marathon Bombing, it was a horrific event. But I've been going down to Boston almost all of my life, and we aren't going to stop now. What I do know is that at this point in history, it's especially important to be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are. That being said, we would say no to travelling to Africa, the Middle East, Russia & Ukraine, and any other hot spot for trouble. My husband absolutely refuses any kind of travel to Mexico, and that includes cruises and all inclusives.

Lorie

Everyone I know who always enjoyed the evening in Boston, shopped, went to sports events, concerts, school, doctors etc etc still do all the same things in Boston they always did. I don't know of one person who stopped going into the city since the Marathon bombing.

I'm not cancelling my cruise in the fall in light of recent events. And, yes, in I'm planning on visiting at least many musuems. I'll be a little more observant than usual but it's not keeping me home. I was in Boston last spring, and even traveled in October of 2001. A good friend of mine says, when it's your time, it doesn't matter where you are and I'll leave it G-d's hands. I tend to agree with that statement.

I think any city and any country can be dangerous at this time. Certainly Boston is a lovely city but I think terrible things can happen anywhere. Obviously there are areas of the world I would not dare to travel. Everytime something like this happens, I rethink my traveling urges.

I will be boarding the Prinsendam in two weeks and the Med cruise includes stops in Israel and Turkey. Is the Middle East a dangerous place? It sure is but then so is some places in south Florida. I have plenty of places that I have yet seen and want to see them.

We're not going to change our Med cruise plans. Granted we were never scheduled to visit Tunisia so that particular port is not an issue. We will be visiting Turkey but as of right now we're not particularly concerned though we are and will pay attention over the next couple of months.

There is no way that I will stop cruising the world! We could get hit by a bus crossing the street in our little hometown and there are non-safe areas in every decent-sized city in the world!

In 2013, we were the 1st cruise ship in over a year to stop at Port Said and there were more security/police/military personnel accompanying us than passengers on tour. An MSC ship was shadowing us and they decided to bypass Port Said at the last minute. Admit it was creepy but glad we went. We are scheduled to cruise into Safaga and Valley of the Kings early next year and will definitely take a HAL tour regardless of the expense. The past killings at Luxor are concerning but then 9-11 does not stop us from going to NYC and the Boston bombing will not stop us from visiting Boston later this year. Agree with the previous statement about when it is your time, it is your time! BTW - A few cruise lines cancelled their Tunisia ports this morning.

I will be boarding the Prinsendam in two weeks and the Med cruise includes stops in Israel and Turkey. Is the Middle East a dangerous place? It sure is but then so is some places in south Florida. I have plenty of places that I have yet seen and want to see them.

I echo your words!!!

A tragic event can happen at anytime, anywhere in the world. This day with technology, the streaming, internet and cable tv, people hear everything immediately. This brings a rush of feelings and not much thinking or common sense. Many years ago you read the newspaper and that was sometimes a day behind in printing. Do I stop driving because my friend was killed in head on collision coming home from work one night? I believe when your time is up, it doesn't matter if you are on a cruise ship tour visiting a museum or sitting at your table having breakfast.

I would sugguest to those of us who desire to continue to travel and want to explore the cultures and heritage of other countries, to be savy travelers. Don't flaunt the western ways and disrespect a country's customs. I am going to Turkey in a few weeks and I will not be walking around in a bright colored outfit. I will have my head covered respecting their beliefs. Does that mean I am bowing to terrorism? NO, I am just respecting the country's ways and blending in as much as possible.

I echo your words!!!

A tragic event can happen at anytime, anywhere in the world. This day with technology, the streaming, internet and cable tv, people hear everything immediately. This brings a rush of feelings and not much thinking or common sense. Many years ago you read the newspaper and that was sometimes a day behind in printing. Do I stop driving because my friend was killed in head on collision coming home from work one night? I believe when your time is up, it doesn't matter if you are on a cruise ship tour visiting a museum or sitting at your table having breakfast.

I would sugguest to those of us who desire to continue to travel and want to explore the cultures and heritage of other countries, to be savy travelers. Don't flaunt the western ways and disrespect a country's customs. I am going to Turkey in a few weeks and I will not be walking around in a bright colored outfit. I will have my head covered respecting their beliefs. Does that mean I am bowing to terrorism? NO, I am just respecting the country's ways and blending in as much as possible.

I agree with you 100%

You cannot be afraid of everything and lock yourself up in your house.

Of course you watch your back and be aware of your surroundings and try not make yourself a target , but even that won't always work for you.

I am sure everyone on these boards knows of an area right in their hometown where you either have to use a little more caution when you have to go there , or better yet stay out of all together. Its not fear so much as using common sense.

I am a total believer in when it's your time , its your time. When you hear stories about the guy who missed his flight because he had a flat tire and the plane ends up crashing and killing everyone on board. well it was their time not his. If it was the plane would have landed safely and the guy would have dropped dead of a heart attack changing the tire.

I've said it before -- If I have to go, I'd much rather it be while I am happily traveling somewhere than having a massive coronary slumped over my desk at work, or killed in a wreck during my daily commute (which is hands-down the most risky behavior I engage in....)